Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Put down the ECNL Koolaid. Shouldn't the goal be to become a better player, which can then lead to playing in college? Call me crazy but that's why my D plays.
    Agreed. If your focus is not improving in soccer then why play at all. Makes you wonder but I guess it helps to elucidate why the schools these kids are attending are so bad in soccer. Why do they play in college?

Comment

No FSA girls are smart and tougher. They go to West Point.
      Please don't hold them out as examples of FSA greatness. Great kids who work their tails off. Nutjob parents.

Comment

When will you ever get the point that no one gives a **** about the team. Colleges recruit players. So if CFC and FSA are mid or lower table ECNL teams it doesn't really matter. Look at the college placement lists. The kids who can and want to play college ball get placed. How the team as a whole does doesn't really matter. ECNL is about getting individual kids in front of coaches who can watch them It has nothing to do with who wins the division. The importance of that went out at U14. Get a clue.
        You're spot on with how it is, but it's kind of sad isn't it? Team results used to matter and kids used to have a sense of accomplishment that taught them valuable lessons they could use in life. Somehow it's become all about the individual. I'm still one of those people that believe focus on the team and the rest will take care of itself. But I may admittedly be in the minority on that.

Comment

Agreed. If your focus is not improving in soccer then why play at all. Makes you wonder but I guess it helps to elucidate why the schools these kids are attending are so bad in soccer. Why do they play in college?
          I'd be curious to see how much they actually do play in college. Being a college athlete, even in D3, is a completely different level of dedication than doing club soccer. Plus your job is always on the line. If you're not cutting it you're gone.

Comment

I'd be curious to see how much they actually do play in college. Being a college athlete, even in D3, is a completely different level of dedication than doing club soccer. Plus your job is always on the line. If you're not cutting it you're gone.
            I played D1 at a perennial top 20 school and I agree with your point about your job always being on the line, at least in terms of playing time. However, if you're "not cutting it" as you say, it's not as simple as "you're gone". Your coaches care about you and want you to succeed, they spent time and money recruiting you and providing you with partial or full (less often) scholarship money. You're an investment to them so they want you to cut it.

Also, as funny as it may sound, college soccer, even high level D1, is honestly not a completely different level of dedication...not at all. It's obviously intense, but high level club soccer is and should be as well. The difference is that you don't need to get in your car after doing homework and drive an hour to and from practice 3 times a week. You simply have to walk to practice on campus or head to the weight room. For games, again you simply walk to the field for your home games or hop on the coach bus for away games (or take the coach to the airport for the further away games). In addition, the academic resources available to student athletes at any good college are amazing and very accessible. Staying on top of schoolwork is important, but the resources available really help with that aspect.

D1 (or D2/D3) takes commitment and dedication for sure, but I wouldn't call it "a completely different level".

Comment

I played D1 at a perennial top 20 school and I agree with your point about your job always being on the line, at least in terms of playing time. However, if you're "not cutting it" as you say, it's not as simple as "you're gone". Your coaches care about you and want you to succeed, they spent time and money recruiting you and providing you with partial or full (less often) scholarship money. You're an investment to them so they want you to cut it.

Also, as funny as it may sound, college soccer, even high level D1, is honestly not a completely different level of dedication...not at all. It's obviously intense, but high level club soccer is and should be as well. The difference is that you don't need to get in your car after doing homework and drive an hour to and from practice 3 times a week. You simply have to walk to practice on campus or head to the weight room. For games, again you simply walk to the field for your home games or hop on the coach bus for away games (or take the coach to the airport for the further away games). In addition, the academic resources available to student athletes at any good college are amazing and very accessible. Staying on top of schoolwork is important, but the resources available really help with that aspect.

D1 (or D2/D3) takes commitment and dedication for sure, but I wouldn't call it "a completely different level".
              Too bad club coaches and clubs could give 2 sh*ts about the player. Heartless pieces of sh*t. They know who they are. Isn't karma grand!!

Comment

vs practices 3/week for 1.5 hours? Yeah it's pretty different. Plus long travel during the week and mission g classes (vs just weekend travel for club) . Yeah it's pretty different. Plenty of coaches don't care either. Drop out rates for college athletes is very high

Comment

Too bad club coaches and clubs could give 2 sh*ts about the player. Heartless pieces of sh*t. They know who they are. Isn't karma grand!!
                  Way over-generalizing. Not at all true with good clubs/coaches. Are you with Beachside by chance? I've heard tough things from some disgruntled parents in the past few days. Not knocking Beachside at all, just curious?

