Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bio-Banding Coming to OYSA

Finally all the overgrown gorillas will get lumped together so they can thugball each other out of existence all day long

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...ing-initiative

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Finally all the overgrown gorillas will get lumped together so they can thugball each other out of existence all day long

I do not exaggerate when I say that this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Without exception. Yes I read the whole thing. If you break it down they are really just grouping kids beaded on size and predicted size. Do they realize how incredibly offensive this could be for girls?

Every time I think US Soccer has reached a new low, they surprise me by going even lower. This is what happens when you try to learn out of a MBA program instead of real life experience.

Comment

Every time I think US Soccer has reached a new low, they surprise me by going even lower. This is what happens when you try to learn out of a MBA program instead of real life experience.
      Let's work this problem, friend. Couple of questions: Do you think US Soccer came up with this idea? Do you know why biobanding exists? Do you know why a state like OR needs initiatives like this in particular? Do you know what relative age effect is? Do you know why it's bad?

Let's start there, because I'm guessing that you actually have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

I do not exaggerate when I say that this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Without exception. Yes I read the whole thing. If you break it down they are really just grouping kids beaded on size and predicted size. Do they realize how incredibly offensive this could be for girls?

I didn’t think US Soccer could get any dumber. I was wrong. How many of us have seen that giant fourth grader who ends up average or less than average sized? Or in the case of my daughter a kid who went from being one of the smallest on her team to one of the biggest. This is stupid and offensive so naturally US Soccer will embrace it.

Comment

This is so dumb. First it was the age group change then it was the DA and now "bio banding"

Now youth teams will literally be sorted out by penis and breast size.

The overgrown gorilla statement tells me that you have not watched much youth soccer. Most of the top players on each team are not the largest players. The large players or any players for that matter that dominate are usually playing up in age group.

Comment

I didn’t think US Soccer could get any dumber. I was wrong. How many of us have seen that giant fourth grader who ends up average or less than average sized? Or in the case of my daughter a kid who went from being one of the smallest on her team to one of the biggest. This is stupid and offensive so naturally US Soccer will embrace it.
            Show me your research that made you arrive at dumb. Has this been done before? Where? When? What were the results? Does PHV grouping have merit?

Comment

Article talks about a US Soccer pilot project... but nowhere is OYSA mentioned, nor is this becoming mandatory for member associations.

One question, not answered: just how is a child's bio band determined?

Comment

Show me your research that made you arrive at dumb. Has this been done before? Where? When? What were the results? Does PHV grouping have merit?
                The only person possibly defending this is an OYSA staffer or intern. I don’t need to do your research for you so I’ll just point out the glaringly obvious. Size does not equal talent or ability. Many of the world’s best players have been undersized. Pigeonholing players based on size takes away one of the advantages smaller players have - they need to learn to play a smart game to make up for their physical shortcomings. Smaller players often end up being the strongest players post puberty because they have learned to play a smarter game and not rely solely on being the biggest/fastest kid on the pitch. This cockamamie idea takes away the opportunity for these late bloomers to learn good habits at a young age. Not to mention the inherent flaws in looking at a kid and his/her parents and making a judgment call about their size. My husband is 5’11 and I am 5’4”. Our son is 6’3” and our daughter is 5’9”. Believe me none of us saw that coming and both kids were very late bloomers.

Comment

The only person possibly defending this is an OYSA staffer or intern. I don’t need to do your research for you so I’ll just point out the glaringly obvious. Size does not equal talent or ability. Many of the world’s best players have been undersized. Pigeonholing players based on size takes away one of the advantages smaller players have - they need to learn to play a smart game to make up for their physical shortcomings. Smaller players often end up being the strongest players post puberty because they have learned to play a smarter game and not rely solely on being the biggest/fastest kid on the pitch. This cockamamie idea takes away the opportunity for these late bloomers to learn good habits at a young age. Not to mention the inherent flaws in looking at a kid and his/her parents and making a judgment call about their size. My husband is 5’11 and I am 5’4”. Our son is 6’3” and our daughter is 5’9”. Believe me none of us saw that coming and both kids were very late bloomers.
                  I don't work for OYSA, and I think the idea is interesting.

But unlike the title suggests, this is not coming to Oregon youth soccer anytime soon.

Comment

How many “some of the best players in the world” has the U.S. produced?

Zero.

Why?

Because jackazz coaches pick the biggest, fastest and most athletic players to win games. There are many players that are left behind from U9-U-14 due to size. Most of these players grow into phenomenal athletes but become average soccer players. Why is this? Because the dumb azz coaches don’t think about developing for the future they think about winning the next state cup.

Bio-banding negates this. I think bio banding should begin in small pockets within the club environment. It will not only challenge the players but it will also help educate parents where their child truly is.

Comment

I’m laughing but not in a good way. Bio-banding is like using a flamethrower to get rid of a mosquito. Ridiculous. This idea was probably hatched in work group that included highly paid consultants that have never successfully coached or developed youth.

Comment

How many “some of the best players in the world” has the U.S. produced?

Zero.

Why?

Because jackazz coaches pick the biggest, fastest and most athletic players to win games. There are many players that are left behind from U9-U-14 due to size. Most of these players grow into phenomenal athletes but become average soccer players. Why is this? Because the dumb azz coaches don’t think about developing for the future they think about winning the next state cup.

Bio-banding negates this. I think bio banding should begin in small pockets within the club environment. It will not only challenge the players but it will also help educate parents where their child truly is.
                        Not sure if you realize that picking the biggest, fastest, and most athletic kid is not new to just soccer. It actually plays a bigger part in selection for other sports.

The smaller, slower, and less athletic kids face the same biases when they go off to other sports. If you are talking about developing the future then would you want to pick the kid that you think has the most potential for size, speed, and athleticism if all things are equal? If you are small then you have to excel at something else that makes you a better pick then the bigger kid. I have seen plenty of small kids excel in soccer and picked for top teams. This is life. It may not always seem fair, but it is life.

Comment

Sounds like some hulk's mama is afraid her snowflake will get cut if this goes through.

Comment

Sounds like some hulk's mama is afraid her snowflake will get cut if this goes through.
                            Rather have your slow and unathletic kid work to get better, let's continue to make excuses for why your kid is on the "C" team. It is soccer in USA. If they are not on the "A" team right now independent of size, they have no future in the sport beyond HS soccer.

I think the anger of your kid on the "C" team is misdirected.

Comment

That’s why you don’t let the corporate suits name decisions without the operations guys.

Bio-banding in youth soccer = Microsoft Vista.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X