Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDS Showcase team inquiry

Hello all, anyone have a child who has done the an RDS Showcase team? My Daughter got an invite for the tryout. But it is in NJ and we are on Long Island. Says it consists of 1 practice and then 1 Showcase. This is my first foray into soccer with my kids. Any opinions?

What year? I think they invite pretty much everyone who does an RDS. My daughter did one of the spring training groups and said aside from a few girls most of the kids were not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What year? I think they invite pretty much everyone who does an RDS. My daughter did one of the spring training groups and said aside from a few girls most of the kids were not great.
      Probably for Winter Showcase.

They do a tournament with the chosen team at Soccer Coliseum. They truly will pick the best players and will only invite kids they see potential in. This is not like PDP or ODP where they will invite anyone to come pay for a tryout. Worse case scenario is you get a free training out of it which with RBs is always good. It is hard to get to NJ, but my kid got a lot out of the RDS program and very happy we did it.

Comment

What is the winter showcase?

Comment

Hello all, anyone have a child who has done the an RDS Showcase team? My Daughter got an invite for the tryout. But it is in NJ and we are on Long Island. Says it consists of 1 practice and then 1 Showcase. This is my first foray into soccer with my kids. Any opinions?
          I got same invitation, but try out is Monday 10/01 and very far.. so I gave up.. I don't want to drive for 2 hrs for one way for tryout + practice :(

Comment

ours is for Oct 29th ..... just trying to get an idea if it is worth it. What is the benefit? to me is sounds like just bragging rights... any real benefit for the child?

Comment

ours is for Oct 29th ..... just trying to get an idea if it is worth it. What is the benefit? to me is sounds like just bragging rights... any real benefit for the child?
              I've never done this, but common sense says the player would get to play with other top players with a high level of play, likely higher than their club team. Plus good coaching, and getting the player on coaches' radar, if playing for the Red Bulls is a goal. It is something good to put on the player's soccer resume too.

Now, if your family isn't on this type of path then the costs, in time and travel might not make sense.

Comment

I assume its not worth it. if RB wants to invite talented kid, it must be Free like NYCFC (city training).

NYCFC inviting kids to Free training. coaches are DA academy coaches

Go NYCFC!!

Comment

I assume its not worth it. if RB wants to invite talented kid, it must be Free like NYCFC (city training).

NYCFC inviting kids to Free training. coaches are DA academy coaches

Go NYCFC!!
                  She said it was a daughter. NYCFC now girls playing for their funded BDA MLS academy? Goof for them. Redbulls does not even have a gda for girls much less allowing girls to participate in their funded BDA academy.

Comment

She said it was a daughter. NYCFC now girls playing for their funded BDA MLS academy? Goof for them. Redbulls does not even have a gda for girls much less allowing girls to participate in their funded BDA academy.
                    Good for them.

Comment

NYCFC has GDA team. if she is talented, they will reach you.

Comment

NYCFC has GDA team. if she is talented, they will reach you.
                        Glad they have a gda but it is not funded and it it is not located on LI like the boys.

Comment

My daughter did it a couple of years before aging out of the RDS program (both winter and summer showcases). For her, it was one of the most enjoyable soccer things she has done. Not sure how they select the girls to invite to the tryouts, but my impression is that they first invite the girls they believe are obvious choices and then have the tryouts to fill in the remaining spots (my daughter was not an obvious choice and had to attend the tryouts). The quality of the players in the program is high already, so getting a chance to play with an even more select group was amazing for my daughter.

The practice was pretty much the same as a regular RDS practice, but it was cool to get a tour of the Red Bulls training facility, and for the parents they usually do a session on college recruiting for the younger age groups.

The winter tournament is pretty much one of those indoor things at the Teaneck Soccer Coliseum. Competition level will vary. For the most part, the RDS teams will crush the opponents, although one year my daughter's team actually got beat. Pretty incredible considering that the RDS team only has the one practice, and in many instances has players who play up 1-2 age brackets.

Cost-wise, I don't remember it being particularly pricey. Pretty much covers the uniform, the coach and the tournament fee. I didn't get the impression they were making a ton of money from it.

As you might be able to tell from this post, I have a very high opinion of the Red Bulls RDS program. At least give it a try.

Comment

It's one practice and one game, so the idea isn't that it will be any kind of big development thing for your kid. Certainly some bragging-rights component to it, but it's also the opportunity to play with a team with a very high level of talent. You may feel like your kid already has that opportunity, but for my kid it was the first time she ever teamed with YNT players. Also, developing a closer relationship with the RDS staff is never a bad thing.

Comment

My D received this. I guess maybe they'll do a north and south team with tryouts in NJ and NY. I'd like her to do it but $180 for a training and a Soccer Coliseum tournament is tough. Especially since there's a reasonable chance the RDS team could end up playing against her actual club, which would not be well received.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X