Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    BTW being piss poor, stupid, and delusional is not really a winning combination in life.
    It's good you're finally realizing that. Now do something about it, loser.

Comment

The laughable part is you seem to think where you have them is much better than Iona when it really isn't. Outside of the very top of the heap schools there is very little difference. BTW being piss poor, stupid, and delusional is not really a winning combination in life.
      Haha, keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better. You settled for a lesser school academically, just so your daughter could get $10k per year of athletic money and not play much. Enjoy!

Comment

Haha, keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better. You settled for a lesser school academically, just so your daughter could get $10k per year of athletic money and not play much. Enjoy!
        10k a year you say? You’re the one deluding yourself, try more than 6 times that number at one of the top ranked D1 schools. Thanks for playing👍.

Comment

10k a year you say? You’re the one deluding yourself, try more than 6 times that number at one of the top ranked D1 schools. Thanks for playing👍.
          Okay, how many local kids are getting 60K per year at a top ranked D1 school? 2 or 3?

Congrats to you and yours. But that is not the reality for most of us.

Comment

Okay, how many local kids are getting 60K per year at a top ranked D1 school? 2 or 3?

It's not reality for this braggart either. Yeah, my kids D3 gave us a house at the Cape and she got a Mercedes in addition to full tuition room and board.

Comment

No it’s just your reality. Don’t start lumping the majority in with you. Most families with your level soccer player threw it into club soccer neutral once they got to high school. Few of them, if any, are still here on TS trying puff up their kids soccer exploits. That’s just a reality, most of those parents outgrew soccer even if their kid is still playing in college and can’t be bothered with this site. It’s just not important anymore in the grand scheme of what they are looking at. The thing is the poster who wrote that a D1 kid was only getting 10k was either delusional or has a boy. Girl D1 soccer players average 50% so with tuitions upwards of 70k what most are getting well exceeds 10k. The sad part is someone here desperately wants those following behind to believe that there is a ton of merit money that can compete with what a kid is going to get if they get a soccer scholarship but the reality is it doesn’t actually line up so neatly. Just like soccer, the money is relative to the amount of talent your kid has. Another reality is almost all of the top D3 DO NOT give academic money and if they do your kid has to be the equivalent of an academic national team student to get a whole lot of it. Basically your kid would need to be in the top 1 percent of the school’s admission pool to really cash in like they suggest. The truth of the matter is without soccer money pulling strings like it does at D1 if you need a whole lot of merit money most have to compromise on academic prestige to get it. That’s a far cry from the crap that gets peddled to the future D3 crowd on this site.

Comment

No it’s just your reality. Don’t start lumping the majority in with you. Most families with your level soccer player threw it into club soccer neutral once they got to high school. Few of them, if any, are still here on TS trying puff up their kids soccer exploits. That’s just a reality, most of those parents outgrew soccer even if their kid is still playing in college and can’t be bothered with this site. It’s just not important anymore in the grand scheme of what they are looking at. The thing is the poster who wrote that a D1 kid was only getting 10k was either delusional or has a boy. Girl D1 soccer players average 50% so with tuitions upwards of 70k what most are getting well exceeds 10k. The sad part is someone here desperately wants those following behind to believe that there is a ton of merit money that can compete with what a kid is going to get if they get a soccer scholarship but the reality is it doesn’t actually line up so neatly. Just like soccer, the money is relative to the amount of talent your kid has. Another reality is almost all of the top D3 DO NOT give academic money and if they do your kid has to be the equivalent of an academic national team student to get a whole lot of it. Basically your kid would need to be in the top 1 percent of the school’s admission pool to really cash in like they suggest. The truth of the matter is without soccer money pulling strings like it does at D1 if you need a whole lot of merit money most have to compromise on academic prestige to get it. That’s a far cry from the crap that gets peddled to the future D3 crowd on this site.

Speaking of moving on, what are you going to do in two years, BTDT?

Comment

Speaking of moving on, what are you going to do in two years, BTDT?
                  My bet is still laughing at you and your foolish rationalizations. So what is it now 70K from Duke vs 10K from Brandeis? That's a far cry from where you started with the whole admissions to Williams and nothing vs 40K to Albany crap. Tell the story straight or don't tell it at all clown.

Comment

So a kid with perfect scores turned down the Ivies? Not buying that one.
                    Sorry to inform you otherwise, but perfect SATs are no assurance of admission to the top Ivies. And MIT is likely a easy choice over Ivies other than HYP, absent special circumstances.

