Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    For what it's worth, I am immediately suspicious of any post where the OP states that his kid isn't getting playing time due to politics or favoritism or whatever. I think it's entirely likely that his kid just isn't playing at the level of her teammates, and mom/dad can't see it due to their understandable parental bias.

If that's the case, then this parent needs to take a step back and re-examine his/her priorities and how they mesh with the player's priorities. Player is happy on the team with her friends? You can afford ECNL? I'm not sure why to change then - except that it seems like PARENTS are not happy watching her not play much. Does player have the desire to get better and earn more playing time, or is she content just being on the team? This is an important distinction.

None of the above can be solved by hopping to the (alleged) greener grass of GDA. There's a girl on the younger academy team who left CU's ECNL team due to lack of playing time caused by "poor coaching decisions." She is now riding the pine (OP's words, not mine - I don't like that phrase) at GDA and didn't even travel with them to Vancouver. In her case, all changing clubs did was reinforce that whatever the ECNL coaches were seeing that they didn't like, the academy coaches are seeing too. That requires a bit of self-reflection and humility to digest and process, and if the parents' constant knee-jerk reaction is to hop to another team when things get tough, you will experience very little growth - both as a soccer player and as a person.

Now, the original question is - is it better to be a bench player on an ECNL team or a GDA team? Keeping in mind that fit and chemistry and what works for a family are all important and very individualized things to consider, I would say ECNL - because their substitution rules are more liberal, meaning you have more opportunities to get in the game even briefly; because with the expense of travel there's a chance you'll get to play if teammates opt out of a trip due to cost (crass, but it's a reality); and because with the clubs playing in the ECNL league having OYSA teams, there are playing opportunities besides the ECNL team. With GDA, only 14 girls will play in every game and if you aren't close to top 14, you may rarely play; with free travel no one will be opting out of trips; and with no "lower" team, you have no other place to play but on the GDA team.

If the kid has more friends on the GDA squad, and wants to play there, and doesn't care about playing time, OR they want to play on one of the three "elite" clubs in the state, and finances are an issue, I think GDA would be a better choice.

My two cents...
    I understand your suspicions about my post and your assumption that I am unable to see any deficiencies in my daughter. However, if you think that roster decisions for each ECNL or GDA match is void of politics, then you need a reality check. You must be a coach if you think all of your decisions on rosters are based entirely on merit.

You mentioned the player who moved from CU to GDA. I wish I could have advised that family not to make that move. I already know players 1-14 are already set on the GDA. Most of them have been with the Timbers teams and ODP programs for years. Same issues with GDA that you have with ECNL. I don't know their circumstance but just because two coaches from Oregon (from CU ECNL and GDA) might have assessed that player as a bench player doesn't mean that that kid isn't talented or has potential. Talent identification is really tricky at the youth levels and knowing the quality of the coaches in Oregon, I definitely cannot say that just because the CU and GDA coaches put that player on the bench, doesn't mean that she isn't talented. You see this all the time in professional soccer. A player sucks at two clubs and thrives at another.

I disagree that it is better to be a bench warmer at ECNL than GDA. Just because you are rostered on a travel trip for ECNL, doesn't mean you will get "in the game even briefly." I know some players who got a total of 10 minutes (5 minutes in one game and one in another) on a travel trip for ECNL. It's ridiculous for the parent or coach to think that 10 minutes is worth $800 for a travel trip (unless you have money to burn).

My recommendation is that that player who is a benchwarmer with ECNL or GDA does not jump from one situation to another. She should look at a non-ECNL or non-GDA club that travels to showcases or tournaments. That's if she really wants to play college soccer.

Comment

This is the unfortunate thing, players 1-14 are not the top players. A few never were and play time was heavily parent influenced. Maybe six are that good..the rest who were good last July are not looking good anymore. Zero growth while others who have sought outside training have grown.
      Outside training with who one of the DA coaches HAHAHA GL give me a break he is about as bad as they come.

