•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If it is okay with you fine folks I would like to chime in:
    Very valid point the last post. Soccer Here in this great country
    will continue to struggle and will never be TOP and that is because of one small reason
    {Soccer in the USA is played mostly by the middle-class folks which means > school, good grades, socializing with friends, vacations etc. are all part of the middle-class life}

The poor folks are the ones who excel in soccer in a lot of the great soccer player producing countries like Uruguay, Portugal, Brazil, Serbia, Croacia, Argentina etc
    They play hours and hours of soccer all year-round. Kinda how the poorer folks in this country play basketball all day long. All these hours of repetition is what eventually makes them
    Great.

In conclusion, the middle-class majority who play soccer here in the USA don’t put in the same amount of time as those folks so they will never be as good.

Having your son play Soccer in the USA can be very expensive so it’s for the middle-class
    And wait until you realize your son/daughter, that you invested mega $$$$ and time, just lost their scholarship to a foreign player. Don't believe it? Just check out the rosters (they're on the team's website), particularly D2 schools

Comment

And wait until you realize your son/daughter, that you invested mega $$$$ and time, just lost their scholarship to a foreign player. Don't believe it? Just check out the rosters (they're on the team's website), particularly D2 schools
      Once upon a time, there was an average player who spent a lot of time studying and got a very, high ACT score. Thqat got him a 90%, tuition paid, scholarship to an IVY League school.
      To the poster who says the foreign kids practice more, and are probably the better soccer players: This is America not South America. Is he better? Probably. If he does not progress to a higher, playing level, his future? Bleak. One of the best soccer players, over the last ten years to come out of Florida, only had a 50%, all Academic paid, scholarship. Practice, practice, practice? Study, study, study. The sad fact: not a single parent, of an aspiring young athlete, will believe, or bother to remember, any of these comments....until too late. That's all folks.

Comment

Once upon a time, there was an average player who spent a lot of time studying and got a very, high ACT score. Thqat got him a 90%, tuition paid, scholarship to an IVY League school.
        To the poster who says the foreign kids practice more, and are probably the better soccer players: This is America not South America. Is he better? Probably. If he does not progress to a higher, playing level, his future? Bleak. One of the best soccer players, over the last ten years to come out of Florida, only had a 50%, all Academic paid, scholarship. Practice, practice, practice? Study, study, study. The sad fact: not a single parent, of an aspiring young athlete, will believe, or bother to remember, any of these comments....until too late. That's all folks.
        I will never spend more on soccer than I do on college budgeting so far both have been in good programs..

Comment

Sorry ••• I don’t get it. So you have your son join a DA to get the best Div 1 College exposure so that if he’s really good he’s offered a 30% to 50% scholarship to a good school to then play a max of 20 games in a seasonal schedule (3 to 4 months out of the year). That means that if he’s a starter starting from his freshman year (which I doubt, but let’s say he is) and he plays all four years of College soccer he played 80 games in 4 years and is now 22-23 years of age. Do you really think he has a chance to go any further in soccer? The best he can shoot for is a MLS spot making 60thou a year playing left bench because most of the players on the field come from South America, The Carribbean, Africa, Europe, Central America and have been playing 60 games a year & 5-8 hours of soccer a day on the street, on the beach, in bad pitches pretty much since birth
          Let's ask how Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Chris Wondolowski, etc, etc, etc have done financially after going to college and then playing in the MLS.

Comment

which was my point about DA, if it's affecting your kids grades or test scores, it's not worth it. It is hard as hell to get into UF, not to mention Ivy league schools. I'd rather have my kid go to UF and play soccer at a level that provides lots of study time, than DA and community college. From experience .. DA leaves a kid with little time to study, It's ok at younger ages but starting in late middle school you need to make hard choices. That's what being an adult is about.

