Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NJ Crush

My daughter’s friend plays for a club called NJ Crush. I think its part of Cedar Stars. Her friend keeps asking my daughter to tryout and her mom says great things about the club, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences / reviews to share?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter’s friend plays for a club called NJ Crush. I think its part of Cedar Stars. Her friend keeps asking my daughter to tryout and her mom says great things about the club, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences / reviews to share?
    So, you got a personal experience from an acquaintance, and instead you want to go on an anonymous message board that is littered with agendas?

I'd suggest you go with what you are hearing first hand vs. what's on here.

Comment

Wrong place to be asking this question. My advice would be see if she can go to a practice or two. From there if she is good enough, likes the other girls and likes the training she will have a good experience. If any of those 3 things are missing she will be miserable.

Comment

Csa

Crush has been combined with CSA and it seems to be working out for both clubs.

Pros:
        Good coaches
        Nice families and parents
        Plenty of opportunities and facilities for training
        Several levels of teams
        Participates in most major tournaments
        Overall a solid program with money behind it

Cons:
        $3800 per year
        Some confusion with the new DA program
        Have had a lot of girls leave for other programs recently
        Concerns that the DA will become the total focus of the club and the 2nd and 3rd teams will be forgotten
        Accommodating the CSA and Crush teams means more travel for training.
        Until now, some teams are not as competitive as you'd expect you can check the Jeff Cup standings to see which flights they played in and how they did

Comment

NJ Crush merged into Cedar Stars 2 years back for U14 & older. It remains NJ Crush for U13 & below. We're in our 3rd year with them & it's been a great experience for my daughter. As someone else posted, coaches have all been good, & there are different level of teams w/in an age group. Next year's DA program will be for next year's U14s & U15s.

Comment

Originally posted by JJD New Jersey View Post
            Crush has been combined with CSA and it seems to be working out for both clubs.

Pros:
            Good coaches
            Nice families and parents
            Plenty of opportunities and facilities for training
            Several levels of teams
            Participates in most major tournaments
            Overall a solid program with money behind it

Cons:
            $3800 per year
            Some confusion with the new DA program
            Have had a lot of girls leave for other programs recently
            Concerns that the DA will become the total focus of the club and the 2nd and 3rd teams will be forgotten
            Accommodating the CSA and Crush teams means more travel for training.
            Until now, some teams are not as competitive as you'd expect you can check the Jeff Cup standings to see which flights they played in and how they did
            Who comes up with this garbage? You have no clue about NJ Crush probably. Sounds like Match Fit coach who is trying to recruit people.

Comment

Who comes up with this garbage? You have no clue about NJ Crush probably. Sounds like Match Fit coach who is trying to recruit people.
              That's a bit antagonistic and fairly presumptuous to something where it seemed like the person was trying to be reasonable and objective.

But anyway, I'll comment as I've been involved with Crush (and have a clue) with multiple kids across multiple years, coaches and programs.

I have nothing directly bad or negative to say about Crush as both of my kids have/had benefited from being in the program. Lee is one of the best people around in the soccer scene - genuine, honest and truly cares about everyone. And I truly believe the other coaches have the same level of care as well. Coaches are quality and care about teaching the game. They will not screw you over and ultimately (as I've heard from many coaches there) "we want kids who want to be here". Sounds like a cliche but it does end up feeling more "family like". If you are just starting out and down have a good "town team" option, great place to go, or if you are outgrowing your town team (or sick of that scene) NJC is a good next step. Most parents are nice as OP said.

So where's the downside. Well, and maybe I'll get some hate back from this person but it's not wrong. Like it or not there is still some of that "town team feel" running around where pockets of parents get involved and try to influence. And along with that "family" feeling where people get too close, you see some exceptions or accommodations made here and there and it bubbles around in pockets in the club. It is sometimes static noise if you can't block it out and I wish the club would stop letting it happen. To some parents it gets to be very annoying that it exists in a club that says "elite" in their messaging. Along with that, like it or not NJC has an identity issue where coaches say "elite" and "top tier", but in reality the club slides in between the level of "top clubs" and your town team, and I'd say well above your town team, but below those other places. Now CSA Bergen has DA (or almost does) but we are talking Crush. Argue that you want, but historically the cream of the crop who develop at Crush end up going onto DA or ECNL teams elsewhere. Just a fact and I can name the kids. I've heard one or more coach say, 'we don't compete with PDA, it isn't who we are, so if who we are is that we develop kids to the point where they have to go and play there to compete at their level, that is fine and we have done our job" And honestly there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. The chance to graduate from your town team, to Crush, to a higher level program, there's nothing wrong with that progression. But it isn't like Crush teams are the "elite" girls teams in the area. They end up being very good competitive teams, but if you go and do the mapping and see where each play, they are a level below the top tier, but again, nothing wrong with having a place to progress into and out of.

In the end I'd recommend Crush as a place to send your daughter to learn and progress, but I don't see Crush as being any kid's end game if they end up becoming a high ceiling or elite player.

Comment

CSA Crush

I don't understand why stupid people always fall back on this and call it an argument. I guess narrow thinking and stupidity go hand in hand.

Following the OP's post, I listed a few general things to help make the decision. Anyone who knows what they are talking about would agree to most of it, if not all. If you have a different opinion and you are able express it, feel free to share.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X