Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do college coaches pay much attention to U19?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do college coaches pay much attention to U19?

I have my reasons for asking and would greatly appreciate it anyone knew if college coaches pay much attention to U19 teams since I'm presuming most players have made commitments by then relative to U18. Another way of asking is which age are college coaches more likely to scout: U18 or U19? I think the obvious answer is U18 but would greatly appreciate any insight from someone (coach, scout) who truly knows. Thank you.

Originally posted by unregistered
    i have my reasons for asking and would greatly appreciate it anyone knew if college coaches pay much attention to u19 teams since i'm presuming most players have made commitments by then relative to u18. Another way of asking is which age are college coaches more likely to scout: U18 or u19? I think the obvious answer is u18 but would greatly appreciate any insight from someone (coach, scout) who truly knows. Thank you.
    u16-17

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      u16-17
      Thank you

Comment

Girls? Only ones doing any looking at U18s would be lowest level programs or if they lost a prior commit/had unexpected roster turnover. They'll check in with their recruits but that's about it.

Boys? Yes there's still recruiting going on well into senior year. Not top programs but it's not as wrapped up as it is with girls.

Comment

I have my reasons for asking and would greatly appreciate it anyone knew if college coaches pay much attention to U19 teams since I'm presuming most players have made commitments by then relative to U18. Another way of asking is which age are college coaches more likely to scout: U18 or U19? I think the obvious answer is U18 but would greatly appreciate any insight from someone (coach, scout) who truly knows. Thank you.
          All things said. If you contact a coach and they have some reason to believe you might be a player they might want, they’ll come watch a game. Especially if you are a kid playing up.

Comment

Boys side the U18's are the top priority while girls would be U17's. Boys U19's will get looks depending on what a coach needs. Offers are broken, kids transfer, kids quit last minute....so U19's could get some looks, but not many. Take a look at the Potomac brackets for this weekend. Notice how there are way less U19 teams. Also consider a u19 team won't want to travel since most of the team is either committed or the players have chosen not to play in college so it is hard to justify traveling to a showcase for 1 kid.

Comment

Coaches are interested in those kids(girls side)but understand there is little to no money left but they'll give you an opportunity to "walk on". Also understand they must be able to get into whatever school they're looking at with no help from the athletic dept. The coach will not use his influence with admissions on a player who may be an end of the roster player.

Comment

Boys side the U18's are the top priority while girls would be U17's. Boys U19's will get looks depending on what a coach needs. Offers are broken, kids transfer, kids quit last minute....so U19's could get some looks, but not many. Take a look at the Potomac brackets for this weekend. Notice how there are way less U19 teams. Also consider a u19 team won't want to travel since most of the team is either committed or the players have chosen not to play in college so it is hard to justify traveling to a showcase for 1 kid.
                Wow, you show a complete misunderstanding of the girls timeline. The game is almost over by U17.

Comment

Wrong yet again. What you don't understand is that coaches think in terms of school year NOT the birth year. On the boys side, ECNL is combined for 00/01 with many college coaches.

Comment

Wow, you show a complete misunderstanding of the girls timeline. The game is almost over by U17.
                    Wow, you are the one with a complete misunderstanding - U17 are mostly juniors and sophomores, those are the prime years for most colleges to recruit - but maybe you are talking about the kids you know who have been all recruited by freshman year. I don't understand why the need to rush people and scare them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      Boys side are not U18s. They are all committed. A lot of girls commit before U17s, as well, although the rules have changed. I think junior year will now become the year for most. For a few that may be U18, but for most it will be U17 and sometimes even U16.

Comment

Best thing that can happen to girls soccer is for the timeline to be more like the boys. Early recruiting isn't beneficial to players or programs

Comment

Best thing that can happen to girls soccer is for the timeline to be more like the boys. Early recruiting isn't beneficial to players or programs
                          Be honest. Did your child have a chance to commit early? Mine didn't, but if she had the opportunity to commit to a top school, however defined, I don't see how it would not be beneficial to the player.

Comment

Be honest. Did your child have a chance to commit early? Mine didn't, but if she had the opportunity to commit to a top school, however defined, I don't see how it would not be beneficial to the player.
                            If she wasn't ready to make such a commitment? Didn't really know for sure what she wanted? Didn't look at many other schools because she felt she had to take the early offer? Coach isn't a good judge of younger talent? Coach jumps the gun too early without seeing many other players? She's plateaued but doesn't realize it yet because she's still young? She checks out of school and/or soccer because she thinks she's done? Too early to get a good read on her grades and test scores, then can't get admitted and is left scrambling for the scrap offers still out there?

Yes, there's a lot of reasons why early recruiting is a bad idea. (not the op)

Comment

If she wasn't ready to make such a commitment? Didn't really know for sure what she wanted? Didn't look at many other schools because she felt she had to take the early offer? Coach isn't a good judge of younger talent? Coach jumps the gun too early without seeing many other players? She's plateaued but doesn't realize it yet because she's still young? She checks out of school and/or soccer because she thinks she's done? Too early to get a good read on her grades and test scores, then can't get admitted and is left scrambling for the scrap offers still out there?

Yes, there's a lot of reasons why early recruiting is a bad idea. (not the op)
                              You didn't answer the question posed by the other poster, so I would assume the answer is that his daughter did not have that opportunity. Of course every family has to balance all the things you said. I would say that everyone is in a different situation so it is hard to generalize.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X