Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So true. The quality of soccer my D plays is great to watch. You can have those big fast kids playing overly physical boot ball. My D may be slow, but so is everyone else, so they have plenty of time on the ball to make smart passes and consider tactics with interesting overlap patterns. Sometimes, when the defenders trip, our forwards break through. Because the goalies rarely come off their line, we see goals. So much more exciting.

The beautiful game is just more beautiful when performance and game results take a back seat to playing properly.
    Thanks for this. Very funny.

Comment

You know what else is a known fact? Of the 300+ mens D1 soccer programs over 280+ suck; in a similar trend, over 280+ of the 300+ women's programs play really unappealing soccer and still, apparently do not understand the game either.
      Another fact: Most, if not all of these players, will do nothing with soccer after graduation. Well, maybe a few will become youth coaches at the club level Don’t lose sleep over it.

Comment

To say a kid will be successful because they attend a D3 is Asinine can be successful at D1,2or3.

Comment

Lol. So obviously you think it’s a hell of a lot better at the D3 level where the players are a step too slow, their touch a bit sloppy, their speed of play lagging, and their primary focus on their studies. The beautiful game played in molasses that level is.
          The worst D1 teams would easily beat any of the 5-10+ ranked D3 teams. Speaking from experience and men only. No idea on the women’s side. Top 5 D3 teams would give the lowest ranked 10 D1 teams a game. Full stop.

Comment

The worst D1 teams would easily beat any of the 5-10+ ranked D3 teams. Speaking from experience and men only. No idea on the women’s side. Top 5 D3 teams would give the lowest ranked 10 D1 teams a game. Full stop.
            Happy hour is still going on for you. I hope you call an uber to get home from the bar.

Comment

Playing properly is winning. Watch North Carolina. Watch the women’s national team. It’s about winning. Very few women in the world ca. Make a great living playing soccer and women’s soccer is not beautiful to watch

Comment

Playing properly is winning. Watch North Carolina. Watch the women’s national team. It’s about winning. Very few women in the world ca. Make a great living playing soccer and women’s soccer is not beautiful to watch
                Yup. Thats why I don’t go to the ballet. I like competition, and my girl competes

You sound like a fairy

Comment

Lol. So obviously you think it’s a hell of a lot better at the D3 level where the players are a step too slow, their touch a bit sloppy, their speed of play lagging, and their primary focus on their studies. The beautiful game played in molasses that level is.
                  Let's just say that I do not think its a hell of a lot worse.

Comment

Pot is now legal but i dont think crack is yet ... you better put that stuff down.

Comment

I wrote that. 3 generations of gold standard winners here. That’s what happens when you have an abundance of talent, brains and ambition. I stand by what I wrote. Too many glamourize this whole issue to an obscene level and seem to have no idea how tenuous it really is nor what it takes to successfully navigate through to the end. Certainly not for the faint of spirit. I’m all for education but this idea that the name on a piece of paper defines a kid for the rest of their life I find ridiculous. That’s a follower’s mindset. If you are raising a winner in life they’ll be successful wherever they go. I know way to many successful people that worked their way up from dirt poor. I’ll take them over the elitist fakes that seem to populate this site. My experience is that when the going gets tough those types are the first to tap out. I don’t respect that. That said if you can parlay your kid’s talent for soccer into a million dollar education, go for it, just be mindful that there is no such thing as a free lunch. No matter what level you send your kid to just know that there is work to be done and no one gives anything away just out of the kindness of their hearts. I am always amazed at how staunchly some here will defend the D3 academic route without factoring in the soccer workload. Never made sense when honestly the soccer is just an extracurricular and the parent is paying for that million dollar education. To each their own though. I just wish those folks would stop embellishing how attainable things like Tips are and lying about the realities that exist on that path. Kids that get tips to elite academic institutions are unicorns. If some on this site actually had a kid that is one they wouldn’t need to embellish so much to convince everyone out in anonymous TS land that their choices were so much smarter than the rest of the crowd.
                      Hey BTDT, how are your talent, brains and ambition working out for you these days?

Must have been fun moving into your dad's house. Heard you were finally able to move out again after you squeezed your soon to be ex wife for some extra alimony.

Comment

For fun, I took a look at the MIT players who won first or second team NEWMAC recognition to see what happened to them. Going backwards, the available data was not great for classes 2014 to present as many of them were still finishing school. So, I looked at the 5 year period from 2009-2013. During that period, MIT had 11 women named to the first or second all NEWMAC team. The following is a brief summary of each:

BS in Mechanical Engineering working as a product developer for a startup

Wall Street (Goldman)

Wall Street then to a startup

MS in computer science now a product manager at Uber

Masters in Mech Eng working at a startup

Wall Street, now getting an MBA at Wharton

BS in Aerospace Eng, Masters at USC in Systems architecture, getting MBA at Sloan, while still an employee of a top company

Mechanical design engineer at Tesla

U Mich med school now a surgeon

Masters in Mechanical Eng, product design engineer, with a number of patents

Software Developer
                        Bump it up

Comment

What is the point? So kids with lots of brains (need that to get into MIT.. it’s not Brandeis) used them. What is so note worthy about the post? My bet is if you looked at the women from a top tier D1 academic like Stanford or Duke who were All PAC 12 or All ACC over the same time frame a good chunk would still be playing pro ball some place and those that aren’t are on similar academic roads. Now let’s compare student loan balances.

Comment

What is the point? So kids with lots of brains (need that to get into MIT.. it’s not Brandeis) used them. What is so note worthy about the post? My bet is if you looked at the women from a top tier D1 academic like Stanford or Duke who were All PAC 12 or All ACC over the same time frame a good chunk would still be playing pro ball some place and those that aren’t are on similar academic roads. Now let’s compare student loan balances.
                            Instead of guessing, why don't you do the homework and tell us actual facts.

Comment

I would bet differently. My guess is that a good portion of the players made the trade off and sacrificed academics to devote more time to athletics, even at a place like Duke. Sure, some were able to do both, but my bet is that is the exception.

Comment

I would bet differently. My guess is that a good portion of the players made the trade off and sacrificed academics to devote more time to athletics, even at a place like Duke. Sure, some were able to do both, but my bet is that is the exception.
                                Maybe not. I looked at 2011 as a sample year. 6 Duke women were named all ACC.

playing pro in Finland
                                Financial adviser for JP Morgan
                                Structural engineer
                                High tech sales
                                Physical Therapist
                                unable to locate one

overall, pretty good I would say.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X