Bio-Banding Coming to OYSA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are there so many morons in one state?

Biobanding is meant to improve efficiency in player selection, full stop. In places like Spain they don't need it because there are fewer morons. In fact, they wouldn't even understand the problem if you explained it to them because they're too busy trying to find the next Iniesta.

Here? Biobanding is necessary to counteract the influence of the "bigger, faster, stronger" crowd. Don't understand it it? Good, then it's hitting the mark. It's literally a policy aimed at preventing people like you from mucking up the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      That’s why you don’t let the corporate suits name decisions without the operations guys.

Bio-banding in youth soccer = Microsoft Vista.
      Bio-banding is Microsoft Vista? Perfect analogy.

US Soccer has lost it's way. They are afraid to figure out what has been successful in the past and instead are trying to create their own new success.

They will have plenty of time to draft position papers and bring in consultants during the World Cup this year since they won't have to worry about participating.

Comment

I do not exaggerate when I say that this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Without exception. Yes I read the whole thing. If you break it down they are really just grouping kids beaded on size and predicted size. Do they realize how incredibly offensive this could be for girls?

Every time I think US Soccer has reached a new low, they surprise me by going even lower. This is what happens when you try to learn out of a MBA program instead of real life experience.
        I agree. This is way out there.

Consultants: (In an English accent) Let's make a suit out of iron because iron will last longer than cotton/poly blends.

US Soccer: "Great idea consultants"

Consultants: "That will be $50,000 please".

US Soccer: "Do you take Visa or MasterCard?"

Comment

Rather have your slow and unathletic kid work to get better, let's continue to make excuses for why your kid is on the "C" team. It is soccer in USA. If they are not on the "A" team right now independent of size, they have no future in the sport beyond HS soccer.

I think the anger of your kid on the "C" team is misdirected.
          Obviously you have no idea who I am, or my kid is.

But that's OK--in a few years, when everyone's in high school, my kid will still be on the A team wherever he is playing (whether club or HS). Yours, no longer able to push everyone around because his/her peers have caught up in physical development, and lacking the touch and skill needed for continual success due to years with a bootball coach, will be on the junior varsity squad, wondering what the hell happened.

And then you'll understand, and know why he/she should have played up. Too bad, he/she will never get those years of development back.

Comment

I agree. This is way out there.

Consultants: (In an English accent) Let's make a suit out of iron because iron will last longer than cotton/poly blends.

US Soccer: "Great idea consultants"

Consultants: "That will be $50,000 please".

US Soccer: "Do you take Visa or MasterCard?"
            This is a way for the weak, smaller kids to match up against each other instead of having to compete against the athletic, fast, strong kids. Might open up the market for money kids participating.

Comment

Bio-banding is Microsoft Vista? Perfect analogy.

US Soccer has lost it's way. They are afraid to figure out what has been successful in the past and instead are trying to create their own new success.
              Nice try. They've never been successful in the past and are falling even farther behind. These innovations are merely meant to try and catch up to other countries.

Comment

This is a way for the weak, smaller kids to match up against each other instead of having to compete against the athletic, fast, strong kids. Might open up the market for money kids participating.
                Great idea. Put them in a bubble and only let them compete against kids that are also weak and slow. More level playing ground.

Comment

Nice try. They've never been successful in the past and are falling even farther behind. These innovations are merely meant to try and catch up to other countries.
                  Women have done alright in the past without US Soccer.

Comment

Obviously you have no idea who I am, or my kid is.

But that's OK--in a few years, when everyone's in high school, my kid will still be on the A team wherever he is playing (whether club or HS). Yours, no longer able to push everyone around because his/her peers have caught up in physical development, and lacking the touch and skill needed for continual success due to years with a bootball coach, will be on the junior varsity squad, wondering what the hell happened.

And then you'll understand, and know why he/she should have played up. Too bad, he/she will never get those years of development back.
                    Lighten up Francis...

I don't think you have a clue what is going on. If a kid is big and plays bootball, he will likely make varsity his freshman year in HS.

Kids should play up to there ability. You don't need US Soccer or OYSA to tell you where your kid is at in his/her growth cycle to determine what level he/she should play.

Great idea to group small and slow kids together. It is called the "C" team. If you kid is already on the "A" team then why would you want to dumb it down?

Comment

Lighten up Francis...

I don't think you have a clue what is going on. If a kid is big and plays bootball, he will likely make varsity his freshman year in HS.

Kids should play up to there ability. You don't need US Soccer or OYSA to tell you where your kid is at in his/her growth cycle to determine what level he/she should play.

Great idea to group small and slow kids together. It is called the "C" team. If you kid is already on the "A" team then why would you want to dumb it down?
                      Bio-banding only looks at current height of the child and compares it to that of the parents to determine where in growth/maturity curve they are. Might work better than what we have now. Might not. But we'll never find out in Oregon because there are too many cavemen with big cavegirl daughters dominating OYSA at U10/U11 for this to get any traction.

Comment

This is hilarious. When you bring in fancy consultants this is the kind of clunkers you get.

Comment

Lighten up Francis...

Depends on the high school. A lot of local soccer programs are lousy--but a bootball playing freshman, even if physically mature, is going to get destroyed a lot of seniors.

Kids should play where they are challenged. Obviously if a kid is playing up a year and still dominating, there's not much that can be done... but lots of middle-schoolers who should be playing up aren't; instead trying for the golden boot in their club. In the DA program especially, this is problematic.

Many of these kids are skilled as well, but their coaches and parents are doing them a disservice.

C teams are for unskilled kids. That includes those who are sufficiently unathletic that they cannot compete in higher levels, even if technically sound, but most C teamers have significiant deficiencies in their games unrelated to size, speed, or athleticism.

MY kid, I'm not worried about--going against the monsters is probably good for him. He's in the middle of the growth range. As the article notes, the kids screwed by this are a) the early bloomers who aren't challenged, and b) the late bloomers who get cut or demoted, and no longer get to enjoy the developmental challenges of top-flight teammates and competition.

But too many coaches--and parents--are focused on wins rather than on long-term development, with the result that some kids who probably should be on the A team based on skill, instead find themselves on the B team. (And this, unfortunately, includes our club). I bet an eighth DA team could be fielded strictly from the top 2-3 players on all the DA club's B teams, and that it would at least be reasonably competitive with the right coach.

Comment

Bio-banding only looks at current height of the child and compares it to that of the parents to determine where in growth/maturity curve they are. Might work better than what we have now. Might not. But we'll never find out in Oregon because there are too many cavemen with big cavegirl daughters dominating OYSA at U10/U11 for this to get any traction.
                            Bands are based primarily on PHV

Comment

Bands are based primarily on PHV
                              Bands in this context only apply to community colleges that have on campus housing. If the on campus housing is full service then you must complete the diaband outline form and enter to the national database com-link. If you don't you do this cannot offer athletic based financial assistance to anyone.

Comment

Women have done alright in the past without US Soccer.
                                The women have succeeded because half of all female soccer players in the world reside in the US. It's mostly a numbers game and not superior methods that have fueled their success. They're very talented, but the competition isn't even on the same planet as the men's side.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X