Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First to the ball

Can you coach a desire to want the ball or is that beyond what they teach you in coaching skills. I watch my kid's team consistently fail top pressure the ball, fail to follow the shot, and basically play as if they have no control over the ball's destiny and will play it when it arrives at their feet by forethought or accident but not a moment sooner. It's infuriating. The coach just stands serenely on the sidelines and watches this scenario unfold for weeks on end. If I were her by this point I would be shaking my players to wake up.

Or maybe, if they don't want it, then rec soccer is where they should be.

Signed,
    annoyed

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can you coach a desire to want the ball or is that beyond what they teach you in coaching skills. I watch my kid's team consistently fail top pressure the ball, fail to follow the shot, and basically play as if they have no control over the ball's destiny and will play it when it arrives at their feet by forethought or accident but not a moment sooner. It's infuriating. The coach just stands serenely on the sidelines and watches this scenario unfold for weeks on end. If I were her by this point I would be shaking my players to wake up.

Signed,
    annoyed
    Come over the Fsa ecnl....that is ingrained in the girls from the doc down to the coaches

Comment

Come over the Fsa ecnl....that is ingrained in the girls from the doc down to the coaches
      This is an FSA coach I am referring to. *** are they coaching there? If you cant light a fire under these kids either you are the wrong coach or you signed the wrong players. This is basic stuff...

Comment

No coaches do not yell at kids. Not their job to be a jerk to kids.

Comment

No coaches do not yell at kids. Not their job to be a jerk to kids.
          Yet some of them excel at it.

There's a difference between yelling just to yell vs yelling to motivate. Sounds like the OP'S coach is phoning it in. He should look elsewhere, or at a minimum make sure whoever is coaching the team next year actually engages with players. Yes to excel a player has to be largely self motivated. But a coach that motivates his team can move mountains. If players think the coach doesn't care they're not likely to either

Comment

Signed,
            annoyed
            No you can't coach a kid to want the ball! Find another sport. What age?

Comment

You just be joking right? One kid lightly pressured the ball while 9 other fielders watch and try to catch their breath. Then after an easy pass to an open teammate the next lemming reacts to lightly pressure the ball. To the OPs point there is no coordinated defense at FSA, no instinct for 2nd and third defenders to proactively Mark an opposing player or assist 1st defender. It is easy pass after easy pass for our opponents. In the other side of that our kids do not support a teammate with the ball and offer them easy passes to help keep our attack going. Each individual player dribbles and turns until they have given the other team the ball either because they are very selfish or the team as a whole doesn't know to stay near the ball to offer support. Every single possession ends with a silly turnover. I agree with the OP, it is hard to watch week in and week out as they players never learn and the coaches offer no help. I know guided assistance is all the rage but when they don't get it give them the darned answer and make them play better or bench them!

Comment

You just be joking right? One kid lightly pressured the ball while 9 other fielders watch and try to catch their breath. Then after an easy pass to an open teammate the next lemming reacts to lightly pressure the ball. To the OPs point there is no coordinated defense at FSA, no instinct for 2nd and third defenders to proactively Mark an opposing player or assist 1st defender. It is easy pass after easy pass for our opponents. In the other side of that our kids do not support a teammate with the ball and offer them easy passes to help keep our attack going. Each individual player dribbles and turns until they have given the other team the ball either because they are very selfish or the team as a whole doesn't know to stay near the ball to offer support. Every single possession ends with a silly turnover. I agree with the OP, it is hard to watch week in and week out as they players never learn and the coaches offer no help. I know guided assistance is all the rage but when they don't get it give them the darned answer and make them play better or bench them!
                my daughters FSA NPL coach worked on this in practice for weeks - the top few kids got it and embraced it - however the majority either didn't understand, didn't care or didn't want to put in the effort. As a coach, if you go over the same thing for weeks and most of the kids are not grasping what your teaching what are you supposed to do? and if a middle aged non-soccer player could understand the concept it wasnt the coach not being able to explain....

Comment

Some teams just seem to do it better than others. Ajax and Prospect Dynamo come to mind. I have not seen a girl on either of those teams not go all out for a ball. Other teams just seem to be content to wait for the ball to arrive. FSA state teams, DFA, Foundation come to mind. CFC branches and Sporting are a mixed bag in terms of this skill, It seems to be more of a dynamic with girls teams. Boys all seem to instinctively want the ball. I don't know. Just frustrating to watch.

Comment

my daughters FSA NPL coach worked on this in practice for weeks - the top few kids got it and embraced it - however the majority either didn't understand, didn't care or didn't want to put in the effort. As a coach, if you go over the same thing for weeks and most of the kids are not grasping what your teaching what are you supposed to do? and if a middle aged non-soccer player could understand the concept it wasnt the coach not being able to explain....
                    If NPL level kids don't want it you really gotta wonder. What was your experience with the other NPL teams your D played against? Maybe it's an FSA girls thing.

Comment

If NPL level kids don't want it you really gotta wonder. What was your experience with the other NPL teams your D played against? Maybe it's an FSA girls thing.
                      This should have been ingrained in them by late U11. If not by U12, their club failed to train them properly.

Comment

The problem in such a case is not desire to get to a ball. The problem is a lack of confidence of what to do once you get to the ball.

Comment

Agree the issue is confidence, but not so much what to do when you get the ball, as lack of confidence that you actually will be able to win the ball, or are fast enough or whatever.

Confidence is the key.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X