Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So a high density of club players per team, fueled by money.

Reasonable.

But there has no be more.

Westport
    Greenwich
    New Canaan
    Avon
    Wilton
    Ridgefield
    Wilton
    Weston
    Newtown
    Southbury
    Guilford

All fall into the same demographic, yet no where near as successful.

To be sure, many are very successful in HS sports, but Darien is off the scale.

Think back to the AD.

Staples (Westport)

2016-17

State Championships

Field Hockey (co-champs w/ Darien)
    Cross Country (boys)
    Tennis (boys)
    Outdoor Track (boys)
    Baseball

*girls Tennis was runner-up

That's 5 State Championships and 1 runner-up. A senior on the baseball team was CT Player of the year and is going to play at UNC next year. Multiple kids in multiple sports also playing a myriad of D1 sports next year.

I think that compares quite well with Darien.

Comment

That's 5 State Championships and 1 runner-up.
      Make that 5 championships and TWO runners-up - (Boys Indoor Track - co-runner-up with Shelton).

Comment

Another LL school has won 23 LL titles in various sports since 2014.
        Yes that includes 5 soccer championships.
        No need to mention the name.

Comment

I guess Darien ain't all that after all.

Comment

Newtown and Southbury definitely not the same demographic as most of the others. Some of those schools are much smaller as well - L vs LL.

Wilton has shown that tons of money, psycho parent and a weak AD results in a mess. Darien is the opposite. Congrats to them.
            Interesting last line - similar towns, size etc. I know Wilton has their fair share of championships as well (field hockey and some others). But when did you last hear of a controversy with the Darien AD and/or parents? Maybe there has been, but not that I recall. Whenever you get too much money and uptight helicopter parents in the mix something is bound to blow up. How it's managed is key.

Comment

Including 2014, that LL school has actually won 12 LL titles, with 5 coming in soccer. Still impressive.

Comment

Interesting last line - similar towns, size etc. I know Wilton has their fair share of championships as well (field hockey and some others). But when did you last hear of a controversy with the Darien AD and/or parents? Maybe there has been, but not that I recall. Whenever you get too much money and uptight helicopter parents in the mix something is bound to blow up. How it's managed is key.
                Very true. Wilton has managed it all poorly. Wilton girls soccer is going to struggle as a result.

Comment

Very true. Wilton has managed it all poorly. Wilton girls soccer is going to struggle as a result.
                  One of Wilton's top players will forego HS soccer this season and play GDAP for NYSC. Making a run at the national team.

Comment

One of Wilton's top players will forego HS soccer this season and play GDAP for NYSC. Making a run at the national team.
                    Are you saying that 'yes, this is another reason the girls team at Wilton will struggle'?

Or are you saying that we are underestimating the talent in Wilton and their program will be just fine?

Comment

I almost choked!!! There is not player on that roster worthy of any national team, let alone the US. Jeez, that was funny.

Comment

NYSC took every kid who tried out-more people said no to them than they said no to

Comment

Darien won another 6 state titles, including football this past year.

Why does this town continue to dominate HS sports and send legions
                          of kids to play in college.

Thoughts.

I count FIVE Championships for Darien in 2016-17.

Football
                          Field Hockey (co-champs w/ Staples)
                          Lacrosse (Boys)
                          Lacrosse (Girls
                          Volleyball (Boys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if not then Staples wins this imaginary compettion with both schools having 5 State championships and Staples having two runners-up.

Comment

I count FIVE Championships for Darien in 2016-17.

Football
                            Field Hockey (co-champs w/ Staples)
                            Lacrosse (Boys)
                            Lacrosse (Girls
                            Volleyball (Boys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if not then Staples wins this imaginary compettion with both schools having 5 State championships and Staples having two runners-up.
                            You are wrong... Check again.

Comment

You are wrong... Check again.
                              How about you just save me the trouble and tell us what I missed?

Comment

Ok I looked. I did miss one for Darien - Girls Swimming. I missed it because they compete in Class L, not LL. Strange. Aren't classes based on student population?

Anyway, the OP was right. 6 championships for Darien, no runners-up. Impressive.

I did find something else that I missed the first time as well. Staples won both the team championship in boys Cross-Country as well as the Open championship. So that's 6 for Staples plus their two runners-up.

Staples still wins.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X