Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Soccer Girls Development Academy or ECNL? (The non ECNL view)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer Girls Development Academy or ECNL? (The non ECNL view)

http://empireunited.soccer/archived-...cademy-or-ecnl

About 10 years ago the US Soccer Federation decided to start a new program on the boys side, the US Development Academy. There were many factors contributing to such a large undertaking, but in a nutshell, the United States youth soccer infrastructure was broken. We had a system that was more focused on competitions and winning versus truly developing players and providing a healthy environment for players to grow. For brevity purposes I will spare you my belief on how we got there, the important part to understand is we were there. Large club’s and tournaments dominated the soccer landscape. Players were playing 40, 50, or more games a season and experiencing training to game ratios far below what anyone would agree is healthy. *Competition and winning ruled, player development was a distant also-ran. *
    Enter the Development Academy. *To develop the program, US Soccer staff traveled the world and used top European and South American professional youth academies as their bench marks to create a US model that put each player’s growth above all else. The boys side of youth soccer now had a top down development platform to model proper club behavior and player development best practices. *I think even US Soccer was surprised by the quick acceptance and early success of the program. For those of us who spent time in youth soccer and were witnesses to the prior madness, it was a refreshing and almost surreal change. After just a couple of years the only question on our minds was what about the girls?
    Shortly thereafter the Elite Club National League (ECNL) sprang up, arguably in response to the vacancy the US Soccer Federation left by not providing the same opportunity on the girls side. The ECNL quickly became ‘the’ place for the top girls clubs in the country to compete. Well intentioned, like many youth soccer entities, it morphed into a giant money-making, competition structure. Simply put, the organization’s self-interest didn’t align with the best interests of the players.
    I’m sure there will be many who would argue this point, but in my opinion the ultimate litmus test occurred recently when US Soccer finally announced the start of the Development Academy on the girls side, slated for the fall of 2017. *The timing of that announcement was incredibly telling. *Less than a year from the US Women winning the World Cup, US Soccer unequivocally stated that player development on the girls side needed a significant overhaul. *The ECNL now had a tough decision to make. They could support the Federation or compete with it. A meeting took place between the two organizations to discuss common ground and collaboration. I was not privy to that meeting, but shortly thereafter the ECNL did NOT announce its support and instead decided to expand the ECNL to the boys side. The message was clear, the lines had been drawn, pick your side.
    This situation perfectly exemplifies why US Soccer needs to be involved in the development of our youth players. It can’t be about the power and money youth soccer entities are capable of generating. *It can’t be about winning games and Got Soccer points. It needs to be about the girls and their growth as soccer players and people. *Like the Boys Development Academy, the Girls Development Academy will have guidelines for the number of starts for each player and the number of trainings per week. *The GDA will only allow only 1 match per day with matches occurring no more than 2 days in a row. *They will set strict coaching license requirements for staff and they will charge nothing for showcase events. *Every club will be observed and evaluated on a regular basis and US Soccer scouts will be in attendance regularly to find the next youth national team players. *This is a development structure designed with the players in mind, (not a competition structure) and it is long overdue. The Development Academy programs on both sides and the new mandates for birth year age groups and small sided games are examples of US Soccer taking their rightful place as our sport’s governing body and taking responsibility for youth soccer in America. I for one am ecstatic.
    Locally the WNY Flash have just been accepted into the ENCL. It will be interesting to see if they decide to move forward with it. A betting man would put his money on US Soccer winning this battle and making the Girls Development Academy the top level of girls soccer in the United States. *US Soccer has already committed the resources to the GDA and they are fully behind the program just like they have been on the boys side for years. *US Soccer is in charge of the scouting mechanism for our girls youth national teams, the US Soccer Technical Director April Heinrichs and the Women’s National Team Coach Jill Ellis are both behind the GDA and were part of its creation. *I am confident the GDA is the right place for our players. *Empire United will be submitting our application for the Girl’s Development Academy in early May. *When you look at our player production history, our coaching, leadership and facilities, we believe we have a compelling case for admission. *We have already established the GSA program and will continue to run that program through 2016/17 so we are well prepared for 2017 in the hope that our goal will be realized to become an inaugural member of the Girls Development Academy. *
    As always, please reach out if you have any questions.
    Tom

And they like Empire so much that they have them and East Meadow misidentified on their location map. Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      http://empireunited.soccer/archived-...cademy-or-ecnl