Comment

Way over-generalizing. Not at all true with good clubs/coaches. Are you with Beachside by chance? I've heard tough things from some disgruntled parents in the past few days. Not knocking Beachside at all, just curious?
                    what are you hearing? have considered it as an option for my d but keep hearing mixed stuff.

Comment

what are you hearing? have considered it as an option for my d but keep hearing mixed stuff.
                      Haven't heard anything about girls, just boys , so can't help you out there.

Comment

BS used to have a strong girls program but let it crash and burn a few years ago. They're trying to rebuild it. Problem is without GDA or ECNL badges they'll keep losing better players in middle school. But the training is generally good and if your D is young it'a still worth looking at

Comment

Heard very good things.....top level training environment. Only serious players need apply.

Comment

vs practices 3/week for 1.5 hours? Yeah it's pretty different. Plus long travel during the week and mission g classes (vs just weekend travel for club) . Yeah it's pretty different. Plenty of coaches don't care either. Drop out rates for college athletes is very high
                            A little cynical for some reason. Did you play in college? Did you experience it first hand? For some reason I'm thinking no. You somewhat missed my point I think. The fact that I could walk to practices in 5 minutes or less was way easier for me than driving an hour each way 3+ times a week during the school week. HS class schedules are way different than college too as you know. In college you don't go to school from 7:30-2:00 every single day, you have a class schedule that varies and you manage your time. The travel to games in college was long at times, but comfortable and allowed for study/coursework. Missing classes occasionally wasn't an issue, you have online access to lectures that you miss, etc.

Not sure where you're coming up with "plenty of coaches don't care". That's ridiculous if you're talking about D1 college coaches (I don't have experience with D2/D3 so I can't speak to that). Good coaches care about their players and most college coaches are good.

Drop out rates are high in youth sports as well including HS, so not sure what that means? Some athletes get burned out, some can't handle the pressure of living away from home for the first time, some can't handle not being the star for the first time.

My original point was that high level club soccer and college soccer are similar and are both demanding in their own ways. I know from first hand experience, your experience must have been different and that's ok.

Comment

A little cynical for some reason. Did you play in college? Did you experience it first hand? For some reason I'm thinking no. You somewhat missed my point I think. The fact that I could walk to practices in 5 minutes or less was way easier for me than driving an hour each way 3+ times a week during the school week. HS class schedules are way different than college too as you know. In college you don't go to school from 7:30-2:00 every single day, you have a class schedule that varies and you manage your time. The travel to games in college was long at times, but comfortable and allowed for study/coursework. Missing classes occasionally wasn't an issue, you have online access to lectures that you miss, etc.

Not sure where you're coming up with "plenty of coaches don't care". That's ridiculous if you're talking about D1 college coaches (I don't have experience with D2/D3 so I can't speak to that). Good coaches care about their players and most college coaches are good.

Drop out rates are high in youth sports as well including HS, so not sure what that means? Some athletes get burned out, some can't handle the pressure of living away from home for the first time, some can't handle not being the star for the first time.

My original point was that high level club soccer and college soccer are similar and are both demanding in their own ways. I know from first hand experience, your experience must have been different and that's ok.

Not the poster but I've got one doing D1 soccer right now and another doing D1 in a different sport. I don't know how long ago you played but I can say watching what my kids go through and many of their HS teammates playing in college is it's probably closer to the other poster's than your recollections. Maybe not that extreme, but it is very much a job requiring a great deal of sacrifice. Many athletes can't cut it or get burned out. Just about every college coach will tell you there are 3 aspects to college - academics, athletics and social. If you're an athlete you'll have very little time for #3. As for the coach caring component it seems to be all over the place, just like anything else. Don't forget if a coach really wants your player they are very good sales people. We've lucked out but D's college roommate who plays bball just went through a terrible experience with a coach. Shop carefully.

I also can't speak to D3 but the impression is there is a bit more room for balance, especially in the off season. I don't know if it has lower drop out rates than D1.

Comment

Heard very good things.....top level training environment. Only serious players need apply.
                                Daughters team played BS Ulittle this past season. They have a couple of very good players, but past that the fall off in talent is quite striking. Seem very well coached.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X