Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Good stuff Alex. Big game tonight for SJP at BC High. Catholic conf. title on the line and SJP has to keep pace with Linc-Sud for a top-four seed in the north which could bring two potential home playoff games.
    This isn't the year for SJP. They have one kid who was expected to be their main goal scorer...he's very good...but he's been out for a lot of the season. They will struggle without him. I understand that it's a team sport (the rest of the team is strong) but you need a goal scorer. They've had three ties and their two losses were 3-2 and 4-3...that kid probably would've made a difference...not sure when he will be back on the field.

Comment

This isn't the year for SJP. They have one kid who was expected to be their main goal scorer...he's very good...but he's been out for a lot of the season. They will struggle without him. I understand that it's a team sport (the rest of the team is strong) but you need a goal scorer. They've had three ties and their two losses were 3-2 and 4-3...that kid probably would've made a difference...not sure when he will be back on the field.
      I agree and know the player you're referring to. Heard he played some against Everett the other night. That's why they really need home field for the first few playoff games. Better odds of winning a tight game at home if you can't score. I'm not counting them out yet. Brookline has shown in year's past your don't have to light up the scoreboard to go deep in the playoffs.

Comment

I agree and know the player you're referring to. Heard he played some against Everett the other night. That's why they really need home field for the first few playoff games. Better odds of winning a tight game at home if you can't score. I'm not counting them out yet. Brookline has shown in year's past your don't have to light up the scoreboard to go deep in the playoffs.
        Is this player a senior? A shame to be missing out on a big chunk of your final season, if so.

Comment

Is this player a senior? A shame to be missing out on a big chunk of your final season, if so.
          Yes. A 3-year varsity starter.

Comment

Yes. A 3-year varsity starter.
            Everyone gets hurt in high school soccer, some worse than others. It's a blood sport.

Comment

Everyone gets hurt in high school soccer, some worse than others. It's a blood sport.
              Agreed that 'everyone gets hurt'...but last years SJP team didn't have any significant injuries through the season. This kid is a difference maker...and the depth behind him is weak so the team definitely isn't as strong without him.

He's a senior so this must be rough for him not to play and for college coaches to get a look at him. Someone said he played a little against Everett (two days ago)...so maybe he will be on the field tonight.

Comment

Good stuff Alex. Big game tonight for SJP at BC High. Catholic conf. title on the line and SJP has to keep pace with Linc-Sud for a top-four seed in the north which could bring two potential home playoff games.
                BCH 2 - SJP 2. BC High carried most of the play but couldn't convert some opportunities while SJP converted their limited chances.

Comment

Agreed that 'everyone gets hurt'...but last years SJP team didn't have any significant injuries through the season. This kid is a difference maker...and the depth behind him is weak so the team definitely isn't as strong without him.

He's a senior so this must be rough for him not to play and for college coaches to get a look at him. Someone said he played a little against Everett (two days ago)...so maybe he will be on the field tonight.
                  College coaches don’t look at HS soccer.

Comment

College coaches don’t look at HS soccer.
                    That may be true, but it is funny because nothing I’ve seen resembles high school soccer more than...college soccer! Seriously, both are hit and run with coaches who are afraid to lose. If I was a college coach I’d scout HS heavy to see how the cultured club players can translate their games to the smash and grab game.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFilides View Post
                      Contenders

D-1N. Lexington, Lincoln-Sudbury, Newton N, Somerville, St. John's Prep
                      D-1S. Needham, Silver Lake, Wellesley(dark horse)
                      D-2N North Andover, Concord-Carlisle, Masconomet, Arlington
                      D-2S Nauset.

D-1N Final. Lexington over Newton North
                      D-1S Final. Needham over Silver Lake
                      D-2N Final. Concord-Carlisle over North Andover
                      D-2S Final. Nauset over somebody not nearly as good. :D
                      D-3N Final Wayland over Bedford
                      D-3S Final Norwell over Medway
                      D-4N Final St Mary's over Burke.
                      D-4S Final Cohasset over Nantucket

D-1 EMass Final Lexington over Needham
                      D-2 EMass Final Concord-Carlisle over Nauset
                      D-3 EMass Final Wayland over Norwell
                      D-4 EMass Final St. Mary's over Cohasset
                      Why wouldn’t Brookline contend in D1 north?

Comment

Why wouldn’t Brookline contend in D1 north?
                        Wellesley won convincingly against Brookline in their last game.

I don't think Brookline can play that well consistently enough to be a contender.

Brookline hasn't fared well in 3 of their last 4 games, not a good sign.

With their low scoring games, they also have to rely on some luck.

They are one step behind the teams that I had mentioned as contenders in D-1 North.
                        Last edited by AlexFilides; 10-18-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't count out Brookline. Last year they were the 14th seed in D1 North with a 7-5-6 record and beat a very good Somerville team 3-0 in the semi's and then gave SJP all they could handle in the D1 North final losing late 1-0. Brookline and Lexington seem like programs that can come into the playoffs with so-so records and peak at the right time.

Comment

I wouldn't count out Brookline. Last year they were the 14th seed in D1 North with a 7-5-6 record and beat a very good Somerville team 3-0 in the semi's and then gave SJP all they could handle in the D1 North final losing late 1-0. Brookline and Lexington seem like programs that can come into the playoffs with so-so records and peak at the right time.
                            Certainly not counting them out, but as of now, they aren't playing very well as they were in the first half of the season.

Comment

Oliver Ames VS Mansfield

Big game in the Hock tomorrow, I see D2 Oliver Ames 2 over D1 Mansfield 0. As usual Hornets get stung in the big game. Tigers getting ready for a push in playoffs.

Comment

Couple early game results from the baystate league

Weymouth 1
                                Newton North 1 (tied the game with 5 minutes left)

Needham 6
                                Framingham 0

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X