Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My family spent over $9k last year (with all expenses including family travel). We have 1 player. She played in U14GDA. Not worth it. 9k x 4 or 5 years equals more than the price of a Florida prepaid plan.
    That's important math a lot of families don't do. They're already neck deep when they finally realize they've shelled out massive amounts of money over several years of youth soccer.

Comment

Let me start by saying this is not intended to be another DA/ECNL debate. That is a different topic. The two leagues have similar travel costs so I am trying to get an honest assessment on how my club is doing to keep costs down.

Our club is requiring team travel to all away games(not a surprise) but they are also requiring team travel and lodging for the showcases which is driving the team budget to extremes. I am not new to this and know this is not a cheap adventure but I am feeling like our club is out of touch with the costs we are incurring.

So I ask this. What is your yearly team budget for all team expenses and travel? I will go first. This years budget just came out and we are at $4500 per player or about $560 a month for 8 months. This seems high to me and is a burden considering my family will also need to replicate expenses to see our child play. Please only comment if you have a player in one of the two leagues as the travel is roughly the same.
      ECNL u16, ours is about the same without airfare or playoff expenses.

Comment

My family spent over $9k last year (with all expenses including family travel). We have 1 player. She played in U14GDA. Not worth it. 9k x 4 or 5 years equals more than the price of a Florida prepaid plan.
        I spent $15k last year for ECNL, but my daughter also lives 3 hours away so we had to get hotels for even home games

Comment

I spent $15k last year for ECNL, but my daughter also lives 3 hours away so we had to get hotels for even home games
          What?

Comment

Oh dear lord. You're either:

1. Wealthy
            2. Stupid
            3. Trolling

Comment

Oh dear lord. You're either:

1. Wealthy
              2. Stupid
              3. Trolling

Continued

Ain't no ECNL club in America worth 15 grand a year.

Comment

Continued

Ain't no ECNL club in America worth 15 grand a year.

Actually, normal for DP's to clock in around this amount, sometimes more if you're flying to Arizona, NJ, with family coming along to watch... They never have a 'home' game.

Comment

Those outliers. Or just plain liers

Comment

Actually, normal for DP's to clock in around this amount, sometimes more if you're flying to Arizona, NJ, with family coming along to watch... They never have a 'home' game.
                    So they are number 1 or 2. Or most likely a 1 2 combo

Comment

We spent about $8k. We love it though. As long as my daughter loves it, we will support her.
                      We have been traveling for years and we have enjoyed it. I will say earlier years of travel meant Jacksonville, Orlando an occasional trip to Miami (we are from the Tampa area) and one big trip to say CASL and Jeff Cup. They seems to be the good ole days. Then ECNL comes into the picture and we think the league is great. I will tell you a trip to Atlanta, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina takes a lot of the fun and enjoyment out of it. As someone else said just use some common sense on the travel. Every other weekend to some of these locations can not only ware your wallet out but man leaving early on Fridays and getting home late on Sundays suck. I know a few families that have two kids in it (boy and girl) and they are gone almost every weekend from now through October.

Bottom line Florida has enough talent to create a decent league. They probably need to cut out RP3 so it’s not watered down. Then the quality stays up and the travel not so ridiculous. Our kid is a senior and as much as I know I will miss watching her play 10 months of the year, I won’t be missing the long haul getting there and back. Fortunately for us she chose a College in Florida about 2 hours away so us we can go back to a couple hour car ride to enjoy some soccer!

Comment

Bottom line Florida has enough talent to create a decent league.
                        Georgia did exactly that. SCCL. The fallout has been and will continue to be very interesting but I wish them luck and hope they succeed. The travel is ridiculous when there are more than enough teams and talent to play against in-state.

Comment

Georgia did exactly that. SCCL. The fallout has been and will continue to be very interesting but I wish them luck and hope they succeed. The travel is ridiculous when there are more than enough teams and talent to play against in-state.
                          SCCL is just more of the same mess a "premier" league for "top level clubs" where Tophat, Concorde Fire, and SSA's "B" and "C" teams can play each other and parents can say they are premier even if on a B or C team.

I am not sure what it would take to get a real top teams in the state league, unfortunately I think those days are gone for the foreseeable future.

Comment

SCCL is just more of the same mess a "premier" league for "top level clubs" where Tophat, Concorde Fire, and SSA's "B" and "C" teams can play each other and parents can say they are premier even if on a B or C team.

I am not sure what it would take to get a real top teams in the state league, unfortunately I think those days are gone for the foreseeable future.
                            ECNL can keep the SE Region but create state conferences. Make the bulk of the schedule in state and schedule one out of conference weekend in the fall and one in the spring. Problem solved. I know this may not work for Alabama or Tennessee, but those States have had to travel more no matter what the top league was, so unfortunately they will need to travel a bit more but I think this concept can work.

Comment

ECNL can keep the SE Region but create state conferences. Make the bulk of the schedule in state and schedule one out of conference weekend in the fall and one in the spring. Problem solved. I know this may not work for Alabama or Tennessee, but those States have had to travel more no matter what the top league was, so unfortunately they will need to travel a bit more but I think this concept can work.
                              Like GDA does.

Comment

Doubt that is "normal" for DP players. Know a few who have driven a couple hours but they were given a break on the full 4 days a week gig and they were skilled enough to be main rostered had the lived closer.

By the time your kids is 14/15, you know if they are "THAT" talented to sacrifice the time, gas money and study time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X