PG is all smoke and mirrors

MJ Scary dude stay away from

Joa another smoke and mirrors

or is it those kids where never that good to begin with or can't grab the concepts of what coaches are teaching. Kids will do well IF they can.......simple fact about brain development!

Comment

I understand your suspicions about my post and your assumption that I am unable to see any deficiencies in my daughter. However, if you think that roster decisions for each ECNL or GDA match is void of politics, then you need a reality check. You must be a coach if you think all of your decisions on rosters are based entirely on merit.

You mentioned the player who moved from CU to GDA. I wish I could have advised that family not to make that move. I already know players 1-14 are already set on the GDA. Most of them have been with the Timbers teams and ODP programs for years. Same issues with GDA that you have with ECNL. I don't know their circumstance but just because two coaches from Oregon (from CU ECNL and GDA) might have assessed that player as a bench player doesn't mean that that kid isn't talented or has potential. Talent identification is really tricky at the youth levels and knowing the quality of the coaches in Oregon, I definitely cannot say that just because the CU and GDA coaches put that player on the bench, doesn't mean that she isn't talented. You see this all the time in professional soccer. A player sucks at two clubs and thrives at another.

I disagree that it is better to be a bench warmer at ECNL than GDA. Just because you are rostered on a travel trip for ECNL, doesn't mean you will get "in the game even briefly." I know some players who got a total of 10 minutes (5 minutes in one game and one in another) on a travel trip for ECNL. It's ridiculous for the parent or coach to think that 10 minutes is worth $800 for a travel trip (unless you have money to burn).

My recommendation is that that player who is a benchwarmer with ECNL or GDA does not jump from one situation to another. She should look at a non-ECNL or non-GDA club that travels to showcases or tournaments. That's if she really wants to play college soccer.
        Thank you for your polite and thoughtful reply. I absolutely agree that coaches, being human, are subject to bias and preconceived ideas and may make decisions based on those things. What is a red flag to me is parents who always point to that instead of honestly (and yes, painfully) assessing their kid's skills and contributions. My DD has been playing club soccer for many years now, and every year there are parents who say the coaches have favorites and that's why their kid isn't playing...instead of seeing that the kid can't move with the ball, or can't get a good touch, or has poor fitness, or gets knocked off the ball every time she goes in for contact. I'm not saying that you are one of those parents, but blaming coaches is (for me) a red flag.

My personal feeling is if your kid is a benchwarmer, neither ECNL nor GDA is a good fit. Those clubs/leagues/teams/whatever you want to call them require a great deal of individual and family sacrifice to make work. BUT, if the kid is happy on the ECNL team with her friends, and the kid isn't upset about the playing time, or the kid isn't willing to make changes to improve and make it to where the coach has no choice but to play her more, and the parents can afford the ECNL team, why not stay. Ultimately 99% of these kids will be done playing soccer in college or sooner. If you have the means and the kid is happy, that's really all that matters. But in principal, I agree with you. If my kid was struggling to get off the bench on an ECNL team, we wouldn't be considering GDA. We would be looking at which OYSA club would be a good fit for her. Which again, may make the clubs with ECNL programs more desirable. If this particular kid is already in the Crossfire or FCP pipeline, the transition from the ECNL squad to the OYSA "A" team won't be quite as painful or dramatic.

Comment

There are several reasons why a coach might prefer one player to another (none of these comments should be construed as applying to your DD):

1) Legitimate assessment of skill, conditioning, work rate, attitude, commitment. Some coaches prefer the less-talented worker over the talented flake; others the reverse.

2) Preference for a given style of play. Some coaches prefer technical players over good athletes, others value passing ability over skill at dribbling and shooting, others figure you can't teach speed and like kids who are fast. This can even vary within a club.

3) Yes, politics.

