Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We cant simultaneously ask for a single pyramid while advocating families shop their children when the club identifies them as a bubble player. Isn’t it highly probable the player really is a bubble player at that level, and more likely the club is actually recommending what is developmentally best?
    Right. By benching players, that is certainly what is developmentally best.

Comment

- there's more spots than talent
      - there's more leagues than clubs that should be in them
      - clubs are businesses, even those claiming to be non profit
      - parents need to look out for their kids
      - parents are terrible assessing their kid's talent
      - parents are terrible assessing coaching talent
      - coaches are terrible at assessing talent
      - coaches are dumber than a box of rocks
      - you pay this guy to coach your kid soccer but otherwise they are an idiot and you would never pay them to anything else for you
      - there's way too much travel and cost
      - the over-supply of teams and spots and leagues leaves coaches playing to win (to attract more players) rather than take a long term approach to development

I combined and added some more. It's no wonder parents are fed up with all of it and participation is down

Comment

- there's more spots than talent
        - there's more leagues than clubs that should be in them
        - clubs are businesses, even those claiming to be non profit
        - parents need to look out for their kids
        - parents are terrible assessing their kid's talent
        - parents are terrible assessing coaching talent
        - coaches are terrible at assessing talent
        - coaches are dumber than a box of rocks
        - you pay this guy to coach your kid soccer but otherwise they are an idiot and you would never pay them to anything else for you
        - there's way too much travel and cost
        - the over-supply of teams and spots and leagues leaves coaches playing to win (to attract more players) rather than take a long term approach to development

I combined and added some more. It's no wonder parents are fed up with all of it and participation is down

If your kid is happy stay where you are. Stop chasing the dream of others and enjoy the experience. Accept spots if offered; if not, move on

Comment

If your kid is happy stay where you are. Stop chasing the dream of others and enjoy the experience. Accept spots if offered; if not, move on
          Not always the best advice. Lots of kids are happy or don't want to leave friends, but there may be a better fit for them elsewhere. My kid was happy in travel, until we tried out at some clubs and he saw a completely different world.

Comment

Offers haven't gone out at our club, at least not the bulk of our offers. It is way too early to assume that your kid is being dropped or won't get a good spot next year.

Some offers will go out in May, but the bulk will go out early June.

If you are worried about getting sent down or hopeful about getting moved up I think it's totally appropriate to schedule a feedback session with your coach. You can ask what your kid needs to improve upon to move up, or what her weaknesses are, etc. You cannot ask where they are going to place him/her next year.

Good luck!

P.S. My kid got one of the last offers last year and is still a starter/main player. Sometimes it is about more than just your kid. I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

Yes, if your coach or club finds out they are going to be pissed and take it out on the player. Unfortunately. I heard last year that one of the coaches from our club either went to try outs or asked a coach who was a friend at another club if any of our players went to tryouts. It was not pretty the next practice.

BUT

You gotta do what you gotta do...

Comment

Yes, if your coach or club finds out they are going to be pissed and take it out on the player. Unfortunately. I heard last year that one of the coaches from our club either went to try outs or asked a coach who was a friend at another club if any of our players went to tryouts. It was not pretty the next practice.

BUT

You gotta do what you gotta do...
                Taking it out on kids shows you what kind of person they are, specifically someone you don't want coaching your kid. Odd how clubs expect loyalty from players but clubs are quick to cut players for the next shiny object.

Comment

Taking it out on kids shows you what kind of person they are, specifically someone you don't want coaching your kid. Odd how clubs expect loyalty from players but clubs are quick to cut players for the next shiny object.
                  Believe me, all these coaches talk and they all know who is trying out where, or if one of their players had an unofficial tryout (attended a practice at another club). There are no secrets. And, parents are more than happy to spread the gossip who they saw at their club tryouts. If you go to any practice with another club, word always gets back.

Comment

Believe me, all these coaches talk and they all know who is trying out where, or if one of their players had an unofficial tryout (attended a practice at another club). There are no secrets. And, parents are more than happy to spread the gossip who they saw at their club tryouts. If you go to any practice with another club, word always gets back.
                    When my kid was trying out for another team, we told our coach. Was he happy, no, but we are upfront about this stuff. There is no exclusivity on clubs and each club has a different philosophy/style of play. How do you know what works for you unless you try it and see if it does or not?

Why teach your kid to be sneaky? You are looking because something is telling you to (style of play, cost, coaching, people, proximity). If you were happy, you wouldn't be testing the waters.

And, YOU pay the fee. So, you are in the driver's seat. If you are a good coach/good club, you welcome kids looking elsewhere (again, there is a variety of reasons..not always is it bad...could be closer to home; cost); and maybe even leaving and coming back if it doesn't work out.

Teach respect and you get respect back.

Comment

When my kid was trying out for another team, we told our coach. Was he happy, no, but we are upfront about this stuff. There is no exclusivity on clubs and each club has a different philosophy/style of play. How do you know what works for you unless you try it and see if it does or not?

Why teach your kid to be sneaky? You are looking because something is telling you to (style of play, cost, coaching, people, proximity). If you were happy, you wouldn't be testing the waters.

And, YOU pay the fee. So, you are in the driver's seat. If you are a good coach/good club, you welcome kids looking elsewhere (again, there is a variety of reasons..not always is it bad...could be closer to home; cost); and maybe even leaving and coming back if it doesn't work out.

Teach respect and you get respect back.
                      That sounds great and all but there are plenty of clubs that, if they get wind that you are looking elsewhere or not coming back next year, your kid won't see the field again.

Comment

Agree with previous poster 100% the coaching world is a small community. The coaches of smaller clubs are naturally more concerned about getting picked over. If you have 2 kids who are basically equal and one states they are thinking of leaving, why not work harder to keep the other kid and not risk losing two. Funny how Coaches are always much nicer in mid-spring when tryout season starts

Comment

Agree with previous poster 100% the coaching world is a small community. The coaches of smaller clubs are naturally more concerned about getting picked over. If you have 2 kids who are basically equal and one states they are thinking of leaving, why not work harder to keep the other kid and not risk losing two. Funny how Coaches are always much nicer in mid-spring when tryout season starts
                          There are many fish in this ocean.
                          We have created a virtually endless recycling program
                          As for dumb, I think mirrors speak volumes...

Comment

I’m interested in the ages of your kid if you feel like you have choices for a club. In our age group Stars is the only club with talent if you have a private school kid who can’t play da. Going to tryouts for another team would be taking a serious step down in terms of teammate ability. So do I love everything? Nope. But there’s not a good alternative in our age group.

Comment

I’m interested in the ages of your kid if you feel like you have choices for a club. In our age group Stars is the only club with talent if you have a private school kid who can’t play da. Going to tryouts for another team would be taking a serious step down in terms of teammate ability. So do I love everything? Nope. But there’s not a good alternative in our age group.
                              sometimes you have to chose the best of the bad.

Comment

They paying you, shill?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X