X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All of a sudden we want to be positive.

The site spends countless hours ripping youth teams and players but when we get to a paid professional is the public eye you want biased positivity?!?

All she has done at Albany is proven that she isn't ready for this job. What other sport does a coach go from a losing record (with 1 winning year, no conference titles) in a third tier conference, to a job in the best conference is the sport?

You can be happy for her, but be objective, this is a seriously bad hire for Miami.
    Who would you have hired?

Comment

and he was messing around with his players.

Comment

Who would you have hired?
        Robin Confer would have been a better choice. No HC experience, but more experience in a big time conference. I'd rather have an assistant coach in the SEC than a head coach from the AE.

Comment

All of a sudden we want to be positive.

The site spends countless hours ripping youth teams and players but when we get to a paid professional is the public eye you want biased positivity?!?

All she has done at Albany is proven that she isn't ready for this job. What other sport does a coach go from a losing record (with 1 winning year, no conference titles) in a third tier conference, to a job in the best conference is the sport?

You can be happy for her, but be objective, this is a seriously bad hire for Miami.
          No I want positivity for all, not just MFM, and have stated so on many threads over the years hoping for some change in the negativity. You have your opinion, but obviously the University of Miami has a different one. A coach is only as good as their players and most top players are not flocking to be recruited to U of Albany, however Miami has much more to attract recruits, so let's see how she fares. It will be an uphill climb and won't happen overnight, but good luck to her. And yes let's keep it positive and civil.

Comment

No I want positivity for all, not just MFM, and have stated so on many threads over the years hoping for some change in the negativity. You have your opinion, but obviously the University of Miami has a different one. A coach is only as good as their players and most top players are not flocking to be recruited to U of Albany, however Miami has much more to attract recruits, so let's see how she fares. It will be an uphill climb and won't happen overnight, but good luck to her. And yes let's keep it positive and civil.
            Albany has one of the successful varsity athletic programs in the America East. The programs have good support, decent facilities and low tuition. Nobody expects Albany to win tournament games, but when you measure the soccer program against their other sports you have to scratch your head.

I would actually say the recruiting job will be more difficult at Miami. Sure, there will be better players available, but there you are playing in the ACC, so better isn't going to cut it to get out of ACC cellar.

Comment

"Monroe guided the UAlbany program to its most successful season at the Division I level last fall, going 9-10-1 overall and advancing to the America East Conference Championship for the first time. The Great Danes won seven straight games going into the league championship.

In 2010, Monroe guided the Great Danes to the America East Conference semifinals. UAlbany finished with a 10-8-2 record last season, the program's highest victory total and first winning season since 1988.

In 2009, Monroe and her assistants were named the America East Conference Co-Coaching Staff of the Year after piloting the program to its winningest campaign in 21 seasons. The Great Danes, who were recognized by Somis Sports as the ninth-most improved team in the nation, earned their first Division I postseason berth and finished with a record of 8-10-1."

I don't understand why anyone is so sure she won't be successful at Miami when she had the ability to get this done at Albany. Yes it's a different level but she has grown as a coach and helped Albany Women's Soccer to do so as well.

As to the poster who seems to think she is failing at a school where the other sports are all so successful, men's soccer last year at Albany was 6-11-1.

Someone's little Mia did not like MF, is it that simple?

Comment

"Monroe guided the UAlbany program to its most successful season at the Division I level last fall, going 9-10-1 overall and advancing to the America East Conference Championship for the first time. The Great Danes won seven straight games going into the league championship.

In 2010, Monroe guided the Great Danes to the America East Conference semifinals. UAlbany finished with a 10-8-2 record last season, the program's highest victory total and first winning season since 1988.

In 2009, Monroe and her assistants were named the America East Conference Co-Coaching Staff of the Year after piloting the program to its winningest campaign in 21 seasons. The Great Danes, who were recognized by Somis Sports as the ninth-most improved team in the nation, earned their first Division I postseason berth and finished with a record of 8-10-1."

I don't understand why anyone is so sure she won't be successful at Miami when she had the ability to get this done at Albany. Yes it's a different level but she has grown as a coach and helped Albany Women's Soccer to do so as well.

