Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Very common. At some point players realize they have to start planning for the next life chapter, or like you said it' just isn't as much fun as it used to be/other things are pulling them away. Nothing wrong with that at all. But players and their parents should going knowing this likely won't be a 4 year gig - besides this, injuries and cuts help take care of many of the rest
    Sure would like to see some NCAA statistics on all of this, not just the bitter musings of a parent whose kid got run off by better younger players.

Comment

Sure would like to see some NCAA statistics on all of this, not just the bitter musings of a parent whose kid got run off by better younger players.
      Get an education, from a D1 player... And D1 hasn't changed much since I played. The only difference i see is some slight average uptick in skill and a foreign tidal wave about to roll in. Universities need diversity. Soccer is a global game. If they can pick up a Kenyan, Chilean, Brazilian, etc... They will do so.

Comment

its miserable

Coach is horrible, definitely not worth the effort on the women's side I am current sophomore and would like to quit

Comment

Coach is horrible, definitely not worth the effort on the women's side I am current sophomore and would like to quit
          where? my daughter is starting to look at college options

Comment

What makes it so much of a job.. You have practice and/lift for 3 hours of the day 5/6 days a week with classes. It really isn't that difficult.

Comment

What makes it so much of a job.. You have practice and/lift for 3 hours of the day 5/6 days a week with classes. It really isn't that difficult.
              Not a D1 player but every D1 coach I've spoken with say it is a full time job in season. How many kids can handle school plus a full time job.

Comment

Not a D1 player but every D1 coach I've spoken with say it is a full time job in season. How many kids can handle school plus a full time job.
                Thousands of athletes do it every year and have for 70-80 years.

Comment

My kid met with one D1 coach early on in her college search process. Coach made it clear that the coach would "own" her both in season and off season. Totally turned my daughter off from D1. My kid wanted soccer to be a part of her college experience, but not everything. She is happily a D3 soccer player.

Some of her teammates did go D1. It has been interesting to see the relative development as shown by the summer league team several of them are on. Two girls who went D1 and were similar in ability to my D have both clearly progressed further. All that extra work does pay off.

Comment

My kid met with one D1 coach early on in her college search process. Coach made it clear that the coach would "own" her both in season and off season. Totally turned my daughter off from D1. My kid wanted soccer to be a part of her college experience, but not everything. She is happily a D3 soccer player.

Some of her teammates did go D1. It has been interesting to see the relative development as shown by the summer league team several of them are on. Two girls who went D1 and were similar in ability to my D have both clearly progressed further. All that extra work does pay off.
                    Pays off to what end?

Comment

Pays off to what end?
                      becoming improved soccer players

Comment

Yes, but most kids do not hold down a full time job while going to school. Some do it, most do not. Many kids are barely able to handle school work, let alone another major commitment.

Comment

My daughter is about to graduate from a top, local, D1 college and interestingly very few of the scholarship or non scholarship kids have ever worked a day in their lives. The 100% scholarship kids are chosen and have been so from early years. No need to work. The partial and non-scholarship kids have been chasing the dream and their parents are all in, supporting them, paying all expenses as needed.

My daughter often complains that she has to work and contribute, with no idea how my asking that she budget her income and expenses will benefit her. My wife and I laugh and know better. Sure, we are old and crusty. But I also know she is a great soccer player with little likelihood of supporting herself or a family on playing alone. It will be her intelligence, drive and a myriad other factors that determine future success. Soccer is just a small factor. The lessons she learns much greater than her soccer ability alone.

Comment

Cost of college has risen 3x faster than consumer price index over the las 10 years. College is an investment more so than a right. Amateur athletics are just - at the D1, D3 or comm college level. Basically, it's a sh@@@@ return on investment in college. And don't even start w scholarships.

Comment

Cost of college has risen 3x faster than consumer price index over the las 10 years. College is an investment more so than a right. Amateur athletics are just - at the D1, D3 or comm college level. Basically, it's a sh@@@@ return on investment in college. And don't even start w scholarships.
                              True if you don't manage you costs at the youth level. We did and the athletic scholarship my kids earned allowed me to put my other kids through private colleges without loans.

Why is it the D3 parents seem to be so obsessed with telling all that a scholarship isn't a big deal? All that I can say is that in our family they completely changed the economic futures of all of my children, not just my ones that were athletes.

Comment

Yes, but most kids do not hold down a full time job while going to school. Some do it, most do not. Many kids are barely able to handle school work, let alone another major commitment.
                                It can and does get done all the time. Many coaches you talk to will tell college is a combo of athletics, academics and social experiences. With D1 you most often have to give up something and that's will social piece. Give up on the other two and you'll be out. D1 athletes live different lives than the rest of the student body. Depending on their course of study they may have to make tough academic choices on when they can squeeze in certain courses. That's why between cuts and injuries, burnout or maturity many D1 athletes are playing by junior year let alone senior year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X