About 10 years ago the US Soccer Federation decided to start a new program on the boys side, the US Development Academy. There were many factors contributing to such a large undertaking, but in a nutshell, the United States youth soccer infrastructure was broken. We had a system that was more focused on competitions and winning versus truly developing players and providing a healthy environment for players to grow. For brevity purposes I will spare you my belief on how we got there, the important part to understand is we were there. Large club’s and tournaments dominated the soccer landscape. Players were playing 40, 50, or more games a season and experiencing training to game ratios far below what anyone would agree is healthy. *Competition and winning ruled, player development was a distant also-ran. *
      Enter the Development Academy. *To develop the program, US Soccer staff traveled the world and used top European and South American professional youth academies as their bench marks to create a US model that put each player’s growth above all else. The boys side of youth soccer now had a top down development platform to model proper club behavior and player development best practices. *I think even US Soccer was surprised by the quick acceptance and early success of the program. For those of us who spent time in youth soccer and were witnesses to the prior madness, it was a refreshing and almost surreal change. After just a couple of years the only question on our minds was what about the girls?
      Shortly thereafter the Elite Club National League (ECNL) sprang up, arguably in response to the vacancy the US Soccer Federation left by not providing the same opportunity on the girls side. The ECNL quickly became ‘the’ place for the top girls clubs in the country to compete. Well intentioned, like many youth soccer entities, it morphed into a giant money-making, competition structure. Simply put, the organization’s self-interest didn’t align with the best interests of the players.
      I’m sure there will be many who would argue this point, but in my opinion the ultimate litmus test occurred recently when US Soccer finally announced the start of the Development Academy on the girls side, slated for the fall of 2017. *The timing of that announcement was incredibly telling. *Less than a year from the US Women winning the World Cup, US Soccer unequivocally stated that player development on the girls side needed a significant overhaul. *The ECNL now had a tough decision to make. They could support the Federation or compete with it. A meeting took place between the two organizations to discuss common ground and collaboration. I was not privy to that meeting, but shortly thereafter the ECNL did NOT announce its support and instead decided to expand the ECNL to the boys side. The message was clear, the lines had been drawn, pick your side.
      This situation perfectly exemplifies why US Soccer needs to be involved in the development of our youth players. It can’t be about the power and money youth soccer entities are capable of generating. *It can’t be about winning games and Got Soccer points. It needs to be about the girls and their growth as soccer players and people. *Like the Boys Development Academy, the Girls Development Academy will have guidelines for the number of starts for each player and the number of trainings per week. *The GDA will only allow only 1 match per day with matches occurring no more than 2 days in a row. *They will set strict coaching license requirements for staff and they will charge nothing for showcase events. *Every club will be observed and evaluated on a regular basis and US Soccer scouts will be in attendance regularly to find the next youth national team players. *This is a development structure designed with the players in mind, (not a competition structure) and it is long overdue. The Development Academy programs on both sides and the new mandates for birth year age groups and small sided games are examples of US Soccer taking their rightful place as our sport’s governing body and taking responsibility for youth soccer in America. I for one am ecstatic.
      Locally the WNY Flash have just been accepted into the ENCL. It will be interesting to see if they decide to move forward with it. A betting man would put his money on US Soccer winning this battle and making the Girls Development Academy the top level of girls soccer in the United States. *US Soccer has already committed the resources to the GDA and they are fully behind the program just like they have been on the boys side for years. *US Soccer is in charge of the scouting mechanism for our girls youth national teams, the US Soccer Technical Director April Heinrichs and the Women’s National Team Coach Jill Ellis are both behind the GDA and were part of its creation. *I am confident the GDA is the right place for our players. *Empire United will be submitting our application for the Girl’s Development Academy in early May. *When you look at our player production history, our coaching, leadership and facilities, we believe we have a compelling case for admission. *We have already established the GSA program and will continue to run that program through 2016/17 so we are well prepared for 2017 in the hope that our goal will be realized to become an inaugural member of the Girls Development Academy. *
      As always, please reach out if you have any questions.
      Tom
      Written by a club that was not part of ecnl and in no mans land in western ny.

Two interesting quotes
      1 the organizations interest didn't align with the players. I disagree. Players wanted to play in college and ecnl had the best competition structure and competition events. Soccer morphed into a money grab long before ecnl. Ecnl teams were tired of paying big fees to tournaments that you were not guaranteed entry and had to play multiple games in a day that were poorly run and sometimes were cancelled and did not cater to college coaches. Ecnl made got soccer moot. No need for pimping your players for points to get into a tournament.
      2 GDA will charge nothing for showcase events. First off the guy says ecnl is a showcase league. Then says GDA will have showcases, so no difference. I guess his point is GDA won't make you pay to showcase. Ecnl players don't pay directly now. If the argument is the club won't have to pay, then that makes sense for this club owner....more money for him. If the club doesn't need to pay for showcase events, then why is GDA not cheaper because of less tournament fees?

Comment

Written by a club that was not part of ecnl and in no mans land in western ny.

