Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are you sure they are meaningless? Is there any correlation between winning teams at U11 and u15? I understand teams change and transition new players in and out, wondering if the foundation of strong teams correlates to success 3-4 years down the road. Not sure it matters, everyone is just playing for a trophy, I just don't minimize "success" at younger ages.
    No, there is no corrolation of u11 teams winning and that same team at u15 and the fact that some may even think there is shows how little those parents know about soccer development, adolescent growth and development and how competitive youth soccer is organized at older ages.

Lets start with my last statement: most teams at u11, if they are winning, are doing it because of a few impact players who most likely developed physically earlier than others and/or are just very gifted skill wise. The talent and athleticism at those young ages is not evenly distributed and by U14, those impact players will be playing in DAP/ECNL/NPL teams while the rest either left the sport or are playing on weaker regional teams/leagues.

Second, as I stated earlier, puberty is the X factor, with many players surpassing the early developers physically. With girls, puberty wrecks havoc on their athleticism with many getting slower with the body composotion changes and weight gain. Add in teenage angst, boys, outside interest, and many of those "top" girls leave the sport or fizzle out during high school when the game becomes much more competitive and difficult physically and mentally.

Last, winning is often the antithesis of proper development at the younger ages, including u11. Players should be rotated in positions, including keepers and playing more possession style with build-up from the back should be the norm. That changes when the objective is to win and the play-style often changes to direct attacks or just getting the ball to the impact player.

Winning is and should be a funtion of good development at these ages, not the goal itself, but of course all parents seem to care about is little Mia's U11 team being number 1...

Comment

Which "little Mia's U11 team being number 1" is much more fun for us to talk about than all your doom and gloom.

Which leads us back to who ya got?

Comment

You should.

None of the teams we competed at at U10 and U11 are the same as we are competing at now, and it's only U13.

Large organizations start to pool players. Other programs that are light in the younger ages grow. Kids quit. Really, not much is the same from who played against, our own team included, in those 3 years.
        Fair enough, I don't have a kid that's gone through the age groups yet. Thanks for the perspective

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2090583]No, there is no corrolation of u11 teams winning and that same team at u15 and the fact that some may even think there is shows how little those parents know about soccer development, adolescent growth and development and how competitive youth soccer is organized at older ages.

Lets start with my last statement: most teams at u11, if they are winning, are doing it because of a few impact players who most likely developed physically earlier than others and/or are just very gifted skill wise. The talent and athleticism at those young ages is not evenly distributed and by U14, those impact players will be playing in DAP/ECNL/NPL teams while the rest either left the sport or are playing on weaker regional teams/leagues.

If those impact players stay together, and add some late bloomers, wouldn't it stand to reason that they will continue to win games? We can agree that winning at that age is over rated but it would be easy to see winning at both age groups. If you've had a kid that was on a winning and developmentally strong u11 team that blew up at u15 then I concede....I suspect many have and yet, some have experienced sustained success

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2090735]
            No, there is no corrolation of u11 teams winning and that same team at u15 and the fact that some may even think there is shows how little those parents know about soccer development, adolescent growth and development and how competitive youth soccer is organized at older ages.

If those impact players stay together, and add some late bloomers, wouldn't it stand to reason that they will continue to win games? We can agree that winning at that age is over rated but it would be easy to see winning at both age groups. If you've had a kid that was on a winning and developmentally strong u11 team that blew up at u15 then I concede....I suspect many have and yet, some have experienced sustained success
            I'm just using a few large clubs as an example: FC Stars has ECNL, DAP, and NPL and NEP/NEC at U14. At U11, there is just NEP/NEC teams. Similar for NEFC, GPS, FC Boston, etc. Those top teams at U14 are pooled with the best players from multiple regions. It is very rare for a regional team at U11 to have the depth of talent to move up whole into the higher level leagues at the older ages and be able to compete. For the most part, regional teams get weaker as they get older as talent moves up or out of soccer.

Comment

SOL kicked off their pre-season by playing in FCUSA tournament. Beat FCUSA 07 team and lost close games to FCUSA 06 and Scorps 06.

Comment

Top teams

NEFC, GPS, Liverpool and SS Select will be the top 4. Everyone else left the premiership because they took a beating from those teams. Select was in Taunton so not sure how the comp was there.

Comment

Looks like the Premiership is:

NEFC Central Elite Red
                  NEFC West
                  NEFC World Cup
                  NEFC South Shore
                  Select
                  Spirit of Liverpool (Elite)
                  Spirit of Liverpool (Pre-elite)
                  GPS Boston
                  FCUSA
                  Western United Pioneers

Two horse race between Select and NEFC Central, with GPS and SOL Elite hanging in there.

Not sure how many of these teams are doing the NEFC or Stars preseason tournaments?

Comment

SOL kicked off their pre-season by playing in FCUSA tournament. Beat FCUSA 07 team and lost close games to FCUSA 06 and Scorps 06.
                    So in other words, they were SOL in 2 matches...

Comment

NEFC, GPS, Liverpool and SS Select will be the top 4. Everyone else left the premiership because they took a beating from those teams. Select was in Taunton so not sure how the comp was there.
                      Which of those three was the strongest Spring NEP season?

Comment

Looks like the Premiership is:

NEFC Central Elite Red
                        NEFC West
                        NEFC World Cup
                        NEFC South Shore
                        Select
                        Spirit of Liverpool (Elite)
                        Spirit of Liverpool (Pre-elite)
                        GPS Boston
                        FCUSA
                        Western United Pioneers

Two horse race between Select and NEFC Central, with GPS and SOL Elite hanging in there.

Not sure how many of these teams are doing the NEFC or Stars preseason tournaments?
                        NEFC west and WUP going to take a beating bad

Comment

And you enjoy seeing a 9yr old take a beating. You are a sad individual.

Comment

[QUOTE=Select was in Taunton so not sure how the comp was there.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the games were entirely non-competitive. Looking forward to seeing SSS play against the Premiership teams.

Comment

And you enjoy seeing a 9yr old take a beating. You are a sad individual.
                              10 and 11. And no, I don't enjoy watching ANY kid taking a beating. Coaches have unrealistic expectations and the kids are the ones who get the worst of it. NEFC west and WUP 2007 have no business putting those teams in premiership.

Comment

This will be a fun group. If I had to predict the table, top to bottom, I'd go:

Top tier- NEFC Central Elite Red & SSS

Second tier- GPS & SOL (Elite)

Third tier- NEFC South Shore, WUP, SOL (Pre-Elite)

Bottom tier- NEFC West, NEFC World Cup, FCUSA

Surprised FC Boston and Stars don't have a team in this division, while NEFC has four.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X