Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree you should stay in travel with your mindset.
    I wholeheartedly agree that the poster is right. This has become nothing more than a pay to play system. I have seen some really bad soccer at the "premier" level. I could go an a tangent but I'll save my breath because everyone here is on board with it.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree that the poster is right. This has become nothing more than a pay to play system. I have seen some really bad soccer at the "premier" level. I could go an a tangent but I'll save my breath because everyone here is on board with it.
      I've experienced bad premier but moved on quickly to good premier through trial and error. Regardless of that, the part of the post about winning mattering so much is where the poster jumped the shark.

Comment

FSA u12 over $3,000 are you f***ing kidding me!? It's a joke right???

Comment

I've experienced bad premier but moved on quickly to good premier through trial and error.
          That's the thing - there is good premier out there and players that should be playing premier. That's why it's there - for the more skilled, more driven players who want something more and should be playing at a higher level. It's the lower level stuff with less skilled players where it gets ugly. Some players start out there and move on, like you did. Others get frustrated, feel ripped off, move back down, or to focus on other sports. Clubs may come and go but the issue persists until parents decide to stop and/or town programs do a better job retaining those players

Comment

I've experienced bad premier but moved on quickly to good premier through trial and error. Regardless of that, the part of the post about winning mattering so much is where the poster jumped the shark.
            Winning never matters in soccer until "that day" when magically games count. Gimme a break, kids care and there should be some value to achievement. There also should be consequence when bested by an opponent. I don't think the poster was insinuating that winning is everything either.

FWIW kids should only be rostered on a travel team OR a premier team. This would help with a lot of the nonsense going on. It seems the new world order is chasing travel state cups with a team made mostly of premier players. So stupid.

Comment

Winning never matters in soccer until "that day" when magically games count. Gimme a break, kids care and there should be some value to achievement. There also should be consequence when bested by an opponent. I don't think the poster was insinuating that winning is everything either.

FWIW kids should only be rostered on a travel team OR a premier team. This would help with a lot of the nonsense going on. It seems the new world order is chasing travel state cups with a team made mostly of premier players. So stupid.
              I have no issue with younger kids doing a year or two at the most so they can have time to figure out where they fit in the world. Most leave by U13 either because of time, money (or both) as well as if they're serious about soccer they see their town teammates don't have the same dedication.

Comment

I agree with travel or premier, one or the other. I see some cup chasing hysteria but its laughable as most of the travel teams we've been associated with can't string together 2 foot to foot passes. So my kids and I when we were in travel just rolled our eyes as the dad coaches preached of this big cup game coming up.

An hour after the game the win or loss is all but forgotten with my kids. So does it make sense to try and go for the win by keeping the same 7/9/11 starters out there most of the game and sending the ball down the field to the big fast kid at every opportunity to win games or should one put wins on the backburner in favor of developing the whole team and getting kids to try new things on the ball? And maybe lose a game or 10 in the process.

Comment

Obviously development matters more. However kids still want to win and depending on their age and experience,they can't always see the forest through the trees. Having some losses normally isn't an issue with most kids, especially if they see 1) the other team was clearly better 2) they know they did their best. Even my oldest who HATES losing is over it 20 minutes later (unless she made a mistake and then she stews over her performance).
                  But psychologically it isn't easy to keep up the enthusiasm if you lose week after week.

winning and development also don't have to be mutually exclusive either. But too many parents see a winning record as proof of development. If a team is doing poorly they feel the need to look elsewhere. Many have never played the sport and can't tell good coaching from bad.

