Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes just as their teenagers ramp up their focus DA ramps it down. Even forbidding play outside of DA is (high school or other) counter-productive. Yes the quality of the soccer isn't always great and there's always an injury risk (which is there no matter where you play). But they'd still be plying more, maybe playing different positions they don't normally, taking more risks because a coach isn't following a set of guidelines like a robot, playing differently because you're not surrounded by 10 other strong players etc.
    Honestly, I can understand why the DA doesn't allow high school soccer, as it's completely against their philosophy of more training and fewer, more meaningful games, which takes recovery time and the overall development process seriously (rather than the need to win mentality of high school soccer).

What I don't understand is prohibiting players from quality training opportunities outside the DA program, such as practicing with a college team once a week, camps (either local or abroad) during school breaks, or, for the younger age groups, attending position or skill focused clinics with older players, and even private training sessions. A wide range of varied training opportunities can only make a player's skill set more diverse, making for a more complete player. Why the USSF wants to stifle player growth in this way is something I can't figure out. The kids who happen to have parents who are top club coaches, or who were quality collegiate players, are the lucky ones here, in that they can at least get private training from their parent.

Comment

Honestly, I can understand why the DA doesn't allow high school soccer, as it's completely against their philosophy of more training and fewer, more meaningful games, which takes recovery time and the overall development process seriously (rather than the need to win mentality of high school soccer).

What I don't understand is prohibiting players from quality training opportunities outside the DA program, such as practicing with a college team once a week, camps (either local or abroad) during school breaks, or, for the younger age groups, attending position or skill focused clinics with older players, and even private training sessions. A wide range of varied training opportunities can only make a player's skill set more diverse, making for a more complete player. Why the USSF wants to stifle player growth in this way is something I can't figure out. The kids who happen to have parents who are top club coaches, or who were quality collegiate players, are the lucky ones here, in that they can at least get private training from their parent.
      Because only their way is "the best." If families start questioning that, then the whole thing falls apart.

Comment

How on earth does/could DA prohibit private training sessions?

Comment

Because only their way is "the best." If families start questioning that, then the whole thing falls apart.
          It seems more like suppression of potential competition of their chosen ones.

Anyone who knows anything about elite, Olympic or professional sports (which pretty much sums up the people on this site) knows that the amount of time Revs allot for practice is not enough to keep up with the rest of the world- particularly for their own chosen ones. So, they'll get the playing time, the nod to practice or play with other clubs and teams, and so on. If you follow their 'rules' thinking that will up your kid's status, you are wrong wrong wrong.

Comment

This is why what a club like NEFC is trying to do is important. They are trying to build programming that can carry a player from the introductory levels all they way up to the pro levels. That results in a level of consistency that the Revs don't have because they have to rely on all of the other clubs to lay the foundation.
            NEFC is a bad model for youth development. NEFC players lack creativity and soccer IQ.

Comment

NEFC is a bad model for youth development. NEFC players lack creativity and soccer IQ.
              But your kid is creative, right?

Comment

But your kid is creative, right?
                My kids are not playing but thanks for asking. Maybe on the girls side NEFC might have a pathway but certainly not the boys.

Comment

It seems more like suppression of potential competition of their chosen ones.

Anyone who knows anything about elite, Olympic or professional sports (which pretty much sums up the people on this site) knows that the amount of time Revs allot for practice is not enough to keep up with the rest of the world- particularly for their own chosen ones. So, they'll get the playing time, the nod to practice or play with other clubs and teams, and so on. If you follow their 'rules' thinking that will up your kid's status, you are wrong wrong wrong.
                  Of course that's what they want. It's one of the reasons DA is as big as it is - squash the competition. the amount of time DA kids put in is a joke compared to academy players in other parts of the world, formal and informal.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow you with the DA prohibiting player development. The USSF overseas the DA I believe and I'm pretty sure they want kids to get the best out of themselves during Development. Players in the DA from all over the country are getting extra training here at home and abroad. I mean seriously don't we read about it all the time? Take for instance the national team players that are in camp every two months. They have to train during the summer and winter months to stay sharp if they have any intention of staying on the team. Who would stop or want to prevent a kids from improving? You can't step in the way of progress and the USSF knows it. To be honest I have no idea what the DA rules read but something doesn't seem right if this is true

Comment

One word .. accountability. USSF is trying to make the clubs accountable for the player development. Sort of hard to do that though if players are getting over worked by going to private training sessions because their clubs aren't giving them the level of training they need to advance their game. That is what happens when clubs like the Revs recruit a whole bunch of lesser committed players and don't follow the curriculum because they can't get the players to come to them.

Comment

Hiring of James Bunce today.

One word .. accountability. USSF is trying to make the clubs accountable for the player development. Sort of hard to do that though if players are getting over worked by going to private training sessions because their clubs aren't giving them the level of training they need to advance their game. That is what happens when clubs like the Revs recruit a whole bunch of lesser committed players and don't follow the curriculum because they can't get the players to come to them.
                        US Soccer lured mad soccer scientist James Bunce from the EPL today. The Revs players will surely benefit from his "Biobanding" theory.

Comment

Stupid. Not the issue AT ALL.

Comment

This is not even close.

Comment

Then please explain why the Revs are only practicing 3X a week? That isn't the DA curriculum is it?

Comment

Then please explain why the Revs are only practicing 3X a week? That isn't the DA curriculum is it?
                                It's four for a certain group.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X