Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was that OP, and I can't disagree with it. Structure can go overboard.

That being said...how do we resolve it going forward?

Do we just see the big kid and make him the defender; and the small, fast kid the wing or forward?

Why can't the tallest kid be a striker? Makes a great target.

Why can't the small, fast kid be a wingback? Good luck trying to track them on overlaps.

I played in college with someone who was self-described as "ample". While he wasn't going to make dashing box-to-box runs, he could patrol the midfield in a Cazorla- or Pirlo-kinda' way. He could do everything and rarely venture inside either box.

Today, that kid's put in the back and told to just launch it.
    No, read the post.
    If the tall kid is comfortable at striker, play him there.
    If the little kid is a tenacious defender, play him there.
    The kids will show you where they want to play...job as coach is to recognize and nurture that skill set, not detract from it for the sake of “versatility”

The 6’5” bball player that can’t dribble should not be forced to dribble-play him where can excel.
    It’s not about physical size, it’s about the attributes the player brings to their most comfortable position.

Comment

Whoooosh, it went right over your head.

I get it's hard for some today to understand Total Football and it's impact on how to play. Doesn't mean we need to stop trying.
      you cant play total football with a limited skill set. you are putting the cart way before the horse. Step back. Kids dont start to learn how to master the ball and yet it straight into organized play. Its ***** backwards.

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...to-create.html

im a believer in his methods. It stars at home. Unstructured

Comment

No, read the post.
        If the tall kid is comfortable at striker, play him there.
        If the little kid is a tenacious defender, play him there.
        The kids will show you where they want to play...job as coach is to recognize and nurture that skill set, not detract from it for the sake of “versatility”

The 6’5” bball player that can’t dribble should not be forced to dribble-play him where can excel.
        It’s not about physical size, it’s about the attributes the player brings to their most comfortable position.
        How does the 6'5" bball player learn to dribble, if coach tells him to stand under the basket for layups?

How does a striker learn to close down and press, unless he has learned to defend?

How does a defender learn to attack (which is extremely vital in today's game) if he hasn't learned to defend?

How can a defender ask for help from someone, unless he understand the role and the responsibilities of the player he's asking?

You don't go by where kids want to play. The coach's job is to nurture all the skillsets, so you can have a well-rounded player.

Seriously, the more you type the more evident you really don't understand how the game is played. By the end of the day at this rate, I'm expecting "wait, you mean to tell me you can't use your hands???"....

Comment

you cant play total football with a limited skill set. you are putting the cart way before the horse. Step back. Kids dont start to learn how to master the ball and yet it straight into organized play. Its ***** backwards.

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...to-create.html

im a believer in his methods. It stars at home. Unstructured

Yes, if you are playing at home, and you are big kid...aren't you learning the skill sets from all positions (whether you know it or not). Think that big kid smashing a ball against the garage door is doing it because he's practicing clearances?

Comment

How does the 6'5" bball player learn to dribble, if coach tells him to stand under the basket for layups?

How does a striker learn to close down and press, unless he has learned to defend?

How does a defender learn to attack (which is extremely vital in today's game) if he hasn't learned to dribble and take people on?

How can a defender ask for help from someone, unless he understand the role and the responsibilities of the player he's asking?

You don't go by where kids want to play. The coach's job is to nurture all the skillsets, so you can have a well-rounded player.

Seriously, the more you type the more evident you really don't understand how the game is played. By the end of the day at this rate, I'm expecting "wait, you mean to tell me you can't use your hands???"....
            Edits in bold.

Comment

Whoooosh, it went right over your head.

I get it's hard for some today to understand Total Football and it's impact on how to play. Doesn't mean we need to stop trying.
              Many pro clubs and National teams have moved away from Total Football. It was cutting edge in the 70's and 80's and certainly led to some beautiful soccer in the 90's and 2000's, but soccer evolves. Today, possession for possession's sake doesn't win games and draw fans. Fast counterattacks and high scoring matches does. That requires attacking minded players. Look at Barca vs. Real Madrid this year in La Liga vs. Champions League. Two different styles, two different results in two different leagues. Guess where there is more money and prestige for results? If you guessed Champions League you would be correct. Neither Real Madrid, Liverpool, FC Bayern or Roma play "Total Football" and a pure possession game.

Comment

I may be an idiot, but I can comprehend what I read.
                “Play the kids everywhere during training”-what don’t you understand?
                “Put them where they can perform”-play them where they are comfortable and get better.

Do you force the math stud to take more English classes for versatility?
                Do you make the cellist play piano?

Soccer, at its core, is a strength in postion game. Of course, all must defend, all must shoot, but forwards in defensive box and defenders in attacking box are not keys to success.

Sorry that you haven’t discovered at what postion your child will excel but be sure to blame it on the coach.
                Going through this with my kid right now. Great player, excellent technically and tactically. Fitness and athleticism is good. System of play the coach has instituted this year has 10 players behind the ball defending. Was a creative, attacking-minded #10 previously. Now spends more time running in transition and doing the dirty work of defending in our half and sometimes as far back as our 18... as a #10. Rarely is in position with space and time when we possess because of the defending responsibilites and the time it takes to transition in attack, not to mention forwards who only ever turn into pressure and run until they either shoot or lose the ball.