As to the poster who seems to think she is failing at a school where the other sports are all so successful, men's soccer last year at Albany was 6-11-1.

Someone's little Mia did not like MF, is it that simple?
                No, I'm actually a U Albany alum and I follow their sports programs.

The AD supports the programs and despite the SID spin you quoted, they should be doing better. U Albany won either the conference title or the AE tournament title in at least 9 sports this past season. Their women's soccer program has been an embarrassment. The men's program has seen hard times recently but had a 12 win season as recently as 2008.

Of course MF improved the program - it was an absolute disaster from the time the school moved up from d3 to d2 to d1. Somewhere in the fist half of the 2000's, the school started pushing money towards it's athletics programs, improving facilities and coaching. She was better than they had before, but in the end she was an above average AE coach.

I'm not alone, the consensus among blogs that follow d1 soccer is that she hasn't proven herself sufficiently to merit an ACC gig. She was a great player, and a decent AE coach and maybe she will suddenly blossom into a great ACC coach but if she does she will have to show a lot more than she has shown in her coaching career thus far.

Comment

The AD supports the programs and despite the SID spin you quoted, they should be doing better. U Albany won either the conference title or the AE tournament title in at least 9 sports this past season. Their women's soccer program has been an embarrassment. The men's program has seen hard times recently but had a 12 win season as recently as 2008.

Of course MF improved the program - it was an absolute disaster from the time the school moved up from d3 to d2 to d1. Somewhere in the fist half of the 2000's, the school started pushing money towards it's athletics programs, improving facilities and coaching. She was better than they had before, but in the end she was an above average AE coach.

I'm not alone, the consensus among blogs that follow d1 soccer is that she hasn't proven herself sufficiently to merit an ACC gig. She was a great player, and a decent AE coach and maybe she will suddenly blossom into a great ACC coach but if she does she will have to show a lot more than she has shown in her coaching career thus far.
                  What are you hearing about a replacement?

Comment

What are you hearing about a replacement?
                    I'm hearing nothing yet. It's not a really good time of year to be looking for a coach.

If forced to guess I would say that KD will be name head coach on an interim basis and she get a trial run for the season. They'll launch a full search after the season and if she performs well she'll get the job (unless some impossible to refuse candidate appears).

That being said, since it wasn't exactly a well kept secret that MF was looking for a new gig, perhaps the AD has something lined up (I suppose that is could have been part of the KD hire in the first place).

I can think of at least a few recent coaches at UA that have been promoted from assistants (including MF) so perhaps that was what they had in mind when they brought in KD.

Comment

I'm hearing nothing yet. It's not a really good time of year to be looking for a coach.

If forced to guess I would say that KD will be name head coach on an interim basis and she get a trial run for the season. They'll launch a full search after the season and if she performs well she'll get the job (unless some impossible to refuse candidate appears).

That being said, since it wasn't exactly a well kept secret that MF was looking for a new gig, perhaps the AD has something lined up (I suppose that is could have been part of the KD hire in the first place).

I can think of at least a few recent coaches at UA that have been promoted from assistants (including MF) so perhaps that was what they had in mind when they brought in KD.
                      I went back and looked at how many current UAlbany HC's were previously assistants or associate HC's there and it's even more than I thought. I'm feeling more certain that KD will be promoted to interim HC to replace MF.

Comment

I went back and looked at how many current UAlbany HC's were previously assistants or associate HC's there and it's even more than I thought. I'm feeling more certain that KD will be promoted to interim HC to replace MF.
                        why would you use initials when talking about coaches? I've never understood the use for adult college players either - but for the coaches its ridiculous. These are professional adults, stop with the cute inside crap and use their names - every other forum does.

Comment

why would you use initials when talking about coaches? I've never understood the use for adult college players either - but for the coaches its ridiculous. These are professional adults, stop with the cute inside crap and use their names - every other forum does.
                          Here, here!

Comment

Kate Dylag , present assistant. Feel better now ?

Comment

Kate has been named assistant at UM for Monroe...

Comment

Now can we call the hire a mistake? Or should we wait a few more years?

Miami is set to guaranteed to have its lowest win total over the last ten years. Next year's recruits are marginal at best.

This is a mess that will take years to clean up. At least is gets BC a free win every couple of years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X