Comment

I have no issue with younger kids doing a year or two at the most so they can have time to figure out where they fit in the world. Most leave by U13 either because of time, money (or both) as well as if they're serious about soccer they see their town teammates don't have the same dedication.
                    I strongly disagree. My kids play at the big three clubs and even my older ones still love playing travel. It's just plain fun! They understand that the soccer isn't very good but they are playing with their friends from town (and school), they can work on stupid tricks or moves that they would never try in a premier game (until they perfect it), and they can play multiple positions that they normally do not play in club. More than anything, it is just an extra game or two each weekend and an extra practice every now and again. Especially for younger players, adding an extra practice every week (and game or two) is just more fun for them. They just love it. My wife and I often insist they take a night off just to hang out and do nothing, but none of my kids ever want to. They just love the game and their teams (team mates) from travel and club. I honestly think that they all look at every practice and game as another play date to hang out and compete with their friends. There is nothing more rewarding that seeing your kids love something so much that they do not want to miss any of it. The club soccer sometimes does get to be a grind towards the end of a season but I think the travel soccer really helps them (and my wife and I) to keep this in the context that it has to be fun first or else it simply isn't worth it. I know everyone on TS is really gung-ho about college and the madness of making this team or not, but we have really worked hard to separate ourselves from the crazies on each of our kids teams (and we find the parents in the rat race for our youngest (U10) very comical now .... moreso than the older ones even). Keep it all in check people, let your kids have fun; it does not last long.

Comment

I strongly disagree. My kids play at the big three clubs and even my older ones still love playing travel. It's just plain fun! They understand that the soccer isn't very good but they are playing with their friends from town (and school), they can work on stupid tricks or moves that they would never try in a premier game (until they perfect it), and they can play multiple positions that they normally do not play in club. More than anything, it is just an extra game or two each weekend and an extra practice every now and again. Especially for younger players, adding an extra practice every week (and game or two) is just more fun for them. They just love it. My wife and I often insist they take a night off just to hang out and do nothing, but none of my kids ever want to. They just love the game and their teams (team mates) from travel and club. I honestly think that they all look at every practice and game as another play date to hang out and compete with their friends. There is nothing more rewarding that seeing your kids love something so much that they do not want to miss any of it. The club soccer sometimes does get to be a grind towards the end of a season but I think the travel soccer really helps them (and my wife and I) to keep this in the context that it has to be fun first or else it simply isn't worth it. I know everyone on TS is really gung-ho about college and the madness of making this team or not, but we have really worked hard to separate ourselves from the crazies on each of our kids teams (and we find the parents in the rat race for our youngest (U10) very comical now .... moreso than the older ones even). Keep it all in check people, let your kids have fun; it does not last long.
                      Your kid just likes being the big fish in the small pond. You probably do too.

Comment

Very likely. And in all seriousness, how do you have time for "an extra game or two" on the weekends for your older kids on the big 3 clubs? Not possible.

Comment

Sometimes, they sure do as do I. Better to be a little d*k drowning in a big pond like you and yours. As long as you can tell everyone at the water cooler that your kid is #36 on an ECNL composite roster. She's U15 and playing up 3 years on the U18 composite team because she is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Comment

Very likely. And in all seriousness, how do you have time for "an extra game or two" on the weekends for your older kids on the big 3 clubs? Not possible.
                            Yeah, not so much. Games and practices are minutes from our house. We come home from early games in MA or NY/NJ and can make 4-6 PM kickoffs at times. Sorry your kid has too much on their plate and can't find time to play with their friends for fun. They must hate the grind and job their current team is dishing out on them. Why can't it just be fun sometimes? If it's not and they don't want to find extra times to play then they probably don't love it as much as you pretend and force them to. I guess they will play wherever and whenever you pay for them to do it, eh?

Comment

His kids are probably on the FSA state teams or some other CJSA type club. Top teams/top level teams make no exceptions for travel conflicts and serious players make the appropriate choices. Being the stud on travel simply fuels egos - and takes away PT from travel kids btw. If you're doing it purely for social reasons? Have a play date. They'll all be playing together in HS soon enough.

Comment

Yeah, not so much. Games and practices are minutes from our house. We come home from early games in MA or NY/NJ and can make 4-6 PM kickoffs at times. Sorry your kid has too much on their plate and can't find time to play with their friends for fun. They must hate the grind and job their current team is dishing out on them. Why can't it just be fun sometimes? If it's not and they don't want to find extra times to play then they probably don't love it as much as you pretend and force them to. I guess they will play wherever and whenever you pay for them to do it, eh?
                                This is so funny that an adult is justifying travel soccer on top of whatever cra* premier his kids are doing. Good luck with JV in HS!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X