Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant Recruiting Classes

Given all the talk on the other threads about recruiting, I think this is a very interesting issue.

Granted all 3 of these programs have had a few rough years and now have new or semi new coaches but I think these numbers are staggering.

Villanova - 13 incoming Freshman plus 3 transfers
    Temple - 9 incoming Freshman plus 7 transfers
    Memphis - 13 incoming Freshman

I don't think I have ever see such huge influxes all at once, but I'm sure it happens a lot with new coaches. Just food for thought when evaluating schools.

Sometimes it's just timing with a large senior class exiting, or like someone said a new coach cleaning house. Problem is will a coach be upfront with you about how many he/she is bringing in? Will you ever play? By the time you find out it's too late. UCONN men's had 5 or GKs last year and the new ones had no idea they were bringing in so many.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Sometimes it's just timing with a large senior class exiting, or like someone said a new coach cleaning house. Problem is will a coach be upfront with you about how many he/she is bringing in? Will you ever play? By the time you find out it's too late. UCONN men's had 5 or GKs last year and the new ones had no idea they were bringing in so many.
      Great point. I highly doubt that a lot of those mentioned above knew that they were going to be 1 of 16 coming in.

Comment

Great point. I highly doubt that a lot of those mentioned above knew that they were going to be 1 of 16 coming in.
        I would not be happy. Another reason to always pick academics/fit first. The odds of playing all four years, sometime ever, aren't great.

Comment

I would not be happy. Another reason to always pick academics/fit first. The odds of playing all four years, sometime ever, aren't great.
          And it’s another danger of early recruiting too, especially with coaches on the hot seat. Maryland got a new coach before last year and he brought in a class of 11.

Comment

Please stop with the early recruitment bashing and pro academic ranting. If a kid wanted to go to and had the grades to get admitted to an elite D3 academic institution they would, folks like some of you don't need to keep pushing the agenda. At this point most who visit the site get that you are big fans of D3. At that level you simply quit the team if the situation gets messy. At the D1 level it's not that simple. Nothing will screw a family's finances up worse than having a new coach come in a rip up their deal. It happens at D1 all the time and has very little to do with early recruitment. When you see a big recruiting class at the D1 level it usually means that there is some sort of transition going on within the program. Think about why a coach would want to turn over a roster. Good chance either it has a new coach or the existing coach is being put to the challenge by an AD. Neither are situations you probably want your kid involved with. If you knew enough to do your homework on the programs you were targeting there is a good chance you would see the warning signs and choose to ignore such programs even if they are a great academic fit. The sort of advice that puts academics above figuring out what is going on in the soccer program is precisely how you end up getting screwed by these types of situations.

Comment

Please stop with the early recruitment bashing and pro academic ranting. If a kid wanted to go to and had the grades to get admitted to an elite D3 academic institution they would, folks like some of you don't need to keep pushing the agenda. At this point most who visit the site get that you are big fans of D3. At that level you simply quit the team if the situation gets messy. At the D1 level it's not that simple. Nothing will screw a family's finances up worse than having a new coach come in a rip up their deal. It happens at D1 all the time and has very little to do with early recruitment. When you see a big recruiting class at the D1 level it usually means that there is some sort of transition going on within the program. Think about why a coach would want to turn over a roster. Good chance either it has a new coach or the existing coach is being put to the challenge by an AD. Neither are situations you probably want your kid involved with. If you knew enough to do your homework on the programs you were targeting there is a good chance you would see the warning signs and choose to ignore such programs even if they are a great academic fit. The sort of advice that puts academics above figuring out what is going on in the soccer program is precisely how you end up getting screwed by these types of situations.
              A VERY good post. if the fiances are a concern and soccer is your ticket, it HAS to lead the discussions. People who deny that are either in the rich camp or delusional.

Comment

A VERY good post. if the fiances are a concern and soccer is your ticket, it HAS to lead the discussions. People who deny that are either in the rich camp or delusional.
                Yes. Of the schools mentioned above, only Maryland is in a Power 5 with guaranteed athletic deals. With that many incoming you would have to think many returners had their #s slashed.

Comment

Yes. Of the schools mentioned above, only Maryland is in a Power 5 with guaranteed athletic deals. With that many incoming you would have to think many returners had their #s slashed.
                  When Morgan left Maryland, the program lsot a few recruits and some kids transferred. That place is not stable yet. Villanova lost Kulas and is also searching for an identity. they got in a few notable transfers and a YNT GK, but i expect some of those kids who "signed" NLIs are pref walkons who will not play

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    When Morgan left Maryland, the program lsot a few recruits and some kids transferred. That place is not stable yet. Villanova lost Kulas and is also searching for an identity. they got in a few notable transfers and a YNT GK, but i expect some of those kids who "signed" NLIs are pref walkons who will not play
                    Wrong. Relatively new coach at Maryland who had surprising - because of the league - success at Harvard before he was lured to Maryland. He is building the program. Great guy too.

Comment

Wrong. Relatively new coach at Maryland who had surprising - because of the league - success at Harvard before he was lured to Maryland. He is building the program. Great guy too.

Not wrong at all when Morgan left, they did lose players and some transferred.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2015/11...rps-head-coach

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...oston-college/

you admit he is building a program, ie not stable. I guess you just like to say wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Not wrong at all when Morgan left, they did lose players and some transferred.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2015/11...rps-head-coach

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...oston-college/

you admit he is building a program, ie not stable. I guess you just like to say wrong.
                        He is a new coach. Is this CH?

Comment

No, but who cares? The real point is how do you as a parent spot these potential situations in the making so that you might avoid them.

Comment

No, but who cares? The real point is how do you as a parent spot these potential situations in the making so that you might avoid them.
                            Excellent question. This is where a parent really needs to clue in on what the coach is saying and whether or not they are credible. Some college coaches are like used care salesmen. Teens, especially the younger you get, aren't going to be able to suss that out very well. they also tend to gloss over information and concentrate on the "Oh he likes me" part of the relationship. Doing some research on their old rosters can be helpful (you can find them online). Does he normally bring in big classes? How long do players last typically on the team? (obviously you want to avoid high turnover teams). How long has the coach been in place? What's the skew across the 4 classes on the roster (large number of seniors graduating)? Even check obvious sources like TDS or other websites to see if other players are saying they are committed to the same school. You can't always avoid it, but doing careful homework can lessen the odds.

Comment

Excellent question. This is where a parent really needs to clue in on what the coach is saying and whether or not they are credible. Some college coaches are like used care salesmen. Teens, especially the younger you get, aren't going to be able to suss that out very well. they also tend to gloss over information and concentrate on the "Oh he likes me" part of the relationship. Doing some research on their old rosters can be helpful (you can find them online). Does he normally bring in big classes? How long do players last typically on the team? (obviously you want to avoid high turnover teams). How long has the coach been in place? What's the skew across the 4 classes on the roster (large number of seniors graduating)? Even check obvious sources like TDS or other websites to see if other players are saying they are committed to the same school. You can't always avoid it, but doing careful homework can lessen the odds.
                              This is also where we dont help each other enough. Good honest unbiased information would be great, but there are just too many agendas. You need to lean on your Club resources as well but remember, some coaches like to push players in a certain direction for their own benefit.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X