Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? For D1 soccer players

What was your experience like. Would you do it again?

Someone on your other thread aptly put it (I fixed it to fit)

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only adults are on this forum - parents, coaches, club owners. If they played D1 at any point their experience is outdated.

Unless of course you're a certain someone trolling....

Comment

What was your experience like. Would you do it again?
      It was, like, wow, like, if you know what I mean. No beer, no pot, no chicks, no studies though, so that was, like, real awesome. All soccer, like, all the time and we sucked. No crowds and all the babes went to basketball players.
      And now, it's, like, all over.
      And I can't find a job with my sports management major. Like all the cool mascot gigs are gone. I heard, like, they give'em to the hoops guys.
      Should have gone to Williams...

Comment

It was, like, wow, like, if you know what I mean. No beer, no pot, no chicks, no studies though, so that was, like, real awesome. All soccer, like, all the time and we sucked. No crowds and all the babes went to basketball players.
        And now, it's, like, all over.
        And I can't find a job with my sports management major. Like all the cool mascot gigs are gone. I heard, like, they give'em to the hoops guys.
        Should have gone to Williams...
        Speaking of which, a former Stars player was just named NCAA D3 National Midfielder of the Year. I'm sure she spends her days, though, haunted with jealousy towards those playing in the Patriot League and high level D1.

Comment

Congrats to Mai. Great kid, great college choice. Hopefully more D1 wannabe parents with a player of her caliber will resist the urge to pick soccer over academics.

Comment

Great to read Perspective's all too obvious agenda is not being lost amongst all of these new announcements like club mergers, league formations, and team formations. When you have the money to burn why not burn it on club soccer?

Comment

Great to read Perspective's all too obvious agenda is not being lost amongst all of these new announcements like club mergers, league formations, and team formations. When you have the money to burn why not burn it on club soccer?
              BTNT, what is his too obvious agenda? What's in it for him?

Comment

Speaking of which, a former Stars player was just named NCAA D3 National Midfielder of the Year. I'm sure she spends her days, though, haunted with jealousy towards those playing in the Patriot League and high level D1.
                D3 may have been the right choice for her and her family. Perhaps the cost of college was not a major consideration for the family; either they could afford it, or qualified for substantial financial aid. However, other families with a similar level soccer player with similar academic ability may make a different choice for monetary reasons. The D1 scholarship might have too too meaningful for some to ignore. Also, why wasn't D1 Ivy a possible alternative? (Perhaps her choice was between being an impact player at D3 versus a contributor at an Ivy?) Of course, we have no idea what her other options were.

By the way, I am a fan of D3 soccer, but we should be fair. It is not the correct choice for everyone.

Comment

By the way, I am a fan of D3 soccer, but we should be fair. It is not the correct choice for everyone.
                  Neither is D1

Comment

My BFF's daughter has played D1 for 2 years now. She has started and had significant minutes since Freshman year. Currently a sophomore, she told her parents she'd like to not play soccer next year. It is simply "too much of a job now and not fun anymore" and she "doesn't have time for anything else". I'm sure every kid is different but her mom said the parents of many of her friends who are playing college soccer (I don't know what D levels) are hearing the same thing.

Comment

exactly.

Comment

It's the parents who have no clue about the inseparability of their pressure/demands and their kid's "passion" for greatness who will fall the furthest. Sadly, you will always find a child inside of a parent's body still desperately trying to please his own parent.

Comment

D3 may have been the right choice for her and her family. Perhaps the cost of college was not a major consideration for the family; either they could afford it, or qualified for substantial financial aid. However, other families with a similar level soccer player with similar academic ability may make a different choice for monetary reasons. The D1 scholarship might have too too meaningful for some to ignore. Also, why wasn't D1 Ivy a possible alternative? (Perhaps her choice was between being an impact player at D3 versus a contributor at an Ivy?) Of course, we have no idea what her other options were.

No one said it's the right choice for everyone, so odd that you would even add that. D1 is often the right choice. The point is that the young woman most likely will not spend the rest of her life resentfully and bitterly posting on TS with a burning jealousy as her fuel.

Comment

My BFF's daughter has played D1 for 2 years now. She has started and had significant minutes since Freshman year. Currently a sophomore, she told her parents she'd like to not play soccer next year. It is simply "too much of a job now and not fun anymore" and she "doesn't have time for anything else". I'm sure every kid is different but her mom said the parents of many of her friends who are playing college soccer (I don't know what D levels) are hearing the same thing.
                            Very common. At some point players realize they have to start planning for the next life chapter, or like you said it' just isn't as much fun as it used to be/other things are pulling them away. Nothing wrong with that at all. But players and their parents should going knowing this likely won't be a 4 year gig - besides this, injuries and cuts help take care of many of the rest

Comment

Very common. At some point players realize they have to start planning for the next life chapter, or like you said it' just isn't as much fun as it used to be/other things are pulling them away. Nothing wrong with that at all. But players and their parents should going knowing this likely won't be a 4 year gig - besides this, injuries and cuts help take care of many of the rest
                              Most D3 players fit very well into the training and practice regimen that the NCAA imposes. Most of your D3 players would not be able to handle the more rigorous D1 training and practice schedule. Some, but not all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X