Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just not true. My child came up through NEFC, and was constantly rotated through every position including GK from ages U9-U11. It was immensely important because they have played a different primary position for every coach they have played for ever since.
    Same with us with GPS. But, truthfully, it phased out by U11 mostly, with some exceptions. 1/2 - 2/3 of the team were pretty structured. I'm glad my kid was able to be exposed to lots of positions. Definitely helps her today

Comment

My daughter he always been a center mid. Sometimes center back when necessary. The reason she understands every position is not playing them, it’s getting up in the early morning hours to watch premier league with Dad and brothers as long as she can remember. Watch the game played by the best pros as much as possible and you’ll understand the game.

Comment

Just not true. My child came up through NEFC, and was constantly rotated through every position including GK from ages U9-U11. It was immensely important because they have played a different primary position for every coach they have played for ever since.
        No they don't . I have two boys one played u10 premiership division and my u12 plays academy . The same kids played the same positions. The U10 NEFC team wich had the U12 NEFC academy coach kept the same kids in the same position for the whole game. He subbed kids in but they played same position.

Comment

My daughter he always been a center mid. Sometimes center back when necessary. The reason she understands every position is not playing them, it’s getting up in the early morning hours to watch premier league with Dad and brothers as long as she can remember. Watch the game played by the best pros as much as possible and you’ll understand the game.
          Certainly helps, but there is no substitute for doing.

Comment

Please stop, it's embarrassing.

Comment

There’s a reason nobody talks about kids playing every position in football or baseball, kids grow up watching it, it’s part of our culture. If soccer were as big a part kids would understand it a lot better.

Comment

No they don't . I have two boys one played u10 premiership division and my u12 plays academy . The same kids played the same positions. The U10 NEFC team wich had the U12 NEFC academy coach kept the same kids in the same position for the whole game. He subbed kids in but they played same position.
                You're both right - how well a coach rotates or doesn't varies completely coach to coach, even within the same club. Some clubs do aspire to it more than others, but that doesn't mean it happens in reality.

Comment

Whoooosh, it went right over your head.

I get it's hard for some today to understand Total Football and it's impact on how to play. Doesn't mean we need to stop trying.
                  Total Football is about what you do when you don’t have the ball.
                  The Dutch spent 90% of their training on where to go without the ball...it does not mean your keeper is roaming about the pitch or your forward should be on the goal line.

Did you read about this in a book👌👌👌

Versatility is a catch phrase for “not sure where my kid should play”
                  U10 fine, but if they are not positionally sound later on, they might be versatile, but they ain’t starting.

Comment

There’s a reason nobody talks about kids playing every position in football or baseball, kids grow up watching it, it’s part of our culture. If soccer were as big a part kids would understand it a lot better.
                    Partially correct. They do know the fat kid is not going to the running back or wide receiver.

Folks here opine on stuff they know nothing about based on watching a couple of their kids matches; now they’re all experts.

They all sound like Trump or Bernie...

Comment

My kid is a striker/winger on his school team, #10 on his town travel team, and center half for his club. He does technical work with a local college coach.
                      Don't count on one coach (or club) to develop your kid.

Comment

Total Football is about what you do when you don’t have the ball.
                        The Dutch spent 90% of their training on where to go without the ball...it does not mean your keeper is roaming about the pitch or your forward should be on the goal line.

Did you read about this in a book������

Versatility is a catch phrase for “not sure where my kid should play”
                        U10 fine, but if they are not positionally sound later on, they might be versatile, but they ain’t starting.
                        Correct, and there should be no set positions, but rather fluidity of movement.

Overall, as you get older yes you will specialize in positions. Doesn't mean you can't, and shouldn't, switch as needed. Having that experience in all the roles will help you.

I played 4 years of D2 and rarely had a set position. Coach always penciled me in last and said he'd fill in the less flexible people first and then slot me where I was needed.

True, I was rarely the best person at any given position. I also started for 3 years and played consistently as a freshman. I'm happy how it went.

Comment

Correct, and there should be no set positions, but rather fluidity of movement.

Overall, as you get older yes you will specialize in positions. Doesn't mean you can't, and shouldn't, switch as needed. Having that experience in all the roles will help you.

I played 4 years of D2 and rarely had a set position. Coach always penciled me in last and said he'd fill in the less flexible people first and then slot me where I was needed.

True, I was rarely the best person at any given position. I also started for 3 years and played consistently as a freshman. I'm happy how it went.
                          Ever watch a U8-12 match with no set positions? Everyone wants to be the forward, no one wants to be the defender. Heck, even in 11v11 pick up matches, most don't want to play back or mid, just forward... unless the kid is poor technically or doesn't like to run/isn't fit. Even in competitive, structured matches, how often do you see kids playing back trying to dribble all the way up the field? Plenty... everyone thinks their messi. At some point, you put players in the position they are best suited for or at least don't suck at. It is then up to the player to learn and embrace the roles and responsibilities of the position. Not for nothing, but I have yet to see a defender as technically gifted as my midfielder kid. Doesn't mean they suck as a soccer player, just tackling is more important than dribbling shooting and to some degree passing for a defender than a midfielder. Play to their strengths and try to develop their weaknesses.

Comment

Ever watch a U8-12 match with no set positions? Everyone wants to be the forward, no one wants to be the defender. Heck, even in 11v11 pick up matches, most don't want to play back or mid, just forward... unless the kid is poor technically or doesn't like to run/isn't fit. Even in competitive, structured matches, how often do you see kids playing back trying to dribble all the way up the field? Plenty... everyone thinks their messi. At some point, you put players in the position they are best suited for or at least don't suck at. It is then up to the player to learn and embrace the roles and responsibilities of the position. Not for nothing, but I have yet to see a defender as technically gifted as my midfielder kid. Doesn't mean they suck as a soccer player, just tackling is more important than dribbling shooting and to some degree passing for a defender than a midfielder. Play to their strengths and try to develop their weaknesses.
                            Yes, I watched my kid go through the U8 through U12 age where they had no consistent set positions game-to-game.

But, you completely missed the point. Kids should be exposed to all positions and especially at that age, should play them all. I am not advocating a team of ten-year olds all abandon positional play and try to fluidly play all over the pitch. Over time, most players will gravitate to where they are best suited. That doesn't mean everytime they get onto the pitch in practice, the run to Right Back and say "this is all I know".

It's practice. Try something new. If you are a defender, play a little forward as you are learning. You'll learn how to attack someone...even if it's in their own third. You'll also learn how a forward takes on a defender...so you become better prepared.

Chest-puffing aside about your gifted central midfielder, that's not the point. Many defenders playing in the highest leagues in the world are incredibly gifted technically. Where do you think most goals come from? Crosses from the wing. Who do you think makes most of those crosses? A Back.

I'm actually a bit shocked how hard this is to grasp.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X