Kid is frustrated, not getting many minutes now because the system of play and the kid's role in it doesn't work for my kid. This is with a coach who the club values and considers one of their best. Not every player is meant for every position and not every player can succeed in every system of play. On a team where the #10 has freedom of movement and freedom to be creative and focus on attacking while defending and pressuring in the attacking half or close to it, my kid is a genius. With the current team and system, essentially a box-to-box midfielder with heavy defensive responsibilities? Not so much... and I don't think any coaching will fix it. As they say, you can't put a round peg and in a square hole.

Comment

To add to the above, my kid is as versatile as they come. In the last 2 years in 11v11, kid has played for multiple teams (rostered and write-in) as the 1, 2, 6, 8, 7, 9, 10, and 11 and spends most of the time at the 10.

Bottom line, you have to take into account the personality and strengths of the players as well as their physical attributes, skill and knowledge. Even with versatility, the personality and mental aspects of the game don't lend themselves well to the system of play and the role. It means finding another team, club, coach or sucking it up and hoping things get better... club soccer is too short a period (and too expensive and time consuming) to just wait it out.

Comment

Many pro clubs and National teams have moved away from Total Football. It was cutting edge in the 70's and 80's and certainly led to some beautiful soccer in the 90's and 2000's, but soccer evolves. Today, possession for possession's sake doesn't win games and draw fans. Fast counterattacks and high scoring matches does. That requires attacking minded players. Look at Barca vs. Real Madrid this year in La Liga vs. Champions League. Two different styles, two different results in two different leagues. Guess where there is more money and prestige for results? If you guessed Champions League you would be correct. Neither Real Madrid, Liverpool, FC Bayern or Roma play "Total Football" and a pure possession game.
                    I never mentioned possession. Misconception that Barca today, or even in their heyday a few years back, played pure total football.

There is no reason why attacking, fluid ball has to mean sterile possession. Players moving about the pitch, making runs with the confidence of coverage behind, defenders getting forward, etc.

Great example on Madrid. Sure, Ronaldo gets the press. But to me, the most important player on that team is Marcelo. Generally a left-back, he can (and has) played anywhere from a 2 to an 8 (albeit not often). But, he came up in an attacking role before moving back because of his versatility. That's what we should be teaching.

Comment

Listen, y’all can blather on about Total Football and the styles of play of multiple European clubs. The bottom line when you bring it back to your kid, is that the more positions he/she can play and get comfortable on the field, the better. Yes they generally excel at one or two moreso than the others, but there is nothing worse than seeing a kid at an older age look completely lost and/or terrified in a position they get put in out of necessity. Those learning moments should be happening at U9-U12. The more versatile the player, the better it is for them, the team, and the coach. It makes them a better, more well rounded player, and more valuable to any team. Here’s the crux too ... a truly elite player can plug in anywhere and adjust and be effective. Doesn’t mean the will need to, just means the COULD.

Comment

Listen, y’all can blather on about Total Football and the styles of play of multiple European clubs. The bottom line when you bring it back to your kid, is that the more positions he/she can play and get comfortable on the field, the better. Yes they generally excel at one or two moreso than the others, but there is nothing worse than seeing a kid at an older age look completely lost and/or terrified in a position they get put in out of necessity. Those learning moments should be happening at U9-U12. The more versatile the player, the better it is for them, the team, and the coach. It makes them a better, more well rounded player, and more valuable to any team. Here’s the crux too ... a truly elite player can plug in anywhere and adjust and be effective. Doesn’t mean they will need to, just means they COULD.
                        Fixed the dropped “y’s“ in my last sentence.

Comment

Listen, y’all can blather on about Total Football and the styles of play of multiple European clubs. The bottom line when you bring it back to your kid, is that the more positions he/she can play and get comfortable on the field, the better. Yes they generally excel at one or two moreso than the others, but there is nothing worse than seeing a kid at an older age look completely lost and/or terrified in a position they get put in out of necessity. Those learning moments should be happening at U9-U12. The more versatile the player, the better it is for them, the team, and the coach. It makes them a better, more well rounded player, and more valuable to any team. Here’s the crux too ... a truly elite player can plug in anywhere and adjust and be effective. Doesn’t mean the will need to, just means the COULD.
                          No reason to knock how some people talk. Ultimately we are saying the same thing.

Some people say "Invest with your money". Some people say "Invest in low-risk securities and high-yield bonds" or what have you.

Some people say players should "freely move about the pitch and be versatile enough to play where they are standing". Some say "total football".

Comment

The village idiot is probably also a town 'coach'.
                            90% of Premier coaches , GPS, NEFC,. Aztecs etc don't rotate position at U9 in Lancaster . This is a fact. We played all these teams and none do it except for GK

Comment

No reason to knock how some people talk. Ultimately we are saying the same thing.

Some people say "Invest with your money". Some people say "Invest in low-risk securities and high-yield bonds" or what have you.

Some people say players should "freely move about the pitch and be versatile enough to play where they are standing". Some say "total football".

and i say moist payer a limited in where an how they can play by their lack of technical skill. most of you seem to think playing soccer is learning a position. i dont think it is.

Comment

90% of Premier coaches , GPS, NEFC,. Aztecs etc don't rotate position at U9 in Lancaster . This is a fact. We played all these teams and none do it except for GK
                                Just not true. My child came up through NEFC, and was constantly rotated through every position including GK from ages U9-U11. It was immensely important because they have played a different primary position for every coach they have played for ever since.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X