Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this Larry gem from April 25:

"Great coaches and trainers do not grow on trees, and based on my own observations there only handful locally."

So far only locals have signed up. How is their track record?

"So, that means that Surf is looking elsewhere."

It's been two months. If NY Surf is as hot as they are claiming, where are they?

"One of the problems, or maybe the main problem is the cost of living in our area. Westchester, NYC, Long Island, Northern NJ, and Southern CT is a lot more expensive than Maryland, PA, DE, NC, MO, Il, Ohio, etc..."

No, the problem is this is an affiliate based on the name from the West Coast and that's it. This area is rife with wealthy parental sheep who are so thirsty for their Mia to be developed into "Mia" that they'll suck down the sand not knowing it's not water.

Surf is a money maker riding the coat tails of the West Coast version. Nothing more.

Comment

Baaaaa. 01/02 parents paying for their kids to go to SD Surf Cup at the end of the month. A team who may have 1 month of training at best and no games under their belt.

IMO this is a huge waste of $$

Comment

Finally found the post

This is from NY Surf on May 3:

"New York Surf is taking our time to secure elite, national-level quality coaches. We are not interested in "recycling" the usual local names as most other clubs have done over the years. The coaches that we are going to bring in will make us stand apart from the crowd because of their pedigree and professionalism. We are in negotiations with numerous coaches, many of whom will relocate to New York from other parts of the country. We will be bringing in coaches who have been hugely successful in other parts of the country and who are nationally recognized.

Surf didn't come to New York to 'just be another club' - we are different."

Anyone aware of these non NY, transplanted coaches?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          This is from NY Surf on May 3:

"New York Surf is taking our time to secure elite, national-level quality coaches. We are not interested in "recycling" the usual local names as most other clubs have done over the years. The coaches that we are going to bring in will make us stand apart from the crowd because of their pedigree and professionalism. We are in negotiations with numerous coaches, many of whom will relocate to New York from other parts of the country. We will be bringing in coaches who have been hugely successful in other parts of the country and who are nationally recognized.

Surf didn't come to New York to 'just be another club' - we are different."

Anyone aware of these non NY, transplanted coaches?
          Lol. Soccer clubs can't afford to pay for relocation. Besides the NY area doesn't appeal to everyone. Over time they'll attract local coaching talent, as long they seem to be building themselves into this supposed powerhouse Larry claims they will be

Comment

I would not drop 3K for a west coast tournament with a infant new soccer team unless my kid wanted to go to college on the West Coast and had already contacted the coaches of the schools she's interested in.

Comment

Chump change for girls playing higher level soccer in Westchester. Are you paying attention to what kids play this sport at clubs like Surf? Not exactly form struggling families.

Comment

Chump change for girls playing higher level soccer in Westchester. Are you paying attention to what kids play this sport at clubs like Surf? Not exactly form struggling families.
                That's certainly true. But with the whole thing going down last minute some people might not even be able to go. Personally I know I'd come up with some kind of "prior family commitment" reason to not go.

Comment

So the "NY Surf" team going is an old Westchester SC team that has done nothing significant since EM last fall.

Looks like an intact team too. 3 unnumbered players. Practice players? Developmental players? Or 3 token players taken from "tryouts?"

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/t...?TeamID=605284

Comment

I just remembered that NCAA college coaches cannot coach players outside a 50 mile radius of their home campus. That could potentialy impact the draw of players who the Adelphi coach can coach.

Comment

I just remembered that NCAA college coaches cannot coach players outside a 50 mile radius of their home campus. That could potentialy impact the draw of players who the Adelphi coach can coach.
                      No one from far away is humping out there with rush hour traffic. Helicopter maybe.

Comment

I'm guessing the big announcement is Sue Ryan, ex-Stony Brook coach.!

Comment

I'm guessing the big announcement is Sue Ryan, ex-Stony Brook coach.!
                          That's Big

Comment

Yeah it has to be her. But she was fired by Stony Brook. Not sure why.

Old bio here: http://m.stonybrookathletics.com/m/s...yan_sue00.html

I bet the hold up is her trying to get out of her recently signed gig with Stony Brook Rush from March. Not exactly cool to ditch a club after 3 months.

Comment

It's her. I posted her name to BOTN but Larry didn't let the post go through.

Knowing Larry and his desire to announce and "splash" big news, it's her but he wants the thunder, praise, and accolades over an anonymous poster.

Comment

Ryan had several players leave the program this past year. Anyone know why?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X