Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JD obsession with keeping NEFC out of ECNL

This is part of the reason why there will be a girls DAP and it will be successful. Personalities and agendas don't make for successful businesses. It left a chink in the ECNL armor.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is part of the reason why there will be a girls DAP and it will be successful. Personalities and agendas don't make for successful businesses. It left a chink in the ECNL armor.
    Probably politics like this at play all over the nation, lots of rival clubs out there. Can DAP be different? Let's hope so.

Comment

Probably politics like this at play all over the nation, lots of rival clubs out there. Can DAP be different? Let's hope so.
      But the man has completely rejected them year after year. He has a duty as a leader in US soccer to promote the highest level of competition in the ECNL. Isn't that what the ECNL was started for in the first place?? Why keep out one of the more talented organizations in the nation, because it will hurt the stars. But Keeping NEFC out hurt the ECNL.....conundrum.

Comment

How about the fact the area can barely support 1 national, or at minimum regional level, ECNL team?

I don't feel there is sufficient talent to form another competitive side, but if it happens the next Mass team should be in Springfield or Western Mass and serve that area, including the multiple prep schools.

1 ECNL, and 1 girl's DAP team makes the most sense for the Boston, Eastern Mass area and suburbs. At most. Which would present an ECNL option at each age group and a DAP option in 2 year increments. These two teams would do the long distance, crazy travel a couple times a year, and the rest of us could place our kids on area teams that played within driving distance. Lots of winners in this structure.

The level of talent at clubs like PDA and Rush is incredible. To have even a slim chance of hanging with the big dogs requires a consolidation of top area players. Which since there are so many various and conflicting interests that might cost clubs, players or coaches makes it very unlikely. Too bad.

Comment

But the man has completely rejected them year after year. He has a duty as a leader in US soccer to promote the highest level of competition in the ECNL. Isn't that what the ECNL was started for in the first place?? Why keep out one of the more talented organizations in the nation, because it will hurt the stars. But Keeping NEFC out hurt the ECNL.....conundrum.
          JD has no 'duty' to dilute the talent pool even further, harming the ECNL, his players, his club, and yes, his pocketbook.

Comment

How about the fact the area can barely support 1 national, or at minimum regional level, ECNL team?

I don't feel there is sufficient talent to form another competitive side, but if it happens the next Mass team should be in Springfield or Western Mass and serve that area, including the multiple prep schools.

1 ECNL, and 1 girl's DAP team makes the most sense for the Boston, Eastern Mass area and suburbs. At most. Which would present an ECNL option at each age group and a DAP option in 2 year increments. These two teams would do the long distance, crazy travel a couple times a year, and the rest of us could place our kids on area teams that played within driving distance. Lots of winners in this structure.

The level of talent at clubs like PDA and Rush is incredible. To have even a slim chance of hanging with the big dogs requires a consolidation of top area players. Which since there are so many various and conflicting interests that might cost clubs, players or coaches makes it very unlikely. Too bad.
            Here we go with the rush obsession
            Which rush franchise specifically is getting your panties all wet?
            Remember when you said they were going to take over mass? Lol

Comment

This is BIG TIME Loser mentality. There are plenty of good mass players to support several teams. We don't need to win the national title to be successful. Developing more players on multiple teams will be way better than one perceived TOP team. Having 2-3 teams in MA gives parents and kids a better environment where they have choice (NO monopolies) and where good coaching/development will be rewarded. Today (wanting to play ECNL) if I live in the South Shore, I can only play for Breakers and if I live in Western MA, I can only play for Stars. Making practices for the other team is doable but difficult. Had NEFC and another team been included, then there would have been more possible/reasonable choices. If my kid didn't like the coach for the Breakers, then he could have tried NEFC or vice versa.

This type of thinking permeates Little League where towns try to merge leagues just so they can make Williamsport....arrrgghhh!

Comment

This is BIG TIME Loser mentality. There are plenty of good mass players to support several teams. We don't need to win the national title to be successful. Developing more players on multiple teams will be way better than one perceived TOP team. Having 2-3 teams in MA gives parents and kids a better environment where they have choice (NO monopolies) and where good coaching/development will be rewarded. Today (wanting to play ECNL) if I live in the South Shore, I can only play for Breakers and if I live in Western MA, I can only play for Stars. Making practices for the other team is doable but difficult. Had NEFC and another team been included, then there would have been more possible/reasonable choices. If my kid didn't like the coach for the Breakers, then he could have tried NEFC or vice versa.

This type of thinking permeates Little League where towns try to merge leagues just so they can make Williamsport....arrrgghhh!
                Want some cheese with your whine?

Comment

I agree with your last comment 100%. Merging leagues solely to win, and not for the benefit of the players, serves the egos of parents and coaches.

Having been involved with local soccer now for 20+ years I have seen most of the best girls teams. The top ones look great against local and occasionally regional competition, especially at the younger ages. As they age out most stagnate, become predictable, and rely on one style of play or a couple key players. Few have had the skills and abilities to change tactics and employ different strategies against top regional and national squads.

