X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNC Fraud

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc...html?hpt=hp_t1

This happens at other places besides UNC. We are talking big bucks for these programs.

My son was being recruited to play soccer at Syracuse several years ago. The coach was touting their student athletes.

" if the basketball team is playing at Georgetown and the students are away from campus for three days, we have academic advisors for them. The team will earn over $500k for the university if it is a televised event. When they return to campus they have access to the resource center and free tutors. It is tough to make it into the school but it is even tougher for student athletes to flunk out."

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This happens at other places besides UNC. We are talking big bucks for these programs.

My son was being recruited to play soccer at Syracuse several years ago. The coach was touting their student athletes.

" if the basketball team is playing at Georgetown and the students are away from campus for three days, we have academic advisors for them. The team will earn over $500k for the university if it is a televised event. When they return to campus they have access to the resource center and free tutors. It is tough to make it into the school but it is even tougher for student athletes to flunk out."
      It is pretty mind blowing that they were getting away with it for so long with so many students. I'm sure most were football/basketball. They do bring in serious change to the school and I think generally have more academically challenged athletes than some other sports.

But as a parent, if a coach were flaunting that with my kid we'd run away as fast as possible.

Comment

This is a suprise? Watch the interviews after any games and some of them cant even form sentences. I am appalled everytime I see an interview and I cant even understand the language they are speaking. This is not a race issue it is more of a geographical issue. Poverty is in the inner cities and the educational system is what it is there. When a kid is an athlete and bring attention to the school the do what they have to do. Patrick Ewing is a prime example. Graduated Georgetown in 4 years went to the NBA. While there he admitted he was illiterate! When tested he had a 4th grade mind. Yes Georgetown education and passed who couldnt read or write.

Comment

This is a suprise? Watch the interviews after any games and some of them cant even form sentences. I am appalled everytime I see an interview and I cant even understand the language they are speaking. This is not a race issue it is more of a geographical issue. Poverty is in the inner cities and the educational system is what it is there. When a kid is an athlete and bring attention to the school the do what they have to do. Patrick Ewing is a prime example. Graduated Georgetown in 4 years went to the NBA. While there he admitted he was illiterate! When tested he had a 4th grade mind. Yes Georgetown education and passed who couldnt read or write.
          Sure we all know it is going on. Schools will certainly protect their real superstars like Ewing et al. Stars that bring the championships, TV broadcasts, sell jerseys and fill the stands. But the breadth of the UNC scandal is still amazing. It had to involve way more than 350 pound dumb-as-dirt linebackers.

Comment

Wow. "4th grade mind"? Have you seen Ewing interviewed over the last 25 years? Georgetown must have done something for him as he is quite articulate and he's never been in any trouble that I've heard of. And he's a lead assistant in the NBA and probably will get a shot at a head coaching job at some point, and already could have have been a D1 college coach if he wished. Very curious choice for an example. Telling.

Comment

Wow. "4th grade mind"? Have you seen Ewing interviewed over the last 25 years? Georgetown must have done something for him as he is quite articulate and he's never been in any trouble that I've heard of. And he's a lead assistant in the NBA and probably will get a shot at a head coaching job at some point, and already could have have been a D1 college coach if he wished. Very curious choice for an example. Telling.
              Great opportunity for these kids - why not if the public - you - are willing to pay for it. Why the hell not??? win win situation

Comment

Loved him in HS seen him in college and then after in the NBA. Read his book. He tells all about it in the autobiography. I am a huge fan and still think his story is amazing. Read what I wrote not into it. Georgetown is a fine institution and hard to get into. That is the story. He was let in because of his basketball ability. He worked hard to get to where he is and tells the story in his book. He went and hired people to teach him the right way. Cambridge Ridge and Latin pushed him through as well as Georgetown. The UNC story will be about the basketball team and football team. It is being discussed everywhere.

Comment

Ewing didnt come to the US until Middle School. Guessing he had some catching up to do. No way he goes to Gtown without hoops but he is far from a moron. People do continue to learn. The 1000's of interviews and other tv work has taught him how to communicate very well. When he enrolled at Georgetown, he was only in the US for about 6 years.

Comment

Your experience is how it should be, not creating a paper class and handing out A's

Comment

Your experience is how it should be, not creating a paper class and handing out A's
                      Exactly. Most big programs have academic support for athletes, especially tutors and online help on the road. That's quite different from making things up for literally thousands of athletes like UNC did. Now if the tutors are writing papers for athletes or some such thing that's a different story. There have been other schools caught in things like that, but the UNC thing goes way beyond a few examples.

Comment

Please, at least try to use apostrophes for contractions and spell check (surprise) while you are criticizing others' spoken words. This drives me crazy!

Comment

This is part of the puzzle that our dear D3 brethren just simply don't understand. The education part of D1 sports has always been pretty much of a farce. 99% of it is just lip service that the colleges put out for benefit of the media, courts, and congress. The reason the Ewing is where he is at today is very simple. John Thompson. Even though Thompson has a personal rep for being somewhat of a dink the one huge thing he did do was do right by the kids he recruited. He would make a promise to the mothers that their kids would get an education and lived up to his word. He personally oversaw that the kids went to school and got educated. Ewing is a prime example of the good that can come out of the system when you align yourself with the right people. You don't know how unique that is in all of sports never mind college sports. Just look at our club coaches. How many of them are really in it for the kids? When you get to the D1 college there is a whole heck of a lot more that is going on than "rah rah sis boom bah". The money and influence peddling would blow a lot of your minds.

Every D1 college has a similar "dummy" track for their athletes. They may not all be fabricating grades but they are all following the same playbook. They all dump the bulk of their athletes into the easiest possible courses and most of them end up with virtually worthless degrees. You either have to have a kid that is incredibly motivated to swim against that tide or you need to find the unique coaches who actually see their players as humans rather than chess pieces in their career.

Comment

This is part of the puzzle that our dear D3 brethren just simply don't understand. The education part of D1 sports has always been pretty much of a farce. 99% of it is just lip service that the colleges put out for benefit of the media, courts, and congress. The reason the Ewing is where he is at today is very simple. John Thompson. Even though Thompson has a personal rep for being somewhat of a dink the one huge thing he did do was do right by the kids he recruited. He would make a promise to the mothers that their kids would get an education and lived up to his word. He personally oversaw that the kids went to school and got educated. Ewing is a prime example of the good that can come out of the system when you align yourself with the right people. You don't know how unique that is in all of sports never mind college sports. Just look at our club coaches. How many of them are really in it for the kids? When you get to the D1 college there is a whole heck of a lot more that is going on than "rah rah sis boom bah". The money and influence peddling would blow a lot of your minds.

Every D1 college has a similar "dummy" track for their athletes. They may not all be fabricating grades but they are all following the same playbook. They all dump the bulk of their athletes into the easiest possible courses and most of them end up with virtually worthless degrees. You either have to have a kid that is incredibly motivated to swim against that tide or you need to find the unique coaches who actually see their players as humans rather than chess pieces in their career.
                            The guru speaks.

Comment

The UNC story will be about the basketball team and football team. It is being discussed everywhere.
                              Not true. Certainly basketball and football programs were a significant part of this, but published reports indicate that this conduct included multiple other sports, including women's and men's soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X