Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is DAP Worth It?

My question is: Is DAP worth the money and time you pay for it? Is the training and competition that much better than club soccer? Because i believe my son is ready for it., but the fees are so high. Answers from players and parents in the academies would be greatly appreciated.

You could go back and read the entire thread about no more high school soccer for DAP players and find much discussion that responds to this question. Also, if your son plays for Revs, cost is not an issue, as the program is free.

Comment

If your kid is good enough to be a DAP player then you wouldn't be on this site. People would have already talked to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        My question is: Is DAP worth the money and time you pay for it? Is the training and competition that much better than club soccer? Because i believe my son is ready for it., but the fees are so high. Answers from players and parents in the academies would be greatly appreciated.

First, I have a hard time you have not heard enough about DAP from the mixture of crap that appears on this site. Assuming that you are sincere, whether the DAP is worth the 'time' and 'money' is an individual question. For the money, the Revs are free. What is not known about the Bolts DAP is that they are less expensive than the other Bolts teams with travel covered. If the parents want to go to away games that is their cost.

The time as compared to high school sports is less. 4 days training and 1 game per week. Many high schools are on the field 5-7 days per week with 2 games weekly. The DAP is more consistent with the rest of the world.

Whether the DAP is worth not playing on any high school sports is an invdivdual question.

Comment

Go to next Monday's games between the Revs and Bolts DAP teams and judge for yourself. If it is anything like the 95/96 DAP game this past Saturday it is definely worth it.

Comment

Go to next Monday's games between the Revs and Bolts DAP teams and judge for yourself. If it is anything like the 95/96 DAP game this past Saturday it is definely worth it.

Worth what? What is it worth? I agree that the money is not so much especially with the way the Bolts have the Academy teams set up. The Revs are clearly worth that kind of money....although neither of their teams looked great. I guess you get what you pay for. Is it worth the time? I don't think that the time is that much, and no more than full time high school sports. Is it worth giving up every other sport and high school activities??? Now this is the part that I am not sure about. I think it might be worth it for the top 5-7 players who will play Division 1 college, maybe pro, maybe for a national team. For another 3-6 players who thrive on being their best, while playing for the best that they can, it might be worth it. However, for the other 60% (+/-) of the Academy teams, I don't think it is 'worth it', whatever that means.....

Comment

Worth what? What is it worth? I agree that the money is not so much especially with the way the Bolts have the Academy teams set up. The Revs are clearly worth that kind of money....although neither of their teams looked great. I guess you get what you pay for. Is it worth the time? I don't think that the time is that much, and no more than full time high school sports. Is it worth giving up every other sport and high school activities??? Now this is the part that I am not sure about. I think it might be worth it for the top 5-7 players who will play Division 1 college, maybe pro, maybe for a national team. For another 3-6 players who thrive on being their best, while playing for the best that they can, it might be worth it. However, for the other 60% (+/-) of the Academy teams, I don't think it is 'worth it', whatever that means.....
              one can play other HS sports and activities- just not HS soccer (if doing DAP)

Comment

one can play other HS sports and activities- just not HS soccer (if doing DAP)
                Wrong. One can play DAP and nothing else.........unless given a waiver.

Comment

Wrong. One can play DAP and nothing else.........unless given a waiver.
                  We have been told that winter sports are OK.

Comment

We have been told that winter sports are OK.

Did the DOC or the team coach tell you this? If not, then consider it wrong until you see it in writing. It is now supposed to be a 10 month season i.e. September through June; 4 practices per week. You will sign a contract that reads 'no other sports'. Your high school will be asked to enforce a rule that penalizes the athlete if they miss any high school sporting activity (practice or game/meet) for another sport.

Without waivers and clear cut written statements, the DAP forbids you from playing other sports.

Comment

Did the DOC or the team coach tell you this? If not, then consider it wrong until you see it in writing. It is now supposed to be a 10 month season i.e. September through June; 4 practices per week. You will sign a contract that reads 'no other sports'. Your high school will be asked to enforce a rule that penalizes the athlete if they miss any high school sporting activity (practice or game/meet) for another sport.

Without waivers and clear cut written statements, the DAP forbids you from playing other sports.
                      You are wrong. My kid is DAP and he has been told along with the rest of the club that they can play winter sports.

Comment

You are wrong. My kid is DAP and he has been told along with the rest of the club that they can play winter sports.

...and what will you high school say when you kid has to miss a practice or two, perhaps even a game so that he might be with his DAP team?

Comment

Even if that is true (and I have not heard that from my son's club) I can't imagine they would have the time. My son's DAP experience has been great but it is all consuming....all year. We continually tell our son how lucky he is, although he made the team because he works hard, he would be out of luck if we were unable to drive the three hours round trip 3-5 times a week for practices and games. And before you tell me I'm crazy, I already know and it's not just us, there are many kids who make this kind of commute.

Comment

This is categorically UNTRUE! There is no reason you cannot participate in school dances & concerts and plays, school activities & clubs & sports, school functions & events, socialize with your friends, etc. The individual high school has COMPLETE CONTROL over what kids are allowed to participate in within the school - nothing has changed there.
                            This is about time management with school work, social life and athletics which any kid who has been playing club soccer including kids who have played DAP the last 3 years, or kids who play AAU basketball or baseball, Junior hockey, etc have learned how to manage.
                            The only restriction if you choose to play DAP is that you cannot also participate in high school soccer at the same time. If you choose to play high school soccer, then you cannot participate in DAP. What is so hard for you blockheads to understand? It is simply a choice DAP or High school soccer. For some the choice is very simple, for others difficult, but always an individual family/player choice.
                            Why do you keep starting new threads about this same topic. Give it a rest will you?

Comment

I wouldn't pay your fees until you get your understanding in writing from the DOC. Maybe this could work in the ISL (is everything negotiable over there?), the MIAA, however, doesn't like anyone messing with them. Making examples of people who do is what they're best at.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X