Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alliance dying?

Would be a good thing but do not believe everything I hear.

Signed,

Non-alliance parent

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Would be a good thing but do not believe everything I hear.

Signed,

Non-alliance parent
    Was it ever alive? Aside from the Alliance clubs paying big bucks to the Timbers for the patch on their jerseys, did any of the Timber's promises ever materialize? The short answer, for all you Lemmings out there, is NO. Clubs got suckered in with lots of promises and all they ended up getting were depleted bank accounts and smaller memberships.

Comment

Was it ever alive? Aside from the Alliance clubs paying big bucks to the Timbers for the patch on their jerseys, did any of the Timber's promises ever materialize? The short answer, for all you Lemmings out there, is NO. Clubs got suckered in with lots of promises and all they ended up getting were depleted bank accounts and smaller memberships.
      All it did for Westside was gut the strongest boys club in Oregon history.. just so the Timbers DA reject training staff could undo decades of hard work....oh well.

Being called a Timber is more of a Joke these days.

Comment

Look at Eastside. It's a shell of what it was 5 years ago (and it wasn't all that great then). Girls side is almost completely obliterated and the boys side is extremely weak.

Comment

Saying the 'alliance' is dying, implies it was healthy, vibrant and alive at some point. It wasn't.

Comment

This will never happen.

Comment

Too bad, they are stuck is a loveless marriage.

Comment

This will never happen.
                God I hope so.

Comment

All it did for Westside was gut the strongest boys club in Oregon history.. just so the Timbers DA reject training staff could undo decades of hard work....oh well.

Being called a Timber is more of a Joke these days.
                  This was pretty astonishing to watch. They're still competitive but damn what it could have been. All you have to do is look at the U17 Winter League standings to figure out where the talent migrated to.

Comment

This was pretty astonishing to watch. They're still competitive but damn what it could have been. All you have to do is look at the U17 Winter League standings to figure out where the talent migrated to.
                    You are absolutely clueless if you think Westside. Is a better option than the DA.

Comment

You are absolutely clueless if you think Westside. Is a better option than the DA.
                      I didn't say that, you did. DA isn't for everyone and that isn't Westside's problem.

Comment

I didn't say that, you did. DA isn't for everyone and that isn't Westside's problem.
                        Westside actively encourages its top players, upon reaching the appropriate age, to try out for and join the DA.

FC, who leads the U17 winter league by a mile, I suspect does not. I don't know what the club's institutional opinion of the Timbers is, but many of the FC posters here are quite hostile to the Timbers.

Now a legitimate critique of the DA is that Westside, prior to the DA's formation, was producing more pro-level talent than the DA has produced--the suggestion being that Cony and company were better at developing top-level talent than the Timbers organization is. That's an interesting claim to investigate. The last pre-DA pro to come out of the Portland area was Rubio Rubin, now the Timbers have a DA product on the first team. OTOH, some of this might be changes in the economics of soccer (and MLS in particular) as anything else--guys like Hutardo and Mwanga entered the league during a time when it was a far less attractive destination for foreign pros, and Mwanga--despite being a #1 pick--didn't stick around.

And given that the metro area seems to produce one pro-caliber male player every 2-3 years, we might be looking at simple statistical variation.

Comment

Westside actively encourages its top players, upon reaching the appropriate age, to try out for and join the DA.

FC, who leads the U17 winter league by a mile, I suspect does not. I don't know what the club's institutional opinion of the Timbers is, but many of the FC posters here are quite hostile to the Timbers.

Now a legitimate critique of the DA is that Westside, prior to the DA's formation, was producing more pro-level talent than the DA has produced--the suggestion being that Cony and company were better at developing top-level talent than the Timbers organization is. That's an interesting claim to investigate. The last pre-DA pro to come out of the Portland area was Rubio Rubin, now the Timbers have a DA product on the first team. OTOH, some of this might be changes in the economics of soccer (and MLS in particular) as anything else--guys like Hutardo and Mwanga entered the league during a time when it was a far less attractive destination for foreign pros, and Mwanga--despite being a #1 pick--didn't stick around.

And given that the metro area seems to produce one pro-caliber male player every 2-3 years, we might be looking at simple statistical variation.

You are making a lot of assumptions. FC encourages players to try out for the DA. Your Claim the Conny is the Pro producer is just silly. Have you been to a game he has coached in the last 4 years. He yells constantly to dribble and hit it long. The game has passed him by. He is strictly a get results at club level coach. If you think he is any more you are drinking the koolaid.

And you are the number one issue with youth soccer in Oregon. A clueless wonder that thinks everyone should hear his opinion. You are just an Ass trying to stir up issues with a clear issue against FC.

I am not saying FC is any better then Westside or any other club. All clubs have some good coaches and some bad. No club has it all correct. Thats the way it is and the way it will always be. Get off your high horse and stop being an ASS

Comment

Marco Farfan is an oregon timbers DA homegrown player for sure, but with an entry level salary (on the cheap-mls defender range 40k to 80K) that is nearly 6 to 10x less $$ than Pre-Timbers DA, 'generation adidas' mwanga was offered by the mls & adidas in just his first year of the MLS career. The (mls) shelled out big bucks so (mwanga) would not go to europe in 2009/10. Going to europe was still as sexy then, as it is today. But, the MLS had much more influence on US players back then, before they decided on the homegrown route as the model the league needed for young unproven US players. In that former era adidas was throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars at generation adidas players, like mwanga and the following year nagbe. Today the homegrown player is locked into a low salary and tied to a mls club. btw mwanga did 6 years in the mls 2010-15 and is now playing abroad. He stuck around and left. hurtado on the other hand is entering his 5th season of mls and was on the tail end of the generous paydays of gen. adidas players by 2013, as the homegrown route had taken over effectively marginalizing the SuperDraft and the lucrative contracts offered by Gen. adidas.

The youth coaching and club culture in the pdx area just 5 to 10 years ago was vastly different than it is today, with the timbers DA embedded into the landscape present day. westside metros was ranked in the top 30 in 2010 of all clubs nationwide and they had a full plate of top youth coaches on staff. Not so today.

Is that relevant or just coincidence? Things change and we all must adapt.

Comment

You are making a lot of assumptions. FC encourages players to try out for the DA. Your Claim the Conny is the Pro producer is just silly. Have you been to a game he has coached in the last 4 years. He yells constantly to dribble and hit it long. The game has passed him by. He is strictly a get results at club level coach. If you think he is any more you are drinking the koolaid.
                              Not the Cony I'm familiar with--if anything, Cony's big kick these days is futsal, futsal, and more futsal, but you're entitled to you're beliefs.

And you are the number one issue with youth soccer in Oregon. A clueless wonder that thinks everyone should hear his opinion. You are just an Ass trying to stir up issues with a clear issue against FC.
                              Me? Yours truly? Wow, I'm humbled. Are you sure you have the right envelope?

At any rate, I was responding to a post claiming that FC is doing better in OYSA at the U17 level because Westside lost a lot of its talent to the DA, wondering if the same is or isn't true for FC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X