Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    you make it sound as if sporting has the only parents with egos. Find a club that doesn't have them.
    I think the poster was referring to the egos of Sporting management. All clubs have issues with parent egos, some more than others

Comment

If they didn't you would kill them for committing to CJSA. No clubs can win here under any circumstances no matter which path they choose.
      They're just not going to get ECNL or DA any time soon. It isn't just that the leagues are full or the geography vs other CT clubs - they're still a young club with an inconsistent history. They're doing perfectly fine in EDP and now I guess some teams will be NYCSL, plus whatever state teams they run. Lots of other clubs are in the same boat - Revolution, EA, AC, BS (girls), YU - all mid level clubs that offer good training, solid competition, place a few players on college rosters, all light years better than CJSA. Like all those clubs they'll be unable to keep the best players and will fight for their share of the rest of the player pie. Not everyone can or should be at the top of the pyramid. But that doesn't mean you can't carve out a nice niche for yourself and do quite well. Try to be something you're not and it may end badly

Comment

I could not agree more with previous poster. I would even say that Sporting is at the top of the mid-level clubs and improving. They will not get DA or ECNL, but NPL is possible/probable. I would also add these mid-level clubs are cheaper than the big ones. Their fees are a little less and parents don't have to make plane trips.

Mid-level clubs like Sporting are 3-4k with fees and out-of-town hotels for tournaments.
        FSA, CFCU and Oakwood are closer to 10k (for their top teams).

Some parents can't afford 10K for soccer and so some of these mid-level clubs will keep great players.

Comment

I could not agree more with previous poster. I would even say that Sporting is at the top of the mid-level clubs and improving. They will not get DA or ECNL, but NPL is possible/probable. I would also add these mid-level clubs are cheaper than the big ones. Their fees are a little less and parents don't have to make plane trips.

Mid-level clubs like Sporting are 3-4k with fees and out-of-town hotels for tournaments.
          FSA, CFCU and Oakwood are closer to 10k (for their top teams).

Some parents can't afford 10K for soccer and so some of these mid-level clubs will keep great players.
          Agreed but your 10K estimate is much too high. $7 k for this family (done it with 2 kids). GDA won't be much better - maybe $1k-$1.5 less. It's still much too expensive for many families and you have to have been playing at a high level all along to get there. Not enough scholarships to go around in this pay to play system

Comment

We spent 8.5K for FSA ECNL this past year. Some spend a little more, some a little less- depends on the hotel, where you eat, drive or fly, entertainment, etc.

Comment

Wow! That's so much money. My kids are at the younger age groups playing for a big club- but expenses get that high? I guess I'm naive- and I have boys, which means virtually no change for a scholarship. Why do people do this again?

Comment

Wow! That's so much money. My kids are at the younger age groups playing for a big club- but expenses get that high? I guess I'm naive- and I have boys, which means virtually no change for a scholarship. Why do people do this again?
                Well, a lot of that expense is infrequent long-distance travel, so doubles as vacation.

Comment

not happening. news broke tonight - sporting said no to ow. see other thread for details.

Comment

At u14 Oakwood is $2,600 and Ginga is $2,800.

If this isn't a red flag I don't know what is. US Youth soccer is an absolute mess. I pray for all of you who have kids playing.

Comment

At u14 Oakwood is $2,600 and Ginga is $2,800.

If this isn't a red flag I don't know what is. US Youth soccer is an absolute mess. I pray for all of you who have kids playing.
                      At 8 hours a week on average for 28-40 weeks (depending on the age group), it's anywhere from $8 - $11 an hour. You couldn't get a convict on a work fulough program for that money. LOL

Comment

At 8 hours a week on average for 28-40 weeks (depending on the age group), it's anywhere from $8 - $11 an hour. You couldn't get a convict on a work fulough program for that money. LOL
                        That is why you get daddy coaches at ow. They work for peanuts and a roster spot for their kid.

Comment

That is why you get daddy coaches at ow. They work for peanuts and a roster spot for their kid.
                          Ow cult of silly parents. Soccer doesn't matter. Nope. Ow is no better today in placement than 40 years ago. Nothing has changed. Nada. Nil. Nunca. Zip.

At least in old days the juggling guy from hartford hellions could work the crowd. Now... yuck. Marginal players from Colchester, deep river, wethersfield, Manchester, Coventry, guilford, east Lyme, Waterford, Glastonbury, Mansfield, ledyard, etc give up high school to go to st. Laurence. Well done

Comment

$8-11 an hour times 18 or so players per team is a pretty decent chunk of change to pay a coach and pay for facility overhead.

Comment

$8-11 an hour times 18 or so players per team is a pretty decent chunk of change to pay a coach and pay for facility overhead.
                              You're missing a few expenses in your math such as league fees, travel expenses for coaches etc.

Comment

A cashier at the south Windsor McDonald's is making $8 and hour. Seriously, they are making around 8.60 an hour. So you are saying those two jobs are equal? You are probably right. Ow coach might even be overpaid given that comparison and their credentials.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X