Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Cost of college has risen 3x faster than consumer price index over the las 10 years. College is an investment more so than a right. Amateur athletics are just - at the D1, D3 or comm college level. Basically, it's a sh@@@@ return on investment in college. And don't even start w scholarships.
    That's why there's such an obsession with scholarships. Parents are freaked out by the costs, and rightly so. They can't afford to cover their kids fully nor do they want their kids graduating with substantial debt. And now that graduate degrees are almost required for certain careers it's a frightening amount of money Problem is more often than not they'll be disappointed in the results - we all know the odds of significant dollars is slim. Still, some $$ off can make a difference, often turning a financial reach school into a reachable one. But be careful of what those $$ are - athletic dollars are not guaranteed. Academic $/grants, etc. generally are as long as s student keeps up their grades. Families with athletic $ need to plan in case those funds disappear.

Comment

becoming improved soccer players
      To pursue what end?
      I'm a better player at 50 than I was at 22. What does that get me?

Comment

True if you don't manage you costs at the youth level. We did and the athletic scholarship my kids earned allowed me to put my other kids through private colleges without loans.

Why is it the D3 parents seem to be so obsessed with telling all that a scholarship isn't a big deal? All that I can say is that in our family they completely changed the economic futures of all of my children, not just my ones that were athletes.
        Where is there any evidence of D3 parents being obsessed about this??? Stating they have a right to exist in response to non-stop assaults is not obsessional.

Comment

Pays off to what end?
          When a coach says that, it is not a school you want your kid going to. It is critical to find a place where the coach(es) have some respect for the fact that these are college students who are athletes, and not athletes who happen to be located at a college. There is a way to work hard at your aport and also focus on school.

The D1 athletes have to work hard for sure, both in- and off-season. But learning how to balance that with schoolwork is a valuable lesson and skill, just as it would be if a student had to have a 20 hr per week job to pay for that same school.

Many of you know that there are companies that look very favorably on the D1 athletic experience when thinking about hiring, becuase if those athletes also did decently well in school, they are highly disciplined and generally understand teamwork, 2 qualities that go well in any workplace.

Comment

What makes it so much of a job.. You have practice and/lift for 3 hours of the day 5/6 days a week with classes. It really isn't that difficult.
            More than that. As Freshmen, there is usually mandatory study hall (not a bad thing but a time commitment), mandatory community service (different times), mandatory attendance at other sporting events (to support other teams), mandatory team bonding events, mandatory meetings (with coaches) and watching film. I'm sure I'm missing some things such as the coaches expect to see you on the field practicing on your own time as well.

Comment

If a kid is smart, and wants to play DI, Ivies are the way to go. On the surface they seem to not be affordable but the schools have such large endowments and are so generous with aid that an Ivy often ends up costing a lot less than many state schools would. Additionally, there are rules at Ivies that other DIs don't have: mandatory times during the day that practicing is not allowed, a later start date for preseason practicing, etc. Also, there are many athletes that attend Ivy schools that they would not get accepted to if they weren't an athlete. If a student-athlete has a high AI number and the coach supports them through the admission process, the chance of acceptance skyrockets.

Comment

More than that. As Freshmen, there is usually mandatory study hall (not a bad thing but a time commitment), mandatory community service (different times), mandatory attendance at other sporting events (to support other teams), mandatory team bonding events, mandatory meetings (with coaches) and watching film. I'm sure I'm missing some things such as the coaches expect to see you on the field practicing on your own time as well.
                Sure, but you get good grades and you can be excused from study hall. Community service is true, but usually it's not more 1-2 hours per week, shouldn't be a huge deal. Team bonding events that are mandatory usually happen during preseason when there are no classes, everything else is mostly optional as players hang out together and what not. Team bonding could also happen during practice times. In soccer you usually don't have mandatory meetings with coaches outside of practice, if so it would be no longer than 30 minutes. Watching film is built into practice time. So I'm still not seeing where it is so difficult and time consuming.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X