For a serious student who enjoys athletics, MIT can be a good choice. In recent years the soccer has been top 20 or so level. Every year it seems that MIT has a couple of real studs ("who coulda gone D1"), often being the athlete of the year in NEWMAC.

The athletic demands of MIT are reasonable enough that the top soccer players are still able to excel in the classroom. Someone did a review of recent MIT all conference players and what they do now and it was very impressive.

Comment

No it’s just your reality. Don’t start lumping the majority in with you. Most families with your level soccer player threw it into club soccer neutral once they got to high school. Few of them, if any, are still here on TS trying puff up their kids soccer exploits...................................
                      What are you smoking? I stand by my comments:

"Okay, how many local kids are getting 60K per year at a top ranked D1 school? 2 or 3?

Congrats to you and yours. But that is not the reality for most of us."

The vast majority are not getting 60k a year at a top ranked D1.

Perhaps you are confusing me with someone else. I am not discussing my daughter or her soccer career. I am not knocking the choices of other parents. The road to college is a difficult one. Balancing soccer ability, with academic ability, finances, and all the other factors which go into making a college decision is not easy. No two people have the exact same issues to address.

However, people do need to have their eyes open regarding the reality of soccer scholarships. As BTDT says, being a D1 scholarship athlete is a full time job. Yes, there is money out there, but it is not as plentiful as some seem to imply. If you are good enough, yes, it is there. But, there are not that many slots compared to the number of kids still playing club soccer. Just to get some athletic money from a D1 school is quite an accomplishment. I don't care if it's Iona or FDU. It is extraordinary.

Do not get caught up with the rat race. Do what is best for you and your kid. When i saw the picture of the kid signing yesterday for Pomona I felt for her. ED decisions are not even out yet. What happens if she does not get into Pomona?

Whatever you do, do not give enough information on TS for your kid to be identified.

Comment

Does Williams or Amherst grant Merit aide? If so what sort of GPA and or test scores does one realistically need to qualify for a whole bunch of it?
                        100% NO!!

Generous financial aid for those who qualify but no merit.

Comment

My kid pays less than 30k for a great D3 school that retails for over 72k this year. Have fun at Iona ..... Glad we pay less than you do.
                          Sorry, i do not mean to offend you, but I wonder what "great" really means in your post.

If your discount is by reason of need-based financial aid, than I do not quibble with that adjective. However, if the discount is because of merit money, then I begin to wonder. Most of the very top D3 schools do not offer merit money. For those that do, it is truly the exceptional student who qualifies for said merit money. So, I wonder how "great" this D3 school really is. Perhaps it is a really good school like Union, or Rhodes. But i consider teh "great" category to be much smaller, perhaps MIT, Pomona, Williams, Chicago, etc.

Also, i do not take issue with your family's decision. The combination of quality and price was good for you. That is what it is all about. Happy to hear you found the right place.

Comment

All of it comes down to talent/brains. The problem with this site is few here objectively assess what it takes to earn either a soccer scholarship or admission to an elite academic institution and even fewer have any idea what so ever what level intellect it takes to earn an academic scholarship to one. Your point is that few kids are talented enough to get a soccer scholarships. That may be true. My point is even fewer get academic money to the type of schools that folks around here like to throw around and soccer really has no impact on that. In fact it’s probably somewhat of a time waste for those that do. They are truly unicorns. The idea that anyone is going to eschew D1 and parlay soccer into a financially equivalent but superior academic situation is just plain wrong. It is time to recognize that there are levels in life and you can’t always keep up with the Jones.

Comment

100% NO!!

Generous financial aid for those who qualify but no merit.
                              Yes, very generous financial aid. The number can be surprisingly large when you have more than 1 kid in school or special circumstances.

Sometimes, the soccer can be the extra "tip" that gets one into an Amherst or Williams. Then the financial aid has nothing to do with soccer.

Comment

Yes, very generous financial aid. The number can be surprisingly large when you have more than 1 kid in school or special circumstances.

Sometimes, the soccer can be the extra "tip" that gets one into an Amherst or Williams. Then the financial aid has nothing to do with soccer.
                                But then soccer really does have anything to do with it then does it? FA is FA. It’s need based and available pretty much everywhere. The level in the NCAA really has nothing to do with how much of a family’s need gets funded. Your logic is really just an extension of what is driving the fake NLI signings by D3 athletes. Soccer just is not part of the equation so why do some in the D3 crowd insist on trying to force a connection?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X