Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best development u10

Best development for u10 girl? Central CT.

Matter a whole lot yet? Could play on any team.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Best development for u10 girl? Central CT.
      Depends on coach and org. Oakwood or FSA would be best bet if you're in the northern 2/3rds of the state.

Comment

Matter a whole lot yet? Could play on any team.
        Actually I think it does matter a whole lot. Get your kid on a team with the wrong coach then they are destined to pick up bad habits which can be hard to break. It will be hard to catch up in later years. Kind of tired of hearing people say it doesn't matter. I think it does matter.

Comment

Actually I think it does matter a whole lot. Get your kid on a team with the wrong coach then they are destined to pick up bad habits which can be hard to break. It will be hard to catch up in later years. Kind of tired of hearing people say it doesn't matter. I think it does matter.
          It doesn't matter. 9 year old kids should be playing travel and having fun. The madness of premier can wait a year or two. They'll be just fine, seriously.

Comment

Fully agree. Wait a year or two and she'll miss a year or two of serious development in favor of learning how the whack the ball with all her might down the field in travel.

Comment

Fully agree. Wait a year or two and she'll miss a year or two of serious development in favor of learning how the whack the ball with all her might down the field in travel.
              It's not black and white, you can't make a blanket statement. Not all travel coaches/programs are bad at all. If you live in a town with good travel coaching (not Dad coaches), you're completely fine waiting a year or two, avoiding the costs and the ridiculous parents. The kids can still have a lot of fun with their friends and develop at the same time. If your town program sucks, then I agree, look elsewhere or be left behind in a few years.

Comment

It's not black and white, you can't make a blanket statement. Not all travel coaches/programs are bad at all. If you live in a town with good travel coaching (not Dad coaches), you're completely fine waiting a year or two, avoiding the costs and the ridiculous parents. The kids can still have a lot of fun with their friends and develop at the same time. If your town program sucks, then I agree, look elsewhere or be left behind in a few years.
                You bias is short sighted. My girl and her two buddies had a daddy coach, actually two that instilled a love for the game when they were u littles. Taught them how to make good decions, foot skills, which feet to receive, how to build, really a ton of knowledge. All three play ecnl and wouldn't have been there if not for the almost thtee years they spent with these two daddy travel coaches. These two dads are still at it and producing girls at all the big three.

Comment

You bias is short sighted. My girl and her two buddies had a daddy coach, actually two that instilled a love for the game when they were u littles. Taught them how to make good decions, foot skills, which feet to receive, how to build, really a ton of knowledge. All three play ecnl and wouldn't have been there if not for the almost thtee years they spent with these two daddy travel coaches. These two dads are still at it and producing girls at all the big three.
                  You know what, you're right that does happen on occasion, I didn't mean to be short sighted. Although it's not the norm, it does happen, I've seen it myself too.

Comment

It is very dependent on the quality of your local program. If it's pretty good then no harm in continuing for another year and possibly supplementing with extra programs - which many clubs have and are a good way to see how clubs operate. Doing some supplemental work can also help gauge your kids' enthusiasm - if doing more results in complaining and not wanting to go then don't go premier because your player won't last. But if they are excited and keep wanting more then there may be something there and you can do premier next year.

If the town program sucks then look elsewhere but do your research. Just hanging a premier shingle up doesn't mean the coaching is any good. Your best bet is to ask families with somewhat older players in your area. TS is filled with agendas so take club recommendations with a heft dose of skepticism.

Comment

I don't disagree. But I don't live in West Hartford or the few other towns in the area where town travel isn't one big political mess with dad coaches screaming for the kids to 'send it' every time they get near the ball. I just haven't seen a lot of quality town programs over the years with my three kids that have been through travel.

Comment

Sometimes you can play on a town team nearby. It's worth looking into if your town program is awful but you're not sure you want to go the club route.

Comment

People like to say that it doesn't matter for uLittles, but the wrong coach at an early age can have more of an impact than the best premier coaching in their teen years. For my son, we were in a town rec/travel program from the earliest age till u9. Everyone raved how awesome the program was because the coaches were all British. When I saw the actual practices, it was clear it was a joke. These were just British kids looking to get a US Visa and party for a year. Several of them NEVER played soccer themselves. Nice lads but clueless about the sport and even more clueless about how to work with young kids. Being born in the UK does not make you an instant soccer coach. The practices were just mostly scrimmages. There was no REAL coaching and no instruction.

Fortunately, my son is pretty athletic and I was able to work with him a bit in the yard. He was able to make a top premier team a year ago and his game has improved dramatically. However, for pure ball mastery and technical skill, he is way behind all his teammates who benefitted from good coaching and quality instruction. If he continues to improve, he'll do OK and may be able to stay on this team. Who knows what his game would be like if he didn't spend the first year on a premier team unlearning bad habits and re-learning ball skills.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X