Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Forgive me if this sounds flip but is UCONN that great of a school?
    Soccer. Multiple professional players. Consistent NCAA playoff teams. Multiple national championships.

Academics. One of the top New England public universities.

Comment

You couldn't be more wrong - 6 is VERY unusual. Normally it's 3-4. Just to show you I did a random view of a few top 25 D1 programs. Only one school had 5

Stanford - 4
      Wake Forest - 4
      UNC - 4
      Notre Dame - 3
      University of Denver - 2
      UCLA - 5
      Dartmouth - 3
      Elon - 4
      USF - 2

Anyone signing up to be one of 6 must have some other outside reason for joining, like they really, really, really like the SCHOOL. I don't understand the two All Americans - they could have written their own ticket to many programs. At least they might have a shot of actually playing at some point.
      I would guess that number is higher for state universities. Regardless with three freshman keepers two will be gone by sophomore year.

My guess is that there wasn't a good underclass keeper. Reid ran off the young Spanish keeper last year. He loaded up young keepers to see who sticks.

Comment

Forgive me if this sounds flip but is UCONN that great of a school?
        take a ride some weekend to Storrs. UConn is so much better that all the other NE state schools. Great school, great student life . Go take a road trip.. :)

Comment

take a ride some weekend to Storrs. UConn is so much better that all the other NE state schools. Great school, great student life . Go take a road trip.. :)
          And if you're a state resident that wants to stay nearby it's really the best quality and affordable option - the other state schools suck academically, there's some other small schools and then Yale. It's not easy to get into if you're in state because the demand is very high

Comment

It's definitely a good school, but I don't know about "so much better." UConn, UMass, and UVM are the top three NE state schools academically, and all three have strong college atmospheres.

Comment

I would guess that number is higher for state universities. Regardless with three freshman keepers two will be gone by sophomore year.

My guess is that there wasn't a good underclass keeper. Reid ran off the young Spanish keeper last year. He loaded up young keepers to see who sticks.
              Wrong again - in addition to the state schools listed above

Maryland 3; Ohio St 3; UC Santa Abarbara 3; Indiana ; Virginia 3; South Carolina 3; NC State 4; Michigan 4; UNH 4; UMass Lowell 4; UMass 3; UVM 4

Clemson 4; Georgetown 3; BC 3; BU 3; Duke 4

It is correct that almost all are freshmen (I guess he couldn't get an older transfer player?) but taking on 6 GKs is highly unusual. Tough spot for them to be in as, like you said, most will be gone next year.

Comment

Wrong again - in addition to the state schools listed above

Maryland 3; Ohio St 3; UC Santa Abarbara 3; Indiana ; Virginia 3; South Carolina 3; NC State 4; Michigan 4; UNH 4; UMass Lowell 4; UMass 3; UVM 4

Clemson 4; Georgetown 3; BC 3; BU 3; Duke 4

It is correct that almost all are freshmen (I guess he couldn't get an older transfer player?) but taking on 6 GKs is highly unusual. Tough spot for them to be in as, like you said, most will be gone next year.
                Last five aren't state schools

Besides with a starting junior the three recruited freshmen will not really be needed for two more years. So it's a no risk proposition for Reid. One or two of them may end up red shirting

His biggest risk is that all three freshmen leave next year or the junior gets hurt.

Comment

Last five aren't state schools

Besides with a starting junior the three recruited freshmen will not really be needed for two more years. So it's a no risk proposition for Reid. One or two of them may end up red shirting

His biggest risk is that all three freshmen leave next year or the junior gets hurt.
                  I included them to demonstrate that 3-4 is the norm across almost all programs, state or private.

Comment

I included them to demonstrate that 3-4 is the norm across almost all programs, state or private.
                    Right ...

Comment

Right ...
                      Lower ranked D1 - Loyola Marymount 5; Furman 3; Navy 4; William and Mary 5; High Point 3; Marquette 3; San Francisco 4

Top D3 programs - where it costs a coach virtually nothing to carry players - Washington St Louis 3; Carnegie Mellon 3; De Pauw 6; Haverford 4; Franklin and Marshall 4; Brandeis 4; Amherst 3; Tufts 3; U Mass Boston 3; Trinity 2; Calvin 3; Wheaton MA 5; MIT 2; Chicago 2

So of the 46 D1 and D3 schools I randomly selected from the NCAA rankings it breaks down below. Sure programs can take walk ons, carry who they want with minimal impact. But in reality there aren't that many top keepers. Like field players they want to play. Most will not want to be one of 4-6 because they know they'll probably never play

2 GK = 4
                      3 = 21
                      4 = 15
                      5 = 4
                      6 = 2

Comment

Lower ranked D1 - Loyola Marymount 5; Furman 3; Navy 4; William and Mary 5; High Point 3; Marquette 3; San Francisco 4

Top D3 programs - where it costs a coach virtually nothing to carry players - Washington St Louis 3; Carnegie Mellon 3; De Pauw 6; Haverford 4; Franklin and Marshall 4; Brandeis 4; Amherst 3; Tufts 3; U Mass Boston 3; Trinity 2; Calvin 3; Wheaton MA 5; MIT 2; Chicago 2

So of the 46 D1 and D3 schools I randomly selected from the NCAA rankings it breaks down below. Sure programs can take walk ons, carry who they want with minimal impact. But in reality there aren't that many top keepers. Like field players they want to play. Most will not want to be one of 4-6 because they know they'll probably never play

2 GK = 4
                        3 = 21
                        4 = 15
                        5 = 4
                        6 = 2
                        Nice analysis. I stand corrected

The reality with the keeper position is that only one plays the majority of the minutes. A good program has a young backup who can step in after the incumbent leaves.

Perhaps an uperclassman or two who are not on scholarship who can act as an emergency backup or push the incumbent. The rest is just window dressing

Comment

Nice analysis. I stand corrected

The reality with the keeper position is that only one plays the majority of the minutes. A good program has a young backup who can step in after the incumbent leaves.

Perhaps an uperclassman or two who are not on scholarship who can act as an emergency backup or push the incumbent. The rest is just window dressing
                          Definitely true - it isn't like at many clubs where they'll give two keepers equal time. You're either the starter or you sit on the bench, kind of secretly hoping something happens to the starter or waiting for them to graduate.

not the op but appreciate the breakdown

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X