Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How about the 15 team that left with coach to Stars GDA for starters ? Why travel to Lancaster...Young age won't be an issue and U17 should have little trouble recruiting 17 -19 girls in their PRIME recruiting years. I swear the crying that goes on here is unreal. Anyone of you would run if your 17 down kid could make that seacoast 17 team. Look at the coaches at the last showcase, 90% div 1.

Stars leaving was a blessing. This makes sense to me completely. In 3 years you all will be talking seacoast as a destination club. Mark my word

I agree with this post. It may take 2 years but I believe that there location will have a great impact on recruitment of talent. They will be able to draw from north of Boston, NH, and Maine. Lancaster is painful in terms of location but NEFC location is beyond pain for anyone north of Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      I agree with this post. It may take 2 years but I believe that there location will have a great impact on recruitment of talent. They will be able to draw from north of Boston, NH, and Maine. Lancaster is painful in terms of location but NEFC location is beyond pain for anyone north of Boston.
      That’s what they said about boys DA, and it’s been a very weak Academy. It’s a tough commute to NH.

Comment

That’s what they said about boys DA, and it’s been a very weak Academy. It’s a tough commute to NH.
        And BDA isn't competing against a well established league like ECNL. Many girls who wanted a higher level would have tried for it earlier (except for those really far out).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          And BDA isn't competing against a well established league like ECNL. Many girls who wanted a higher level would have tried for it earlier (except for those really far out).
          What happens to NPL? Will it be even weaker than this year?

Comment

What happens to NPL? Will it be even weaker than this year?
            NPL became #3 end of tryouts last year. That won't change unless there's a reverse migration of better players back to the clubs and league. And that won't change unless the competition and college exposure improves. Coaches won't come if the talent isn't there.

Given the current landscape what does NPL want to do? It should reposition itself, try to find a point of difference that attracts more clubs and players. Less travel and cost/ better price value could be very appealing. Sometimes the cost and travel now is nearly the same as the top two leagues but without the quality. How long will people be willing to do that? They need their own niche

Comment

Here's the larger issue: Tthe fact that they accepted Seacoast (and Oakwood for that matter) highlights the problems of GDAP. The numbers simply don't support a large league.

If the objective is to support the WNT, how many players are truly in that pool? 200-300 kids at each age level nationally? That rolls up to ~800-1200 kids across high school age groups.
              Assuming two age groups for HS aged kids, this would equate to ~20-30 clubs across the country. Currently there are 70!

Based on the soccer I've seen (my daughter has played for a top MA team), this region could support 1 MAYBE 2 GDAP clubs. By including additional clubs, you simply water down the product making it no different than ECNL or NPL.

With the dominance of NEFC/Breakers in the region, Seacoast will struggle to draw any numbers that make them competitive. MA kids will not drive to NH in any meaningful numbers and there are simply not enough kids in VT or ME to make a difference. It's more likely that Seacoast will lose some kids due to the requirement that they not play HS soccer. They would be best served by staying in the NPL and trying to move up the ladder there. (Same goes for Oakwood). The fact of the matter is in many age groups, Seacoast wouldn't be a top 10 club in MA, moving to GDAP won't help them. In fact it may hurt them.

Comment

Here's the larger issue: Tthe fact that they accepted Seacoast (and Oakwood for that matter) highlights the problems of GDAP. The numbers simply don't support a large league.

If the objective is to support the WNT, how many players are truly in that pool? 200-300 kids at each age level nationally? That rolls up to ~800-1200 kids across high school age groups.
                Assuming two age groups for HS aged kids, this would equate to ~20-30 clubs across the country. Currently there are 70!

Based on the soccer I've seen (my daughter has played for a top MA team), this region could support 1 MAYBE 2 GDAP clubs. By including additional clubs, you simply water down the product making it no different than ECNL or NPL.

With the dominance of NEFC/Breakers in the region, Seacoast will struggle to draw any numbers that make them competitive. MA kids will not drive to NH in any meaningful numbers and there are simply not enough kids in VT or ME to make a difference. It's more likely that Seacoast will lose some kids due to the requirement that they not play HS soccer. They would be best served by staying in the NPL and trying to move up the ladder there. (Same goes for Oakwood). The fact of the matter is in many age groups, Seacoast wouldn't be a top 10 club in MA, moving to GDAP won't help them. In fact it may hurt them.
                Agree 100%. As a Seacoast parent I can tell you that most parents are against it for these very reasons. However, Seacoast is pushing it hard and appealing to those certain parents who think their kids is a legit star. At least for year 1, they will probably get enough of an interest to create teams full of girls who don't belong in the GDA while at the same time weakening their NPL teams to the point they either cease to exist or are just plain horrible. Sad situation they're creating.

What's worse, most of the current NPL families, the ones that won't fall for this GDA nonsense, have zero desire to commute down to MA for another NPL opportunity. So those kids are losing an experience that up until now was good and challenging them at the right level.

Comment

Agree 100%. As a Seacoast parent I can tell you that most parents are against it for these very reasons. However, Seacoast is pushing it hard and appealing to those certain parents who think their kids is a legit star. At least for year 1, they will probably get enough of an interest to create teams full of girls who don't belong in the GDA while at the same time weakening their NPL teams to the point they either cease to exist or are just plain horrible. Sad situation they're creating.

What's worse, most of the current NPL families, the ones that won't fall for this GDA nonsense, have zero desire to commute down to MA for another NPL opportunity. So those kids are losing an experience that up until now was good and challenging them at the right level.
                  Is there another club in your area that is competitive? If not is seacoast holding all the cards then.

Comment

Is there another club in your area that is competitive? If not is seacoast holding all the cards then.
                    Not the two posters above (who are both right) but there are fewer options out that way. Those who wanted a higher level and were willing to do the driving have already moved. Maybe a few will move back? But face it, SU, like OW last year, is just a decent NPL club. If you're not going to greatly improve the coaching and talent, then all you're getting is the same training with a lot more travel and commitment. If my kid were really GDA material (she isn't) and wanted it (she doesn't), I'm not sure SU would be the club I'd chose. A buddy at OW said they really didn't get any good new players from outside the club. They all stayed ECNL. The fact that OW is in the middle of the standings just like it was in NPL tells me that at least the bottom of GDA is weak/basically NPL.

Comment

Not the two posters above (who are both right) but there are fewer options out that way. Those who wanted a higher level and were willing to do the driving have already moved. Maybe a few will move back? But face it, SU, like OW last year, is just a decent NPL club. If you're not going to greatly improve the coaching and talent, then all you're getting is the same training with a lot more travel and commitment. If my kid were really GDA material (she isn't) and wanted it (she doesn't), I'm not sure SU would be the club I'd chose. A buddy at OW said they really didn't get any good new players from outside the club. They all stayed ECNL. The fact that OW is in the middle of the standings just like it was in NPL tells me that at least the bottom of GDA is weak/basically NPL.
                      Ultimately why do any of you care about the quality of player playing beside your player because the range of talents on any club soccer team at this point really at any level is unhealthily broad. It’s not like the situations you are arguing for are any better. Not by any stretch of the imagination. When you boil everything down the ONLY advantage the GDA has over the other situations out there is for the totally committed college bound player is it OFFERS a framework that provides a higher workload. That’s really it. Now if your kid doesn’t want to work that hard or the doesn’t really follow the GDA program then neither should really be in the GDA. That’s a completely different discussion however. Some of you put way too much reliance on others to draw something out of your kid when the reality they always have to push that out of themselves regardless of who is around them or coaching them. At the barest level all the GDA does is give a serious player a place to work out.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X