Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DA Questions

Please give me a little time with serious replies before the ECNL/DA/NPL and soccer elitist replies kick in. Pretty please?

I have heard lots about all the requirements if you join this program. Are they true...and are they club-dependent?

Can't play any other soccer anywhere (school, other clubs, futsal)? Does that include other soccer summer camps?

Can't do any other activities (skiing, basketball, track, hunting, fishing, parasailing, horseback riding, motocross, ice climbing, poker, chorus)?

Full-time commitment, where you cannot miss 'X' amount of practices and/or games?

Large rosters, with players who are on for training and not for playing. Massively unequal playing time?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Please give me a little time with serious replies before the ECNL/DA/NPL and soccer elitist replies kick in. Pretty please?

I have heard lots about all the requirements if you join this program. Are they true...and are they club-dependent?

Can't play any other soccer anywhere (school, other clubs, futsal)? Does that include other soccer summer camps?

Can't do any other activities (skiing, basketball, track, hunting, fishing, parasailing, horseback riding, motocross, ice climbing, poker, chorus)?

Full-time commitment, where you cannot miss 'X' amount of practices and/or games?

Large rosters, with players who are on for training and not for playing. Massively unequal playing time?
    I can speak from the boys perspective:
    Yes sort of.
    Not without a waiver or add on midyear, which is tough to get.
    Some boys sneak basketball, so it’s club dependent
    Yes, full time
    Smaller as they get older, but definitely true. Some don’t play at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I'll bite:
      1) Can't play organized soccer for another team or group. No high school soccer, no ODP, no guest playing on your friends team because they really need players for a tournament. Many girls were able to play futsal

2) Do whatever other activities you want. JUST NO SOCCER. Not a ton of time for more than one other activity, so choose wisely.

3) Yes, full-time commitment. But not onerous. If the coach is worried you're not showing up, you'll hear about it.

4) Roster size pretty normal (18-ish). Playing time depends on who you ask. Some people will be happier than others. Most players played at least a half a game, most more, and a very very few much less.

Comment

I'll bite:
        1) Can't play organized soccer for another team or group. No high school soccer, no ODP, no guest playing on your friends team because they really need players for a tournament. Many girls were able to play futsal

2) Do whatever other activities you want. JUST NO SOCCER. Not a ton of time for more than one other activity, so choose wisely.

3) Yes, full-time commitment. But not onerous. If the coach is worried you're not showing up, you'll hear about it.

4) Roster size pretty normal (18-ish). Playing time depends on who you ask. Some people will be happier than others. Most players played at least a half a game, most more, and a very very few much less.
        My comments above from a GDA perspective.

Comment

You only need to ask your kid one question. Do you want to test yourself Gainst the top players in the region? If the answer is no you don’t have to worry about the rest.

Comment

Are you talking about girl's or boy's? The rules aren't necessarily different, but the path and goals might be.

Comment

I agree with the poster above
              1) No High School Soccer & no Guest Play. ID camps and summer activities are OK. Basically they do not want you playing guest playing for a USYS or USCS league. The negative on this is if THE CLUB over rosters the team with Full Time players the players at the bottom end cannot play games with another team to get experience.
              2) & 3) are really related - You typically have one more practice a week (assuming your daughter is already practicing 3 times a week) and figure out what your daughter has time for. There is no rule against other High School Sports (Other than Soccer) The problem is finding the time to do them.
              4) The play time issue is related to the roster size. GDA is really meant to have a roster size of 16-17 players with some additional "DP" brought on to play games as needed. If a GDA club rosters 20 Girls it will suck for players 14-20.

Comment

You only need to ask your kid one question. Do you want to test yourself Gainst the top players in the region? If the answer is no you don’t have to worry about the rest.
                Boys - yes (well, mostly). Girls? No. Not all the top players are in GDA, not even close.

Comment

Only 6-7 players per age group on each of the two MA DAP get significant minutes so the more important question is: are you willing to sit on the bench most of the time?

Comment

How much has to be paid directly to the club for DA participation?

Comment

How much has to be paid directly to the club for DA participation?
                      That is club dependent is my guess. $3k for BBA GDA tuition. Obviously that does not include the travel costs.

Comment

I'll bite:

I think some of these comments are made with a generous broad brush and subject to a great deal of debate.

Comment

If you're kid is 8th grade or older and you're not already on a D1 scholarship path, thinking about GDA, thinking it will put them on that path, here's breaking news: It won't and what you're really considering is being a GDA benchwarmer. Does that really work for your kid (as much as it works for you)? I'd bet it doesn't, but good luck!

Comment

I think some of these comments are made with a generous broad brush and subject to a great deal of debate.
                            like real estate, it's all local. Being in the "best league" (whatever you think that is) won't mean squat if the coaching is crap. Find the best coaching in a competitive league that works for your player and your family (time/budget). Don't worry about the patch.

Comment

Boys - yes (well, mostly). Girls? No. Not all the top players are in GDA, not even close.
                              That's not correct in the higher grades. Most are in the GDA; some are not. Not necessary our conference, but check the others.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X