Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What to do when there are a) 20 talented kids and b) only 18 roster spots, is always a challenge for sports clubs.
    Club teams with an over abundance of talent is not something to worry about, no such thing exists.

Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Actually the kid will be still living at the parents house and not visit them at the nursing home, unless they need money of course.
      Millennials will be fine. Given how boomers have utterly pissed away the country's patrimony, I look forward to them taking over.

Comment

Club teams with an over abundance of talent is not something to worry about, no such thing exists.

Thanks for the laugh.
        I'm speaking relatively. Often times, the talent level of players can be grouped into clusters, and the size of said clusters is bigger than the max roster size but not enough for two rosters.

Comment

I'm speaking relatively. Often times, the talent level of players can be grouped into clusters, and the size of said clusters is bigger than the max roster size but not enough for two rosters.
          I’m jumping in....

You need to travel the world and see players per capita 10 times smaller than PDX Metro developing soccer players in droves.

We have enough players. We do not train them correctly.

Comment

I don't know if coaches in Oregon are any worse here than say Seattle. They may appear better just because of the larger talent pool.

I think most club coaches regardless of licence are really not qualified to coach pay to play teams. Parents want there kids to excel in athletics (they love their kids) and get that athletic scholarship, so they will pay for youth sports. Financially the risk reward (current athletic club tuition) against the potential of a partial college scholarship just doesn't make sense. "My soccer player got a 50% ride to U of P, it only cost $40,000 in youth soccer fees (average 5K a year for 8 years) and $120,000 (60K / .50 X 4)" What a deal $160,000. Ugh it just gets worse if you go D3, NAIA etc.

Better they were a high school multi sport student athlete, go to PCC and Portland State and not play sports and you give them $160,000 to get a start in life.
            Good point but doesn’t give them bragging rights right now. also most of the families spending thousands on youth soccer are wealthy to begin with and can afford to pay for soccer and college and give extra help. In those cases, why not?

Comment

Hell ya. This is the world you’ve created.

Besides the fact that no one in their right mind feels that in the 21st century in america you should have to work like a god damn pilgrim to survive.

Your grandad worked harder than your dad and your dad worked harder than you. Hopefully you’ve created a world where your kid doesn’t have to take a 70 hr a week boring ass job to make it while talking **** to younger people saying they have it easy because they are jaded as hell from said job.
              I dont disagree with this notion, but would also like to point out this generation may be first on record to make less then their parents. As long as they are ok with this then ok by me.

Comment

Good point but doesn’t give them bragging rights right now. also most of the families spending thousands on youth soccer are wealthy to begin with and can afford to pay for soccer and college and give extra help. In those cases, why not?
                Yes the rich can and will do what they want. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I dont disagree with this notion, but would also like to point out this generation may be first on record to make less then their parents. As long as they are ok with this then ok by me.
                  And why do you suppose this is?

Is it:

a) Millenials are lazy and uneducated, and unable to qualify (or unwilling to work at) the vast number of highly-paid skilled jobs that are available and waiting to be filled?

or

b) Most of the good jobs that Boomers enjoyed in the postwar years have been outsourced, automated, or seen cuts in effective pay and benefits?

Or some combination of the above?

Comment

One of the biggest issues we have is a combination of coaches with Ego's and parents who want to live through there kids.

How many coaches teach something all week to the kids, but when the game comes, and things get tough they run away from what they taught and regress back to what will work to win that 1 game. Yes you want to play the game to win the game, However, at young ages you have to prioritize teaching the right things, even if it costs you a few games.

Parents who want to live through there kids are quick to jump ship when the results don't come. I've seen parents who have kids with a great coach who is developing the kids, and even there kid develops. However, they have a rough year or rough end of the year result wise, so at U12 they jump to whatever team won state cup. At those young ages its usually less about the coach when it comes to winning state cup, and more about what team has the most athletes and great soccer players. By U14 thats when you start to see good coaching start to overtake good athletes.

On that note, that adds more pressure on coaches of A teams to focus on the results rather than development at times, because they don't want to lose there top players. Its a pretty crappy cycle.