Two interesting quotes
        1 the organizations interest didn't align with the players. I disagree. Players wanted to play in college and ecnl had the best competition structure and competition events. Soccer morphed into a money grab long before ecnl. Ecnl teams were tired of paying big fees to tournaments that you were not guaranteed entry and had to play multiple games in a day that were poorly run and sometimes were cancelled and did not cater to college coaches. Ecnl made got soccer moot. No need for pimping your players for points to get into a tournament.
        2 GDA will charge nothing for showcase events. First off the guy says ecnl is a showcase league. Then says GDA will have showcases, so no difference. I guess his point is GDA won't make you pay to showcase. Ecnl players don't pay directly now. If the argument is the club won't have to pay, then that makes sense for this club owner....more money for him. If the club doesn't need to pay for showcase events, then why is GDA not cheaper because of less tournament fees?
        Does anyone actually know what the fee is to enter a team into one of the ECNL showcases and whether or not the money generated is shared between the other clubs in the league or if the host club gets to keep it? I read somewhere that PDA charges $1,195 a team for their non-ECNL showcase and that last year they accepted 240 teams. That translates into a whole lot of money when you also consider all of the hotel room kick backs that most big tournaments get and other incidental income like the registration fees it charges college coaches. If USSF is not charging the teams entrance fees for their showcases or a registration fees to the college coaches, that represents a material cost difference that at least should be recognized, no?

Comment

Does anyone actually know what the fee is to enter a team into one of the ECNL showcases and whether or not the money generated is shared between the other clubs in the league or if the host club gets to keep it? I read somewhere that PDA charges $1,195 a team for their non-ECNL showcase and that last year they accepted 240 teams. That translates into a whole lot of money when you also consider all of the hotel room kick backs that most big tournaments get and other incidental income like the registration fees it charges college coaches. If USSF is not charging the teams entrance fees for their showcases or a registration fees to the college coaches, that represents a material cost difference that at least should be recognized, no?
          Defend at all costs. Great job.

Comment

Interesting point. Showcases are big money. Guess it makes sense to follow the money in the case of the ECNL? Is there any sort of revenue sharing going on?

Comment

And they like Empire so much that they have them and East Meadow misidentified on their location map. Brilliant.
              Just shows what they think of the North East market.

Comment

There were no other clubs that wanted to DA. There is absolutely nochsndeWorld Class and East Meadow are staying in the DA. They both signed their DA spots to NYCFC the only reason. Empire got in was to have a travel partner for WNY and now look. WNY is no longer in WPSL sold to NC and ANY flash decided to stay in ECNL. Hey Empire enjoy your away games.

Comment

Keep in mind Empire United is in the Boys DAP. I am not sure they had any other choice if they wanted to be a player on the girls side but to support USSF and Girls DAP

Comment

Keep in mind Empire United is in the Boys DAP. I am not sure they had any other choice if they wanted to be a player on the girls side but to support USSF and Girls DAP
                    Empire on girls side is not united.

Comment

Empire on girls side is not united.
                      Huh? The release came from Empire United

The point wasn't or not whether they are currently a girls side or not. The point is that the are a Boys DAP club/supporter and because of that are all in for GDA. Similar to Oakwood in CT

Comment

Empire is in for a long year. The travel is going to incredible. They will be playing average teams. I did the research and looking at Northeast.
                        Penn Fusion and breakers will be top
                        PDA and Stars will be 3/4
                        All the rest. Pa Classics, Oakwood. Cedar Stars. FC Fury are. Mooing to be bad.
                        Waste of resources by ussf

Comment

Empire is in for a long year. The travel is going to incredible. They will be playing average teams. I did the research and looking at Northeast.
                          Penn Fusion and breakers will be top
                          PDA and Stars will be 3/4
                          All the rest. Pa Classics, Oakwood. Cedar Stars. FC Fury are. Mooing to be bad.
                          Waste of resources by ussf
                          This is the typical ECNL thinking that USSF is trying to combat. In their mind the goal is to win a bunch of club games but the issue that USSF is trying to address is elevating the level of play and build higher functioning soccer players. The real measure is going to be how many pro and national team players they build, not how many games they win.

Comment

This is the typical ECNL thinking that USSF is trying to combat. In their mind the goal is to win a bunch of club games but the issue that USSF is trying to address is elevating the level of play and build higher functioning soccer players. The real measure is going to be how many pro and national team players they build, not how many games they win.
                            YOUTH SOCCER NEEDS THE COURAGE TO BE PATIENT

http://goalnation.com/youth-soccer-c...urage-patient/

The funny part is the guy writing these articles is the President of the ECNL. He's actually right on target with what is needed. His problem is he can't get the ECNL to implement it.

Comment

In theory - yes the concepts of the DA are terrific. But this article from Lavers is the perfect example of why the DA will not be much different than the ECNL. All of our coaches are A&B licensed... they already know the "right way to play soccer" but once the competitive juices of the coaches get flowing... their entire game plan changes.

My daughter has come up through an ECNL club in the northeast. Ever since U8 they have been learning about playing out the back and working on skill development. During U9 and U10 they even participated in a special program where they played "Festivals" with rules where the other team need to go to midfield when the goalie had the ball to allow for distribution.

However, these same coaches that preached skills and playing out the back when the kids were little, now have their goalie punt to midfield during ECNL games. The pressure to win (or tie) is just too strong. They play such a defensive style to prevent the other team from scoring. It is ugly, boring soccer.

I expect the DA to be the same.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X