• Show
Clear All

Foreign Born Players

Have you heard about the new foriegn born player registration requirement
    https://www.socceramerica.com/public...n-the-usa.html

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Have you heard about the new foriegn born player registration requirement
    https://www.socceramerica.com/public...n-the-usa.html
    This isn't new. Had to provide this information for the clearance process since at least 2015.

Comment

This isn't new. Had to provide this information for the clearance process since at least 2015.
      True but I don't think most clubs actually do it and now FIFA has a new system in place to check. I don't have a lot of experience with it but hear clearance can take upto six months.

Comment

True but I don't think most clubs actually do it and now FIFA has a new system in place to check. I don't have a lot of experience with it but hear clearance can take upto six months.
        We have a foreign born player two years ago and we were required to do it. Clearance was fast and easy. I guess if you don’t have necessary paperwork it could be challenging.

Comment

Any OYSA club is required to do this--otherwise the player doesn't get their card issued. It's not up to the club.

As to how hard it is to get clearance, depends on the circumstance of the player. Note that even foreign-born US citizens have to go through this.

AFAIK, this springs from FIFA requirements (trying to ensure that talented youth players aren't being exploited abroad); why it also applies to pay-to-play clubs is an interesting question. It's NOT a result of anything having to do with domestic US immigration policy. (This crap you can't blame on Trump).

Comment

Could this effect some current OYSA players? Could it also be used to find immigrants who aren’t here legally?

Comment

Could this effect some current OYSA players? Could it also be used to find immigrants who aren’t here legally?
              I don’t think you are understanding. Any current OYSA player who is foreign born has already done this. The rule has been in effect for years. So no it will not “affect” any current OYSA players.

Comment

I don’t think you are understanding. Any current OYSA player who is foreign born has already done this. The rule has been in effect for years. So no it will not “affect” any current OYSA players.
                Sure they have, wink wink. Please tell me that you are not naive.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you but not everything is a conspiracy. I am the parent of an adopted foreign born player and went through this process two years ago with her. OYSA made it very clear that she couldn’t get a card until we completed the process.

Comment

As part of the initial registration with an OYSA-affiliated club, parents will be required to submit a birth certificate or equivalent documentation, establishing place and time of birth. If the place of birth is not in the US, then international clearance is required--even, as stated above, for US citizens born abroad.

Since birth certificates don't include pictures (and a picture of someone as a newborn baby would be useless in any case), it's possible for unscrupulous families or clubs to cheat on a player's age--submitting documents for a younger sibling, for instance. But obtaining a fraudulent birth certificate would be much harder.

Generally, kids with problematic immigration or visa status play in "unaffiliated" leagues, of which there are plenty around.

If a child is in the country legally--even on a temporary basis--and the kid is with their parents and/or legal guardians, then clearance can almost always be obtained. Sometimes it takes longer--the hard cases are things like refugees from hostile or non-functioning states), but even exchange students and/or foreign kids who are here temporarily due to a parent's work assignment, can get clearance.

Comment

As part of the initial registration with an OYSA-affiliated club, parents will be required to submit a birth certificate or equivalent documentation, establishing place and time of birth. If the place of birth is not in the US, then international clearance is required--even, as stated above, for US citizens born abroad.

Since birth certificates don't include pictures (and a picture of someone as a newborn baby would be useless in any case), it's possible for unscrupulous families or clubs to cheat on a player's age--submitting documents for a younger sibling, for instance. But obtaining a fraudulent birth certificate would be much harder.

Generally, kids with problematic immigration or visa status play in "unaffiliated" leagues, of which there are plenty around.

If a child is in the country legally--even on a temporary basis--and the kid is with their parents and/or legal guardians, then clearance can almost always be obtained. Sometimes it takes longer--the hard cases are things like refugees from hostile or non-functioning states), but even exchange students and/or foreign kids who are here temporarily due to a parent's work assignment, can get clearance.
                      Agreed. Don't know why someone posts a "wink, wink."

