X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I haven't checked but supposedly they didn't get much PT
    You're right. 36 minutes for one twin and 0 minutes for the other. Perhaps injuries were involved.

Comment

You're right. 36 minutes for one twin and 0 minutes for the other. Perhaps injuries were involved.
      Still doesn't go to notably letting them get away from UMASS, the coach missed 2 stars in his own backyard

Comment

I just called the Governor! The U Mass Men's Basketball team doesn't have anyone from Mass on the entire roster except the white kid with 2200 SAT's on the end of the bench. Boston College doesn't have anyone from Boston! Neither does Boston University. This isn't right!
        The 2200 kid would be at Williams or harvard

Comment

Two stars in his back yard? Who? The twins? HAHA, they went to Conn on big $ and are now at U Mass on little or no money. Looks like a win for U Mass.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
            two stars in his back yard? Who? The twins? Haha, they went to conn on big $ and are now at u mass on little or no money. Looks like a win for u mass.
            bingo!

Comment

Don't be jerks. It is more difficult to earn playing time on a decent D1 women's soccer team than most parents or players expect. The difference between players is often razor thin. As soon as your child arrives, coaches are looking to replace them. Earn a spot in year one, make yourself indispensable, or else don't be surprised to see playing time decline over the next 4 years. Get injured, end on the wrong side of your teammates or coaches, or have any of a number of other things break the wrong way, and disappointment is pretty certain. There are 25-30 players and only about 15 play meaningful minutes. Factor in the ones that graduate or transfer yearly, and then figure in a relatively large freshman class, and it is more likely your child will not play than they will.

Good luck to the twins if they transfer, and here's hoping our state college has a great year.

Comment

Don't be jerks. It is more difficult to earn playing time on a decent D1 women's soccer team than most parents or players expect. The difference between players is often razor thin. As soon as your child arrives, coaches are looking to replace them. Earn a spot in year one, make yourself indispensable, or else don't be surprised to see playing time decline over the next 4 years. Get injured, end on the wrong side of your teammates or coaches, or have any of a number of other things break the wrong way, and disappointment is pretty certain. There are 25-30 players and only about 15 play meaningful minutes. Factor in the ones that graduate or transfer yearly, and then figure in a relatively large freshman class, and it is more likely your child will not play than they will.

Good luck to the twins if they transfer, and here's hoping our state college has a great year.
                Were they recruited early - like most girls are these days? I'm assuming so. Yes things don't work out often enough for many reasons. But I have to believe the push to force young kids make choices very early is making the drop out/transfer rate rise significantly. Obviously there's the maturity issue and trying to figure out college likes/dislikes when they have one year of HS under their belt. Academically they can get in over their heads too as a result of deciding too early. Skill wise a kid may have hit a plateau during recruiting time then the coach is disappointed in where they at when they show up on campus. And a coach has to try and predict three years out what his team will look like, when he may lose multiple players in the interim or find another player unexpectedly that is a better fit than the ones he originally recruited.

Seems the system doesn't work often enough that there would be moves to change it/push back. But the coaches drive the bus and they're all afraid they'll lose someone they want to another school. I suppose it has to hit a tipping point where the cons outweigh the pros, but it isn't there yet.

Comment

Were they recruited early - like most girls are these days? I'm assuming so. Yes things don't work out often enough for many reasons. But I have to believe the push to force young kids make choices very early is making the drop out/transfer rate rise significantly. Obviously there's the maturity issue and trying to figure out college likes/dislikes when they have one year of HS under their belt. Academically they can get in over their heads too as a result of deciding too early. Skill wise a kid may have hit a plateau during recruiting time then the coach is disappointed in where they at when they show up on campus. And a coach has to try and predict three years out what his team will look like, when he may lose multiple players in the interim or find another player unexpectedly that is a better fit than the ones he originally recruited.

Seems the system doesn't work often enough that there would be moves to change it/push back. But the coaches drive the bus and they're all afraid they'll lose someone they want to another school. I suppose it has to hit a tipping point where the cons outweigh the pros, but it isn't there yet.
                  Coaches claim they are concerned about the high transfer rates, yet they continue to recruit earlier and earlier in order to keep up with the competition and the transfer rates continue to climb. It's an arms race with no end in sight unless the NCAA steps in, which of course, we all know will never happen.

I'm not saying that 14-15 years olds can't determine what they want to do, where to go to school, what to study, urban vs suburban, big vs small, etc. but many more have no clue vs those who do. As far as I am concerned, the schools are getting what they ask for with the early commit process.

Comment

Coaches claim they are concerned about the high transfer rates, yet they continue to recruit earlier and earlier in order to keep up with the competition and the transfer rates continue to climb. It's an arms race with no end in sight unless the NCAA steps in, which of course, we all know will never happen.

I'm not saying that 14-15 years olds can't determine what they want to do, where to go to school, what to study, urban vs suburban, big vs small, etc. but many more have no clue vs those who do. As far as I am concerned, the schools are getting what they ask for with the early commit process.
                    No the NCAA won't do shi*e. It isn't an issue just with soccer but many sports. And truly monitoring the rules (no contact until junior year wink wink) would take an army and really isn't very enforceable. To make it stop coaches would need to stop. But the fear of missing out, having their program suffer and ultimately lose their jobs is too great.

Sadly parents/players know this is how it works and also fear missing out on the better opportunities. Players are cannon fodder. What I find crazy in soccer is there are far more families who can afford college or at least a substantial portion. There's also a much higher degree of high quality students in soccer vs say basketball or football. I understand a lower income family jumping on an early opportunity because it may be the players best shot at ever going to college. Why do so many soccer families feel the need to participate in this race of insanity?

Comment

According to NCAA Recruit site both UML and U Mass got several commits this week with U Mass picking up a very good NEFC kid!

Comment

According to NCAA Recruit site both UML and U Mass got several commits this week with U Mass picking up a very good NEFC kid!
                        what site is that, please post a link

Comment

what site is that, please post a link
                          Top drawer or the spreadsheet?

Comment

Very good GK from Colorado

Comment

bingo!
                              UMass chocked last year and didn't make the A-10 playoffs. They have lost several seniors. Twins won't make much of a difference. This program is in a free fall to the A10 basement with URI.

Comment

UMass chocked last year and didn't make the A-10 playoffs. They have lost several seniors. Twins won't make much of a difference. This program is in a free fall to the A10 basement with URI.
                                Umass was hit hard with injuries last year. The Clemson transfer and the twins along with the return of injured players should greatly help them out. Next years recruiting class has a couple of stars players and a scorp. While I don't think they'll rise to the top of the A10 they won't sink to the bottom either. URI btw has some pretty good recruits coming in next year including Ma D1 player of the year AR

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X