Various reasons. Injuries, lack of depth, lack of competition, tuning out their coach, boredom, less intensity or focus, to name just a few.

A clearly defined couple teams, pulling the majority of top 30 players from an age group solves most, if not all of these issues. The goal is not to win a national title, but rather to provide the training and play environment necessary for those driven to be their best to achieve it with a group of like minded players. This really doesn't happen often now.

This doesn't start at U-little. Young players should stick close to home and have the ball at their feet for as many hours of smiling, happy play they can stand. At U15 or so there should be a couple, well coached, clear top teams that have the goal of developing for D1 or higher play. The curriculum should include high expectations, with occasional play against professional women or boys teams as necessary to provide a glimpse of the possible.

Spreading the top 30-40 kids among 8 or 10 teams as happens now benefits coaches, clubs and parental egos more than individual player development.

I realize this suggestion is unlikely to happen, and that people will say this was the original goal of ODP (Which even at its height didn't spend enough time with the players as a team.), which failed. But that doesn't mean it isn't right.

Comment

But I thought that NEFC didn't want or need ECNL, and that they were much better off without ECNL? How could that be? Could it actually be true that ECNL is by far the premier league in the US, and JD was hurting a local competitor by locking them out?

My head hurts from all the double talk coming out of the NEFC Marketing Dept. Something major must be afoot, if they need to act this desperate.

Comment

Nice try. Too bad Stars seems to handle PDA and various Rush entities without much problem. The exception would be the current U17 PDA group, which is absolutely loaded. Beyond that? Stars has beaten them fairly consistently.

Comment

I agree with your last comment 100%. Merging leagues solely to win, and not for the benefit of the players, serves the egos of parents and coaches.

Having been involved with local soccer now for 20+ years I have seen most of the best girls teams. The top ones look great against local and occasionally regional competition, especially at the younger ages. As they age out most stagnate, become predictable, and rely on one style of play or a couple key players. Few have had the skills and abilities to change tactics and employ different strategies against top regional and national squads.

Various reasons. Injuries, lack of depth, lack of competition, tuning out their coach, boredom, less intensity or focus, to name just a few.

A clearly defined couple teams, pulling the majority of top 30 players from an age group solves most, if not all of these issues. The goal is not to win a national title, but rather to provide the training and play environment necessary for those driven to be their best to achieve it with a group of like minded players. This really doesn't happen often now.

This doesn't start at U-little. Young players should stick close to home and have the ball at their feet for as many hours of smiling, happy play they can stand. At U15 or so there should be a couple, well coached, clear top teams that have the goal of developing for D1 or higher play. The curriculum should include high expectations, with occasional play against professional women or boys teams as necessary to provide a glimpse of the possible.

Spreading the top 30-40 kids among 8 or 10 teams as happens now benefits coaches, clubs and parental egos more than individual player development.

I realize this suggestion is unlikely to happen, and that people will say this was the original goal of ODP (Which even at its height didn't spend enough time with the players as a team.), which failed. But that doesn't mean it isn't right.
                        I agree with most of this. The only point of disagreement is your contention that the top 30-40 kids are spread among 8 or 10 teams. I think it's more like 35 out of the top 40 kids are at 2 or at most 3 teams by age 13, with the last 5 sprinkled around.

Comment

I agree with most of this. The only point of disagreement is your contention that the top 30-40 kids are spread among 8 or 10 teams. I think it's more like 35 out of the top 40 kids are at 2 or at most 3 teams by age 13, with the last 5 sprinkled around.
                          At 13, parents are the decision makers on where they bring the players. I am not an expert but I have been in this long enough to know this...parents are not the best judges of where their kids belong. If you think 90 percent of the parents with the top players are clued in enough to have them on just 2 or 3 teams by 13 you are crazy. SOme parents think they have superstars and do not, some parents have superstars and are not knowledgeable enough or rich enough, etc. to move the player. I have seen both.

Comment

At 13, parents are the decision makers on where they bring the players. I am not an expert but I have been in this long enough to know this...parents are not the best judges of where their kids belong. If you think 90 percent of the parents with the top players are clued in enough to have them on just 2 or 3 teams by 13 you are crazy. SOme parents think they have superstars and do not, some parents have superstars and are not knowledgeable enough or rich enough, etc. to move the player. I have seen both.
                            LOL. According to the experts here kids are supposed to be committed to D1 schools by 13.

Comment

LOL. According to the experts here kids are supposed to be committed to D1 schools by 13.
                              Based on the College Commitments for the Stars' U16 ECNL team (15 year olds? Sophomores?) they're pretty close.

http://www.starsofma.org/College/Com...s/index_E.html

That's impressive. ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big East... These girls aren't even old enough to drive and yet eight of them have committed to some of the biggest athletic programs in the country. That says all I need to know about what's going on at FC Stars.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X