Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    First: OPL definitely has the highest level of competition. OYSA's continued attempts to be the organization of record is just noise. It would be best for them to coordinate with OPL.

Second: I think it's too early to tell if the Timbers triad will draw the best players. Some players have moved, but mostly I've seen players move towards the clubs that were successful last year and this is the same as in the past.

Third: Again too early to tell if ODP will improve. We have four players on our club team that were on ODP last year, two that were selected to regional team. They're not the best players on our team and don't seem to know how to play the game like I would expect out of ODP. So we'll see what happens this year. The only other comments I've heard is that ODP is more expensive than last year.

Fourth: Don't know about the U16/U18 teams.

Last: Haven't seen any change to Portland soccer with the Timbers involvement in Youth soccer except that the three Timbers teams are kind of a joke now with all having the same names and same uniforms.
    I agree with the last part....that all the Timbers teams have the same uniforms and the same team names. There is no separate identity to the teams. Uniforms fine, but let the teams pick their own names...let them have their own identity!

Comment

I agree with the last part....that all the Timbers teams have the same uniforms and the same team names. There is no separate identity to the teams. Uniforms fine, but let the teams pick their own names...let them have their own identity!
      There was some early talk about the Alliance Clubs having the same kit but different colors.
      I kinda like this idea. Probably too late to implement now that everyone has purchased their kits. Guess they could phase this in but would add to the "confusion" for awhile.
      For you Star Trek fans it's like the Borg. You will be assimilated! LOL

Comment

As a timbers alliance parent we, most of the parents on our team, enjoy the same team name and uniforms. Makes you feel like you're a part of something bigger. We enjoy going to a tournament and looking across all the fields and always seeing a Timbers team playing. Our daughter is excited to be a part of the club. It's more about pride in club then team. I like this idea.

I'm excited to see what will happen in the future, if the club will actually implement many of the things they've said are coming

Comment

Addressing ODP/Timbers on the girls side only. ODP is a shell of what it use to be. ECNL has stripped ODP of talent across the nation. The region IV power house teams (S. Cal, Nor Cal, Washington, etc.) have no reason to come to Oregon to play and no longer do. Just look at what's happened to the Nike Cup. ODP/Timbers have done nothing to counter this. For the top players in the state of Oregon, ODP has little to offer them and ODP in Oregon will spiral further downward. This puts Oregon girls at a disadvantage- few college coaches will recurit from ODP when the top players are not there. Oregon girls no longer have the opportunity to compete with the best out there and their game will suffer.

A couple of things in Oregon, there are way too many clubs, which causes dillution of talent. Consolidation is needed, but that is slow to happen for a variety of reasons, but mostly has to do with money. An elite level (ECNL) option is needed in Oregon, but dillution of talent in so many clubs has proven to make ECNL a challenge in this state.

Expect to see fewer notable players emerging out of this state.

Comment

Addressing ODP/Timbers on the girls side only. ODP is a shell of what it use to be. ECNL has stripped ODP of talent across the nation. The region IV power house teams (S. Cal, Nor Cal, Washington, etc.) have no reason to come to Oregon to play and no longer do. Just look at what's happened to the Nike Cup. ODP/Timbers have done nothing to counter this. For the top players in the state of Oregon, ODP has little to offer them and ODP in Oregon will spiral further downward. This puts Oregon girls at a disadvantage- few college coaches will recurit from ODP when the top players are not there. Oregon girls no longer have the opportunity to compete with the best out there and their game will suffer.

A couple of things in Oregon, there are way too many clubs, which causes dillution of talent. Consolidation is needed, but that is slow to happen for a variety of reasons, but mostly has to do with money. An elite level (ECNL) option is needed in Oregon, but dillution of talent in so many clubs has proven to make ECNL a challenge in this state.

Expect to see fewer notable players emerging out of this state.
            OSSA and Timbers alliance is the start of the consolidate. Looks like things are slowly moving this direction.

Comment

THUSC only grew at u11, they picked up an entire team worth of boys that were cut from WT and they finally had a very solid group that was developed at u10. No major surge of players.
              Completely untrue statement. WST was the one trying to steal players from THUSC at this age group. When one of the THUSC coaches was not allowed to coach his own child he left and went to WST. He tried to being the entire team. Some went but most stayed. In fact some that went actually came back.

The boys program has doubled since last year despite what you are trying to say. THUSC boys grew in all ages but U12.They have 2 U10 teams, 2 U11 teams, 2 U13 teams and 2 U14 teams. Not sure what HS looks like yet.

