Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You all are ridiculous. This is college not a Nobel peace prize. Twelve people look at the picture whether it is the science fair or and NLI. Relax.
    Only family cares. But our standards for integrity slip a little all the time. Why not be okay with what you've accomplished and the choices you've made? No, mom and dad spent thousands on club soccer so we need to get the photo evidence for their parent-of-the-decade awards.

Comment

Only family cares. But our standards for integrity slip a little all the time. Why not be okay with what you've accomplished and the choices you've made? No, mom and dad spent thousands on club soccer so we need to get the photo evidence for their parent-of-the-decade awards.
      I dont understand why high schools post this pics period. Some of the kids are more involved in the club side of the sport then the school sports anyway. Sometimes it has very little to do with the high school at all.

Comment

I dont understand why high schools post this pics period. Some of the kids are more involved in the club side of the sport then the school sports anyway. Sometimes it has very little to do with the high school at all.
        Because they're proud of their athletes, and debaters and musicians...

Comment

The schools organize the pictures. Kids don't have to participate if they don't want to

Comment

Because they're proud of their athletes, and debaters and musicians...
            OF course but is it always their athletes? Have all these NLI signers played that sport for the HS?

Comment

Back when most towns had real local newspapers, they would put picture and a write up of all the local kids who went to college, whether it was Harvard or Bunker Hill Community College. That medium no longer available. You shouldn’t get you panties in a bunch over a few twitter pics.

Comment

"Me too! Me too! I played and I'm special too!" A D3 athlete or a D1/2 athlete getting no money isn't signing anything. They may be announcing that they're committed, or celebrating that they got admitted to the school of their choice, but there's no reason to sit and get photographed signing a FAKE NLI. Go home and take a picture with mom and dad and grandma with your college sweatshirt on and post it on facebook.

It's an insult to the kids that have the talent and put in the work to get an athletic scholarship that is sealed by the signing of an NLI. If the Williams kid or Babson kid or Colby kid had more talent, or perhaps sacrificed some study time to work harder or seek out a higher level of competition, perhaps they'd be awarded a scholarship. But they didn't, and now they sit at a table next to the kid that has the ability and worked his or her azz off and everyone wants to pretend that they're equal. They are not.

This subject gets me going, as it's a little bit "trophy for all," a little bit of parents needing to show the neighbors that they won the offspring battle, and a sizable rationalization. So many of these parents want it both ways, IMO: they want to claim that they "chose" D3 for academics and have athletics in their proper perspective, while at the same time demanding the photo op that has been earned by the real athletes.

And, to be clear, my kid does NOT have an athletic scholarship. When she was offered the chance to be in a fake signing ceremony, she declined, because she didn't want to insult her best friend who had earned a big scholarship in another sport.
                Let’s be clear. You are a wound up, angry loser. It’s an insult? To who really? Most decent people would be happy for any child that lands where they want. It’s gross that you think not having the almighty athletic scholarship means these kids shouldn’t do these photos.

Comment

"Me too! Me too! I played and I'm special too!" A D3 athlete or a D1/2 athlete getting no money isn't signing anything. They may be announcing that they're committed, or celebrating that they got admitted to the school of their choice, but there's no reason to sit and get photographed signing a FAKE NLI. Go home and take a picture with mom and dad and grandma with your college sweatshirt on and post it on facebook.

It's an insult to the kids that have the talent and put in the work to get an athletic scholarship that is sealed by the signing of an NLI. If the Williams kid or Babson kid or Colby kid had more talent, or perhaps sacrificed some study time to work harder or seek out a higher level of competition, perhaps they'd be awarded a scholarship. But they didn't, and now they sit at a table next to the kid that has the ability and worked his or her azz off and everyone wants to pretend that they're equal. They are not.

This subject gets me going, as it's a little bit "trophy for all," a little bit of parents needing to show the neighbors that they won the offspring battle, and a sizable rationalization. So many of these parents want it both ways, IMO: they want to claim that they "chose" D3 for academics and have athletics in their proper perspective, while at the same time demanding the photo op that has been earned by the real athletes.

And, to be clear, my kid does NOT have an athletic scholarship. When she was offered the chance to be in a fake signing ceremony, she declined, because she didn't want to insult her best friend who had earned a big scholarship in another sport.
                  You could have written, “I’m really insecure,” and saved us all that reading.

Comment

You could have written, “I’m really insecure,” and saved us all that reading.
                    Please explain the insecurity. My kid elected not to participate in the sham. Other kids' parents insist on the photo op as if they got a scholarship. Who's the insecure party in that?

Comment

Let’s be clear. You are a wound up, angry loser. It’s an insult? To who really? Most decent people would be happy for any child that lands where they want. It’s gross that you think not having the almighty athletic scholarship means these kids shouldn’t do these photos.
                      To be clear - I have no issue with the photos. Get the t-shirt on, hold a ball, take a picture with all the other kids that are going off to play a sport in college. That's great. I love seeing the big picture with all the kids from the senior class from the school and how proud they are to be moving on in their sport. Just don't fake signing a legal document as if you just got paid.

Comment

If you are happy where you landed, why are you pretending that you got a scholarship?

Comment

If you are happy where you landed, why are you pretending that you got a scholarship?
                          They really are not. Why do you think they would pretend that. they are secure with what they are doing. Are you?

Comment

They really are not. Why do you think they would pretend that. they are secure with what they are doing. Are you?
                            So you've never seen the pen held over a piece of paper with all kinds of writing on it, taken on the NLI signing day? Okay, good for you. I happen to believe in being proud of what my kids have achieved, and don't bother to exaggerate their successes.

I loved seeing my kids' teammates celebrate their school choices. I actually keep an eye on how they're doing in their various sports, and send a friend a congratulatory message when I see that their kid has scored or earned a starting spot or made the tournament. That includes D3 kids, too.

Comment

It's an insult to the kids that have the talent and put in the work to get an athletic scholarship that is sealed by the signing of an NLI. If the Williams kid or Babson kid or Colby kid had more talent, or perhaps sacrificed some study time to work harder or seek out a higher level of competition, perhaps they'd be awarded a scholarship.
                              Did you actually say that? “Sacrifice study time to work a little harder”? You are a nut! “Seek out a higher level of competition?” Maybe they played in the highest leagues. Maybe they want to go to med school and d1 doesn’t fit that long term goal. There are a lot of sceneries that you are lumping kids into!

Comment

Did you actually say that? “Sacrifice study time to work a little harder”? You are a nut! “Seek out a higher level of competition?” Maybe they played in the highest leagues. Maybe they want to go to med school and d1 doesn’t fit that long term goal. There are a lot of sceneries that you are lumping kids into!
                                Yeah, that was poorly worded. What I meant was that many kids put in extra time or effort to pursue a D1 spot, and the rewards can be a scholarship and being able to sign an NLI. They may be sacrificing in other areas - including academics, family vacations, social activities, etc. - to do so. I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do or that it's what our family has chosen to do, but I respect their choice and their achievement.

If your kid didn't make that choice and didn't have that achievement, don't participate in an NLI ceremony. Pretty simple. Be secure enough to travel your own path. Keep the med school dream alive. Good luck.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X