X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sue! Really? Boys HS soccer is a joke.
    My son has no interest in playing. He goes to a top D1 school and still has no interest. He knows every kid and they have contend for the state title a few times. It just isn’t worth it.

I played for a state champion team In HS a 100 years ago and I see what he gets to do and it is no contest. He travels the world for his DA team and plays against the best players in the country. Loves every minute and just wants more. I don’t understand the “kids are missing out if they don’t play HS” crowd.
    Discrimination due to gender is illegal. The lawsuit would be filed within a week.

Comment

You know how fast BDA parents would sue if GDA was allowed to play high school?
      It doesn’t matter. Nefc give half of the teams waivers and play the fall with HS rejects and they are middle of the table. . And then in the spring they beat up the weak competition and they rise to the top. Rinse and repeat. Oakwood is stupid enough not do it and lost players. Bottom line: allowed or not by DA, Nefc top players play HS. And that’s the only way they will keep good-decent players.

Comment

It doesn’t matter. Nefc give half of the teams waivers and play the fall with HS rejects and they are middle of the table. . And then in the spring they beat up the weak competition and they rise to the top. Rinse and repeat. Oakwood is stupid enough not do it and lost players. Bottom line: allowed or not by DA, Nefc top players play HS. And that’s the only way they will keep good-decent players.
        It's "allowed" because the gigantic loophole in DA rules for add-ons dup until early April. It's not technically a waiver - official waivers are just for private school and have to be approved by USSF. Because DA isn't the shiny object it once was DA clubs are struggling to find quality players and are increasingly offer the look the other way while players play HS then add them on later. when a rule becomes a total joke, should you continue with the rule? Or do you tighten the rule to try and regain some degree of credibility? Because that's what is happening - not only is it becoming a joke, but it also ticks off players and families that obey the rules.

Comment

Discrimination due to gender is illegal. The lawsuit would be filed within a week.
          Oh yeah, if the girls get to play HS legally USSF would have to let boys do it too. MLS doesn't want HS and USSF is trying desperately to hold on to MLS clubs. Therefore it won't happen, at least not for this next year. IF MLS clubs leave they may have no choice.

Comment

Sue! Really? Boys HS soccer is a joke.
            My son has no interest in playing. He goes to a top D1 school and still has no interest. He knows every kid and they have contend for the state title a few times. It just isn’t worth it.

I played for a state champion team In HS a 100 years ago and I see what he gets to do and it is no contest. He travels the world for his DA team and plays against the best players in the country. Loves every minute and just wants more. I don’t understand the “kids are missing out if they don’t play HS” crowd.
            Try living outside your own personal bubble. Many kids want to play HS ball, even bad HS ball.

Comment

Try living outside your own personal bubble. Many kids want to play HS ball, even bad HS ball.
              Try living outside your own personal bubble. Many kids don't want to play HS, even good HS ball.

Comment

Try living outside your own personal bubble. Many kids don't want to play HS, even good HS ball.
                If that were entirely true there wouldn't be all this angst over HS soccer.

Comment

If that were entirely true there wouldn't be all this angst over HS soccer.
                  There's really not a lot of angst. There is if you judge the constant fretting on TS posts with an agenda; but in the real world it's mostly a "take it or leave it" scenario.

Comment

Can't we all just get along....?? No, seriously, I think this forum is a lot like the choices kids have to make, everyone has their own agenda and belief as to what the best path is for them. Some kids (and by kids I mean kids and parents) feel that the DA is the best route for them; some believe ECNL and continuing to play HS is the best path for them; some feel that ODP may be a great route, and in a way they are all right because it's their choice.

Who are we to make a judgement on what players/parents feel is the best route for them?

What makes our beliefs and choices any better than theirs?

Do I feel the best talent all goes to DA? Not at all; but I do feel for the top 1-2% of the talent that DA is a very good option for them if they have the desire and ability to push for a role or spot in the national team pool.

Do I feel HS is a good option? I believe as some have posted that it depends on the level of the HS, but also feel that HS can provide an athlete with experiences neither DA or ECNL can. There is something to be said about a player who can raise the level of their teammates despite the talent/commitment level. There is something to having to be the best, or one of the best players on the field. The ability to sharpen leadership and character through the HS game is very underrated, let alone the memories one will make with friends they have grown up with.
                    However, not for everyone, and not everyone will grow in that environment.

Players and parents will make choices they feel are the best for their growth and we all know when we come onto this forum that there will be people who agree and disagree, if you can't handle someone ripping what you say, just don't venture onto forums like these. I think most of the topics are interesting ones to discuss and debate and I am sure a players and parent these days has a very difficult decision to make when it comes to what is the best possible route for them.

Comment

Can't we all just get along....?? No, seriously, I think this forum is a lot like the choices kids have to make, everyone has their own agenda and belief as to what the best path is for them. Some kids (and by kids I mean kids and parents) feel that the DA is the best route for them; some believe ECNL and continuing to play HS is the best path for them; some feel that ODP may be a great route, and in a way they are all right because it's their choice.

Who are we to make a judgement on what players/parents feel is the best route for them?

Do I feel the best talent all goes to DA? Not at all; but I do feel for the top 1-2% of the talent that DA is a very good option for them if they have the desire and ability to push for a role or spot in the national team pool.

Do I feel HS is a good option? I believe as some have posted that it depends on the level of the HS, but also feel that HS can provide an athlete with experiences neither DA or ECNL can. There is something to be said about a player who can raise the level of their teammates despite the talent/commitment level. There is something to having to be the best, or one of the best players on the field. The ability to sharpen leadership and character through the HS game is very underrated, let alone the memories one will make with friends they have grown up with.

Players and parents will make choices they feel are the best for their growth and we all know when we come onto this forum that there will be people who agree and disagree, if you can't handle someone ripping what you say, just don't venture onto forums like these. I think most of the topics are interesting ones to discuss and debate and I am sure a players and parent these days has a very difficult decision to make when it comes to what is the best possible route for them.

Like!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered

If this is true, then why are the NT players in this area not playing DA? Next year, the SSS players will, but so far, they are coming from other programs.

Comment

If this is true, then why are the NT players in this area not playing DA? Next year, the SSS players will, but so far, they are coming from other programs.
                          Good point, I never said they are; I just stated that I believed that the DA makes sense most for those types of players. Again, each player (and parent of course) will make a decision for themselves. Perhaps those players wanted the ability to continue to play with their friends in HS? Who knows?

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theunde...ee-series/amp/

Comment

Clueless parents quoted at the end of this article. If they actually need the scholarship, then any package from Yale would be worth far more than the other ones they are citing. Does the author not understand how this stuff works?

Comment

Clueless parents quoted at the end of this article. If they actually need the scholarship, then any package from Yale would be worth far more than the other ones they are citing. Does the author not understand how this stuff works?
                                That parent sure doesn't. Ivies don't do athletic or merit scholarships, only financial need. However, their threshold for financial need is very generous. But, like many soccer families they can afford pricey club soccer but make too much for Financial aid and not enough to pay full boat for college.

Anyway no one should be doing club soccer expecting large financial rewards down the line.
                                That's true of boys and girls but definitely for boys. Fewer scholarships and many teams give a few away to international players, leaving even less for the rest. The author's son has great grades and will be fine. If your grades are only ok you have to be an outstanding player to get interest from good programs. Every club parent should have to take a class on the realities before their kid starts high school. Of course if that happened half these leagues and clubs would collapse as families bail out and just play locally

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X