Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA - How do we do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA - How do we do it?

I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

How do we get US Soccer's Attention?

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.

Will be interesting to see if this happens for next year in the boys DA. I imagine they'll announce something by Nov/Dec if they plan to do it. The 16/17 age group seems to cause a lot of talented U15s to get cut because there just isnt room for them. I think a u16 age group would be welcomed and give the boys more time to develop.

Comment

I think US Soccer wants to force kids out to funnel the "elite" talent to the top. My daughter was one who got pushed out after two years of DA. This is a mjor factor in the success of ECNL, IMO. My son survived the transition in DA but many of his peers were pushed out. It seems really unfortunate

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I think US Soccer wants to force kids out to funnel the "elite" talent to the top. My daughter was one who got pushed out after two years of DA. This is a mjor factor in the success of ECNL, IMO. My son survived the transition in DA but many of his peers were pushed out. It seems really unfortunate
        Well, old topic but I guess technically you have a U16 group in the MLS Next league... though AFAIK its only non-MLS teams that are fielding sides in that age group.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X