Comment

OSSA and Timbers alliance is the start of the consolidate. Looks like things are slowly moving this direction.
                How is the Timbers Alliance helping anything? They are still 3 seperate clubs competing. I do believe VT, ET, and WST held seperate tryouts this year so no true alliance and no consolidation of talent.

Comment

How is the Timbers Alliance helping anything? They are still 3 seperate clubs competing. I do believe VT, ET, and WST held seperate tryouts this year so no true alliance and no consolidation of talent.
                  It's only an alliance for marketing purposes. No one from Gresham will travel to Vancouver or Beaverton if they can play for a "Timbers" club at home and vice versa for the other locales. If parents/players get suckered in on the Westside marketing, that's their problem...at least the other markets don't have as much competition.

Comment

Reality: MLS is the lowest form of big venue soccer on the planet. Timbers are one of the lowest performing teams in MLS. So why the heck would anyone scramble to put their kids in a program that represents the lowest of the low? The truth is, the Timbers really don't know what they are doing at any level and parents should not buy into a program just becuase they are "professional."

ODP is in serious trouble across the nation, the Timber's alliance is an attempt to salvage it in Oregon, but it does not represent any improvment in youth developement, and I'd go futher and say, it is a detriment at the higher levels (U-16 and above) of soccer. There are better options out there, but in Oregon, the kids are really behind the eight ball. What is happenning in Oregon is not in the best interest of the player development.

Comment

Reality: MLS is the lowest form of big venue soccer on the planet. Timbers are one of the lowest performing teams in MLS. So why the heck would anyone scramble to put their kids in a program that represents the lowest of the low? The truth is, the Timbers really don't know what they are doing at any level and parents should not buy into a program just becuase they are "professional."

ODP is in serious trouble across the nation, the Timber's alliance is an attempt to salvage it in Oregon, but it does not represent any improvment in youth developement, and I'd go futher and say, it is a detriment at the higher levels (U-16 and above) of soccer. There are better options out there, but in Oregon, the kids are really behind the eight ball. What is happenning in Oregon is not in the best interest of the player development.
                      I don't understand how you have come to the conclusion that being associated with the Timbers at the U16 and above is a detriment to Oregon kids, especially the boys. The boys now have an academy team to play for that will give them every look they could possibly imagine for Pro and/or college. What better options are you talking about.

And how are Oregon kids behind the 8 ball compared to other states. Even in ODP, Oregon's contribution to the Region IV pool has grown almost every year for the last 9 years, and the recent year, 2012 was an all time record. See graph in link attached, 2012 is not posted yet and it will spike up.

http://www.oregonyouthsoccer.org/ass..._ODP_Chart.pdf

Comment

I don't understand how you have come to the conclusion that being associated with the Timbers at the U16 and above is a detriment to Oregon kids, especially the boys. The boys now have an academy team to play for that will give them every look they could possibly imagine for Pro and/or college. What better options are you talking about.

And how are Oregon kids behind the 8 ball compared to other states. Even in ODP, Oregon's contribution to the Region IV pool has grown almost every year for the last 9 years, and the recent year, 2012 was an all time record. See graph in link attached, 2012 is not posted yet and it will spike up.

http://www.oregonyouthsoccer.org/ass..._ODP_Chart.pdf
                        What is being said is that the bigger states are not placing players in ODP so thus Oregon has a greater chance to put more players in the regional pool. The bigger states have other options so are directing their better players elsewhere than ODP.

Comment

THUSC only grew at u11, they picked up an entire team worth of boys that were cut from WT and they finally had a very solid group that was developed at u10. No major surge of players.
                          Wow... Completely wrong. The current group u11 boys are the result of the new Red Star program at THUSC.

WST actually attempted to recruit many of the away. 4 or 5 ended up going to WST.

Comment

What is being said is that the bigger states are not placing players in ODP so thus Oregon has a greater chance to put more players in the regional pool. The bigger states have other options so are directing their better players elsewhere than ODP.
                            Where are these bigger states putting boys that are better options than ODP and Timbers Academy at the older ages? California doesn't need ODP because they have a direct pipeline from their Academy clubs into the US Region 4 team and the National team. But excluding California, what are these better options? All the other US Region 4 clubs are using ODP as far as I can tell. I'm talking boys.

Comment

The other region iv states that matter (California, Washington, Arizona, Colorado even Utah) are simply not doing ODP at the same level of participation. It's club/academy focused. ODP is yesterday's news.

Comment

The other region iv states that matter (California, Washington, Arizona, Colorado even Utah) are simply not doing ODP at the same level of participation. It's club/academy focused. ODP is yesterday's news.
                                Unfortunately for Oregon, we dont have anything better on the girls side.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X