Comment

Let's ask how Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Chris Wondolowski, etc, etc, etc have done financially after going to college and then playing in the MLS.
              Thank you for bringing to the front 4 players. I'm glad you were able to find exceptions. Now why don't you ask the other thousands that have played in the DA's, who then played in college with big dreams of playing pro soccer and never played pro or made one dollar playing soccer.
              Ask them what they think

Or ask the (1%) of DA players who went on to play college , then at 23 or 24 they sign a MLS contract and now make 60 thou a year ( or whatever the MLS minimum wage is ) and never play one minute because they are the last player on the roster.

Comment

Thank you for bringing to the front 4 players. I'm glad you were able to find exceptions. Now why don't you ask the other thousands that have played in the DA's, who then played in college with big dreams of playing pro soccer and never played pro or made one dollar playing soccer.
                Ask them what they think

Or ask the (1%) of DA players who went on to play college , then at 23 or 24 they sign a MLS contract and now make 60 thou a year ( or whatever the MLS minimum wage is ) and never play one minute because they are the last player on the roster.
                if because of soccer my kid goes to a great school and gets a valuable degree (schools like UNC or UVA w strong programs) and as a young man in his early 20s spends a few years even as a bench warmer on an mls team, that would be a hugely positive result. what is wrong with that? if you're in this to have your kid make millions, do not spend another day in the US of A. get on a plane immediately and head to a soccer country. for the rest of us, what you described would be more than ok.

Comment

That’s exactly right!
                  So then stop calling everyone who doesn’t play
                  in a DA REC. soccer
                  BC at the end your DA son is the same as one who is not DA.
                  99% of all the kids will end up going to school, gettting a degree or just working.

Comment

THE ONLY difference is that there is a higher chance for DA kid to get a scholarship. he is given a second look when the kid at a powerhouse local team only gets one look.

look at Weston, they have six guys at Boston college, damn good education, and a clear pipeline. same with four guys at FIU.

The third best player at Miramar will have to go to some crappy school if he wants a scholarship, when the 6, or 7th guy in Pastoras team will go D1

You gotta play the game if you want ur kid on D1 roster, its the easiest path

Comment

It would appear most players being drafted are coming out of the college ranks. You argue what their citizenship may be but many it seems, do go the college route.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2018/tracker

Comment

Ivies don't give academic based scholarships, only need based. However, their level for need is much more generous than typical financial aid packages. Obviously no athletic $ either. But you knew that right?

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...n-university-1

Comment

It would appear most players being drafted are coming out of the college ranks. You argue what their citizenship may be but many it seems, do go the college route.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2018/tracker
                          A good portion of foreign MLS draftees play a year or two in college then go pro before it's too late. College is where development dies. It's like HS soccer on steroids.

Comment

Ask them what they think

Or the hundreds of thousands of other athletes in football, baseball, boogieball, hockey, tennis, golf, skiing, freakin curling, etc, etc, etc that have never become a top paid pro in the sport that they love. What an idiot. Soccer is a passion and I respect the people that play it for the love of the sport and not the paycheck. Just get off your high horse and bake me a meatloaf. If kids want to play in the DA, more power too them, they are striving to be the best they can be, so what. If your kid is playing tarsa, so be it, so what.

Comment

Or the hundreds of thousands of other athletes in football, baseball, boogieball, hockey, tennis, golf, skiing, freakin curling, etc, etc, etc that have never become a top paid pro in the sport that they love. What an idiot. Soccer is a passion and I respect the people that play it for the love of the sport and not the paycheck. Just get off your high horse and bake me a meatloaf. If kids want to play in the DA, more power too them, they are striving to be the best they can be, so what. If your kid is playing tarsa, so be it, so what.
                              Or ping pong lol very well said sir

Comment

Non DA play - regular Fysa soccer - is ping pong with crazy parents. Sorry not that DA is perfect but it is miles better than fysa. I am not thinking about my kid going pro or even getting a scholarship, just about playing the game the way it should be played. I would rather stay home and watch a movie than head to the mess that is fysa play. It’s not that Da is anything so special or will produce internationally relevant players. But it does have a passing resemblance to fútbol. Fysa is school yard. Can’t believe parents pay for that level of soccer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X