Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afc

Heard boys DOC is out. Is my son better offf on Cheshire Premier? He is at FSC but we are from Cheshire and need out of NB.

Wow! Your 3 choices are FSC, AFC, or the Cheshire Soccer Club...Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Heard boys DOC is out. Is my son better offf on Cheshire Premier? He is at FSC but we are from Cheshire and need out of NB.
      My suggestion is to carefully research coaches. I'd avoid town based premier at all costs. Regardless of what anyone tells you, town premier is better organized travel soccer. Cheshire entered their u13 travel team in the Oakwood tournament recently. They went 0-4 with a GD of -15. Those results suggest that you really don't belong on the same field.

If your son is travel level then have him play travel. From your location, Ginga FC would also be a nice option.

If choosing Afc vs town, id say that Afc is a better option. They've been at it for 10+ years which is more than most in CT can say. Sporting is probably another easy option for you. I'd avoid FSA.

Comment

I think within those clubs the individual teams vary a lot bc they do not have as big or strong a pool to draw from. What year is he? On the boys side this year, AFC has a few solid teams for CT level (e.g. 03) but then no team at others ages (e.g. 04). Depending on which side of Cheshire your in, Sporting may be easier than Ginga. Ginga and Sporting do have teams at most ages and both are likely to still let him tryout even if the official dates have passed.

Comment

I think within those clubs the individual teams vary a lot bc they do not have as big or strong a pool to draw from. What year is he? On the boys side this year, AFC has a few solid teams for CT level (e.g. 03) but then no team at others ages (e.g. 04). Depending on which side of Cheshire your in, Sporting may be easier than Ginga. Ginga and Sporting do have teams at most ages and both are likely to still let him tryout even if the official dates have passed.
          As the prior poster suggested, avoid town premier. It's expensive, political and in the end not any better than any other travel team.

Comment

Choices

AFC on boys side can have limited players depending on age group. (can be a positive or a negative) Good solid coaching, family minded club. been around 14 years. Seems loyal to players. This is a niche club. Good for developing players rather than taking the best players. They seem comfortable with who and what they are. Arguably their job is a lot harder than the bigger clubs that take the best players already. DOC leaving could be construed as a positive or a negative depending on ones opinion of that type of coaching style. Club itself is a good choice as a option for a smaller more individualized experience. Your son won't be a great player at any of these clubs however unless he puts in a huge amount of time outside of premier. The clubs offer different things depending on your needs. There is a place for CFC, FSA, etc.. just depends on what your player needs. I prefer CFC over FSA if picking large clubs. FSA was not a great experience. It was fine, just not worth the cost and traveling for the middling coaching experience we received. fields are nice. CFC seemed more committed to its players. Oakwood great training but a more regimented minded approach. Not for every kid. Town premier, not a good option generally. good luck

Comment

So where did AFC's boys DOC go?

Comment

Are we really talking about AFC????? They have been dead and buried for along time. They still develop a quality player or two but that's far and long in between. DOC...... Like his coaching style or not he is highly respected among his peers and beloved by most of his players. I know that our club tried to lure him away a couple of years back but he remained loyal to AFC even though it was a sinking ship. Unfortunate for the club that he's leaving but I'm sure he will land on his feet

Comment

Are we really talking about AFC????? They have been dead and buried for along time. They still develop a quality player or two but that's far and long in between. DOC...... Like his coaching style or not he is highly respected among his peers and beloved by most of his players. I know that our club tried to lure him away a couple of years back but he remained loyal to AFC even though it was a sinking ship. Unfortunate for the club that he's leaving but I'm sure he will land on his feet
                  your club being FSA.

Comment

Dead and Buried

Funny how sinking ships that are buried produce some very talented players. Small individualized programs are excellent for certain purposes. The DOC, don't know anything about, however 14 years is a long time anywhere so maybe it was time for both sides to part ways.

Comment

These days premier should be at least 3 practices a week to develop players. How in the world are you developing a premier player practicing just twice a week? Some towns practice more a week than some premier teams and charge half u do Mr AFC owner. People stop feeding the scam that these premier teams are committed, especially this one! They are robbing your money and not giving the appropriate training that your kid should have. AFC is big on scamming all, by getting your money with little in return. Reason why they switch their uniforms every two years.

Comment

These days premier should be at least 3 practices a week to develop players. How in the world are you developing a premier player practicing just twice a week? Some towns practice more a week than some premier teams and charge half u do Mr AFC owner. People stop feeding the scam that these premier teams are committed, especially this one! They are robbing your money and not giving the appropriate training that your kid should have. AFC is big on scamming all, by getting your money with little in return. Reason why they switch their uniforms every two years.
                        My guess is AFC is probably cheaper? If so that's why 2 times/week. I also bet most CJSA teams also practice 2/week, so for that level it's fine. If parents want and can afford a club that does 3/week those clubs are out there. They've been around a long time while others have come and gone. Perfectly fine for younger players, lower level play. Better players looking for more will move on, just like many other clubs in the state.

Most clubs change their uniform every two years - plus your kid will probably have outgrown it anyway.

Comment

I don't get the uniform comment. This isn't the first time a poster has brought it up. If a club really wanted to profit from it they would change uniforms every year like some do.

Comment

I don't get the uniform comment. This isn't the first time a poster has brought it up. If a club really wanted to profit from it they would change uniforms every year like some do.
                            Most clubs you have to buy via a store like Soccer and Rugby or online. Can't imagine they make much if at all. Kids outgrow them and they get trashed. Two years is normal, even for travel.

Comment

Most clubs you have to buy via a store like Soccer and Rugby or online. Can't imagine they make much if at all. Kids outgrow them and they get trashed. Two years is normal, even for travel.
                              not to mention that afc's standard kit is a no-frills affair (we're an afc family); they keep the required items to a bare minimum. The OP is barking up a tree. Also 2 practices are fine for my kid's situation, if we wanted more we'd shop around for a new home.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X