Obviously the person knows nothing about FIFA rules for amateur status for all players and especially for those needing international clearance. The U.S. Soccerr requirements have changed throughout the years, but they've been in place even when I had players on my teams as far back as 1999. Player age determines steps necessary for clearance.

https://www.ussoccer.com/about/feder...intl-clearance

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you but not everything is a conspiracy. I am the parent of an adopted foreign born player and went through this process two years ago with her. OYSA made it very clear that she couldn’t get a card until we completed the process.
                        I don't doubt some follow the policies (not the poster btw). One of my kids was born abroad while I worked in Europe. We never had an issue with their registration even though they had an EU country BC. Once they went into DA we had to do it all. Prior to that I managed another child's team that had several foreign born players and never had to do extra paperwork for them. If the club was aware they certainly never said or did anything about it.

Anyway, bigger picture

1) shouldn't it be club's responsibility to insure proper paperwork is filed? Recent arrivals are unlikely to know or understand the rules or even know to look into it
                        2) penalizing families seems extremely unfair. Again, do they even know? The clubs should take the hit, not families. Has any family ever been hit by this absurdity?
                        3) Does anyone think this should only apply to DA and pro path players? All kids should be encouraged to play the sport, not have barriers put in front of them

just mho

Comment

I don't doubt some follow the policies (not the poster btw). One of my kids was born abroad while I worked in Europe. We never had an issue with their registration even though they had an EU country BC. Once they went into DA we had to do it all. Prior to that I managed another child's team that had several foreign born players and never had to do extra paperwork for them. If the club was aware they certainly never said or did anything about it.

Anyway, bigger picture

1) shouldn't it be club's responsibility to insure proper paperwork is filed? Recent arrivals are unlikely to know or understand the rules or even know to look into it
                          2) penalizing families seems extremely unfair. Again, do they even know? The clubs should take the hit, not families. Has any family ever been hit by this absurdity?
                          3) Does anyone think this should only apply to DA and pro path players? All kids should be encouraged to play the sport, not have barriers put in front of them

just mho
                          1) Yes, clubs should take care of this. Note that the process involves gathering of information. If a club you play for isn't handling this properly, they aren't following the rules.
                          2) How are players being penalized, other than having to produce documentation (and having their eligibility delayed)? AFAIK players aren't asked to pay for any of the fees involved.
                          3) I would agree to this. If it's a pay-to-play club, not a club where players are receiving subsidized training, this shouldn't apply. But I don't make the rules.

Comment

Anyway, bigger picture

just mho
                            There is assistance every step of the way and it's meant to protect everyone involved.

1) The club (President, registrar, and sometimes the team manager), the state's organization, and even an outside entity such as a church or social worker, help the family to ensure that all paperwork is in order. It is a process that takes time. Recent arrivals likely do not know what is involved and it is exactly why they receive guidance.

2) What do you mean by "penalizing families" and "clubs should take the hit"? Please see my item 3):

3) This checks-and-balances process is to verify that every player is the right age for the team (not younger, not older) AND that the player never played professionally in another country. Just like a verification process U.S./U.S. Territories-born players go through.

It takes longer for internationally-born players who arrive here, age 10 or older, because verification docs have to be requested of the birth country and then we have to wait for that country to return those certified docs. Sometimes these kids arrive without any proof of birth or a relative who can verify their birth date. - They've come from war-torn countries or escaped genocide.Sometimes counties simply choose not to respond. Then the state association gets someone to advocate on the player's behalf.

Comment

1) Yes, clubs should take care of this. Note that the process involves gathering of information. If a club you play for isn't handling this properly, they aren't following the rules.
                              2) How are players being penalized, other than having to produce documentation (and having their eligibility delayed)? AFAIK players aren't asked to pay for any of the fees involved.
                              3) I would agree to this. If it's a pay-to-play club, not a club where players are receiving subsidized training, this shouldn't apply. But I don't make the rules.
                              FIFA claims it's to prevent kids basically being trafficked one club to the next. That really only applies at the MLS DA level. The rest of youth soccer - 99.9999% of players - this shouldn't be necessary to play. Some of the best players my kids have played with are immigrants. There should be no barriers to playing

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X