X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odp 2016

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OP here - not saying mine is "too good." But I look at what we get for the money spent plus trying to fit it all in and it isn't worth it. I have an older child who participated a few years ago and it wad a much stronger program then. If it were still that's this one would participate.

As far as training, hiring a coach and doing some semi privates with 3-4 similarly skilled teammates is a great way to get specialized training (coach can tailor to each player) at a good price value
    For the OP and anyone else who might know, does this program actually develop olympians? Are there any examples? I can't think of any local boys or girls that went on and made past olympic teams.

Comment

It just proves that the average IQ of some of those who post is about 70.
      You must be a load of fun to hang with. Or simply just the load

Comment

100 kids formed these tryouts and it's not relevant? Ok buddy.
        The number of kids attending really has no relevance on the quality of the experience. There are definitely 100 players on C teams around the state...

That said, it would be more helpful if those who had their kids actually attend the tryouts told us if their kid plays on an A team, and if so, is that A team in one of the better clubs/programs in the state. If there are 100 of those types of players trying out, with quality coaching being even more important, perhaps the program may be worthwhile. Is there a list of the coaches out there somewhere, which tells which college teams/club teams they have been coaching? I was looking on the Mass Youth Soccer site, and the lack of information on the program is quite astounding. Maybe there is more information on a different site?

Comment

The number of kids attending really has no relevance on the quality of the experience. There are definitely 100 players on C teams around the state...

That said, it would be more helpful if those who had their kids actually attend the tryouts told us if their kid plays on an A team, and if so, is that A team in one of the better clubs/programs in the state. If there are 100 of those types of players trying out, with quality coaching being even more important, perhaps the program may be worthwhile. Is there a list of the coaches out there somewhere, which tells which college teams/club teams they have been coaching? I was looking on the Mass Youth Soccer site, and the lack of information on the program is quite astounding. Maybe there is more information on a different site?
          Here you are good sir. It took three seconds......but keep writing jiberissh

http://www.mayouthsoccer.org/odp/coa..._contacts.aspx

Comment

Odp 2016

On the MYS website, the coaching staff is listed under the "About Us" banner. Also, there is a tab at the bottom for the ODP program.

Comment

Most B & C team kids do not know about ODP existence. Just venture out of your sideline once in a while and talk to parents of other teams. It's ok I promise they don't bite.

Comment

Here you are good sir. It took three seconds......but keep writing jiberissh

http://www.mayouthsoccer.org/odp/coa..._contacts.aspx
                Lol. You beat me too it. (Not the OP.)

If you can't navigate a website, it's doubtful you can navigate your kids soccer playing expierence.

http://www.mayouthsoccer.org/odp.aspx

Here's some advice, for anyone new to this forum now or in the future.

If your kid loves soccer, wants to play at a higher level, has intrinsic motivation; get your kid as many touches on the ball as possible. Get your kid playing with other kids; weaker, stronger, and at his level. Get your kid to play for different coaches.

If your kid truly loves soccer, he'll just want to play. All the above situations will make him a better, more well rounded player.

The parents here who are quick to say "my kid is too good for xyz" are likely hurting their kids development with their own egos and creating players with inflated egos.

No coach likes that kind of player no matter how good they are.

And usually, they aren't very good in the long run because they never learned to play with a variety of different players or for different coaches.

Then when they fail; it's the coaches or another players fault.

Don't listen to those parents.

Find the best training you can afford at a variety of places. Be it travel, ODP, RDS, clinics, camps, etc.

Comment

You can achieve that many other ways, and probably at a better price point with better training, than ODP. This ODP round is one thing. Throw in the camp and the rest and suddenly you've dropped decent coin hoping to be id'd, when in reality you just got ok training
                  But make the Region 1 team and you suddenly pop up on many radars, still the most direct and cost effective path for eh truly elite players in each age group.

Comment

You can achieve that many other ways, and probably at a better price point with better training, than ODP. This ODP round is one thing. Throw in the camp and the rest and suddenly you've dropped decent coin hoping to be id'd, when in reality you just got ok training
                    My son is playing for one of the top programs and I agree that the training and talent is just ok compared to his team. This will be his second year doing ODP and the way we look at it (one of the other posters also said the same thing) "it's an extra day of training with different coaches and players". It also gives my son an opportunity to play a different position. The timing is during the winter when most clubs tend to slow down on the training and we will most likely opt out of the camp this year so cost isn't that bad.
                    If you have a son or daughter that loves the game and wants to play more I would say do it. If you have to drag them to practice all the time don't. It is not a direct path to Div. 1 or pro ball.

Gary Hall (U14 Revs coach) was at the tryouts on Saturday btw.

Comment

Op here. The topic has shifted. Please let's discuss the actual numbers to gauge the attendence at each age group.

Comment

Gary Hall (U14 Revs coach) was at the tryouts on Saturday btw.
                        Gary sees my kid every week. Why would I bother with ODP?

Comment

But make the Region 1 team and you suddenly pop up on many radars, still the most direct and cost effective path for eh truly elite players in each age group.
                          There are truly elite kids in the Boston area that can't get to places like Newton or Cambridge for practice. Marlboro and Lancaster are just never going to happen. As soon as they get realistic about a location close to the real talent they'll get the actual elite players. What you get now are desperate or dopey parents that will drive out there for a line item on a resume that will never matter anyway.

Comment

There are truly elite kids in the Boston area that can't get to places like Newton or Cambridge for practice. Marlboro and Lancaster are just never going to happen. As soon as they get realistic about a location close to the real talent they'll get the actual elite players. What you get now are desperate or dopey parents that will drive out there for a line item on a resume that will never matter anyway.
                            Exactly,
                            You'd be better off with private or semi private sessions tailored to their needs.

Comment

Wow, what an ignorant post. Then all the ODP players that got commitments to top D1 schools (as freshmen and sophomores)have dopes for parents. Many of those kids benefitted from making the regional pool. Sounds like your kid is a scrub and you are trying to dissuade kids with talent from showing up. Stop trying to poison the waters. You are clearly uninformed.

Comment

Wow, what an ignorant post. Then all the ODP players that got commitments to top D1 schools (as freshmen and sophomores)have dopes for parents. Many of those kids benefitted from making the regional pool. Sounds like your kid is a scrub and you are trying to dissuade kids with talent from showing up. Stop trying to poison the waters. You are clearly uninformed.
                                A D1 commitment will happen if the player can achieve certain benchmarks of health, academics and an insane commitment level. Most freshman and sophomores eventually figure out that they don't want to end up with a career as a club coach and choose a more sensible path. Sounds like your kid will figure it out the hard way.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X