Now that addresses most the top teams and A teams. What i don't understand is why we see those same issues with B teams and lower end teams. That should be even easier to focus on true development and not care about results. In my years I have enjoyed B teams more because parents are more willing to look at how much their child has grown, and the growth curve with a good coach is big. You can lose games without parents freaking out. But for some reason its still a small % of coaches that are willing to focus on that side of it, instead of just putting their best players in Center back and forward and kicking it long to there top player.

Comment

We solved soccer

One of the biggest issues we have is a combination of coaches with Ego's and parents who want to live through there kids.

How many coaches teach something all week to the kids, but when the game comes, and things get tough they run away from what they taught and regress back to what will work to win that 1 game. Yes you want to play the game to win the game, However, at young ages you have to prioritize teaching the right things, even if it costs you a few games.

Parents who want to live through there kids are quick to jump ship when the results don't come. I've seen parents who have kids with a great coach who is developing the kids, and even there kid develops. However, they have a rough year or rough end of the year result wise, so at U12 they jump to whatever team won state cup. At those young ages its usually less about the coach when it comes to winning state cup, and more about what team has the most athletes and great soccer players. By U14 thats when you start to see good coaching start to overtake good athletes.

On that note, that adds more pressure on coaches of A teams to focus on the results rather than development at times, because they don't want to lose there top players. Its a pretty crappy cycle.

Now that addresses most the top teams and A teams. What i don't understand is why we see those same issues with B teams and lower end teams. That should be even easier to focus on true development and not care about results. In my years I have enjoyed B teams more because parents are more willing to look at how much their child has grown, and the growth curve with a good coach is big. You can lose games without parents freaking out. But for some reason its still a small % of coaches that are willing to focus on that side of it, instead of just putting their best players in Center back and forward and kicking it long to there top player.
                      The ego is why people jump teams, rich people. They expect results winning is something they can measure. Develop, who care? Win one state cup at U17 and every state cup up to U17.

And I agree, soccer isn't free in America. Rich people, people who don't buy something and spend there money on soccer, or people who rack up debt to do it, who should decide for them. Soccer is a trans actual business

Comment

And why do you suppose this is?

Is it:

a) Millenials are lazy and uneducated, and unable to qualify (or unwilling to work at) the vast number of highly-paid skilled jobs that are available and waiting to be filled?

or

b) Most of the good jobs that Boomers enjoyed in the postwar years have been outsourced, automated, or seen cuts in effective pay and benefits?

Or some combination of the above?
                        My assumption is the new generation thinks working a 60+ hour week is silly and they would rather have more time then money.

Comment

I have two daughters. My kids have played at Clackamas United, Eastside Timbers, FCP, THUSC and CU. We have always put coaching for the specific child and development over Club. ( we chose the coaches we believed fit best for our kids ) We have had a great experience and couldnt be happier with the level of coaching we recieved in Oregon. ODP when our kids played was a phenom experience also. Go Oregon and PDX coaches and trainers!!!!

Comment

I’m jumping in....

You need to travel the world and see players per capita 10 times smaller than PDX Metro developing soccer players in droves.

We have enough players. We do not train them correctly.
                            The blame here falls entirely on the players. The coaching is more than good enough. Players don't spend nearly enough time playing recreationally, training weaknesses on their own, or studying the game to expect to achieve what other countries are achieving. Our top club kids play 8 hours/week while theirs play 20-25hrs/wk. This happens for years as the kids grow up. The result is a massive training difference by the time they're ready to compete internationally.

The best coach on earth couldn't take players with that large a training disadvantage and do much better than we're doing already. It's a fundamental commitment problem, not a magic bullet training program problem. Kids don't inherently know this so it's up to the parents to provide the guidance on what it takes.

Comment

I have two daughters. My kids have played at Clackamas United, Eastside Timbers, FCP, THUSC and CU. We have always put coaching for the specific child and development over Club. ( we chose the coaches we believed fit best for our kids ) We have had a great experience and couldnt be happier with the level of coaching we recieved in Oregon. ODP when our kids played was a phenom experience also. Go Oregon and PDX coaches and trainers!!!!
                              Anyone who has hopped from club to club like that usually has issues.

Comment

Anyone who has hopped from club to club like that usually has issues.
                                Huge issues man. :))) Crazy difficult!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X