Comment

The problem is, has been and will always be that Oregon eats its soccer young. Honestly, think about it. PDA/PDP at 7 and 8 yoa. Then on to the U11 team, where your child will play with some of their "besties" and be happy, and even love the game. Then, U12....where it all changes. ODP, NWSL, FWRL, ODp...kids gain exposure and their parents see the BRIGHT LIGHTS and realize that this is it! Their child is a prodigy, and of course they just need to make a move to a better club who can help the prodigy reach their potential. Sadly, all that happens is that a bunch of insincere and fast talking coaches tell the kids and parents what they want to hear and in essence convince the poor lemmings that they are the ticket to their child's future. ECNL was around first, and it was quickly dismissed as the Malibu Barbie option. Of course, this not far off the mark, as the team's are not all that racially diverse. So, right away ECNL is marginalized. Then the Thorns academy....Well, clearly the Timbers/Thorns are involved, so it is not trustworthy. Of course the TA is where all the poor but more athletic kids go to play. So far superior to ECNL. Now GDA....however, our young 11 year old girls are now 16-17 and some are burned out on soccer, but hanging in because what else can they do? What is their identity without soccer? They have been devoted, sacrificed, and committed to a way of life that has so far resulted in being that they play for the wrong team, wrong coach, wrong league, and oh wait for it.. the wrong state.

This is exactly where a lot of people reading this are right now. Their daughter is a sophomore/Freshman. Most of these girls played high school soccer last year and enjoyed it. Sure, the soccer was not great. The conditioning was more along the lines of a 1950's football training camp program, and the style of play was kick it and run...but the girls had fun and enjoyed themselves. Why? Because for the first time they were not playing for a club. They were not a consumer who could chase a coach, or a club, or a league. They just... played for their school with old and new friends. I am more concerned that my daughter still enjoys soccer at 20 years of age, than I am if she is still playing. Our daughter's should be the focus. Not the club...not the coach...not the...league...not the state. Think back to juice boxes, apple slices and Graham Crackers. I bet you smile when you think of those days. Girl power...matching ir bands, or bows. That is real soccer.
            Agreed. Every child is different and interests change-even when they are at college.
            You didn't say how old your daughter is so I commend you for being thoughtful and considerate of her wants and needs. Especially on the girls' side, bonding and friendship is key to their success on and off the field.

If she loves the club and knows people on the non-ECNL team and likes the coach, then maybe that tryout is the next thing for her. Of course ECNL and GDA tryouts are before club tryouts, but consider watching other teams/other coaches during state cup games.

I know that our daughter's coach is much loved and he has his three teams train together. They also have a lot of fun doing other non-soccer things together. Most of the seniors have committed to colleges and some have opted to focus on school and maybe do the college club soccer teams instead. Their coach is a college coach too and has done a great job in sending them to showcases and hosting scrimmages here with recruiters watching them.

Energy, positivity, bonding, laughter, hard work, and getting down to business.

Plenty of good teams out there to allow your daughter and you time and options. Best of luck!

Comment

Maybe ECNL isn't the answer if your daughter is riding the pine. ECNL competition is not for the faint of heart. GDA may be a better options because not that many top level clubs are joining so your daughter may thrive in the lower tier of players, but then you have to balance no Hs sports
              Really? That is what you took away from that post? An opportunity to imply that ECNL is too competitive for somebody else's child..not yours of course. You do realize that Oregon ECNL teams have not fared all that well, correct? Maybe somebody should mention to you that your daughter needs a little lower level of competition in order to find her niche? Think before you speak or type. I have no doubt that if your identity was k own, ithers would be like, "Oh their daughter is not talented enough for high leavel soccer. She has a great personality though!"

Comment

Really? That is what you took away from that post? An opportunity to imply that ECNL is too competitive for somebody else's child..not yours of course. You do realize that Oregon ECNL teams have not fared all that well, correct? Maybe somebody should mention to you that your daughter needs a little lower level of competition in order to find her niche? Think before you speak or type. I have no doubt that if your identity was k own, ithers would be like, "Oh their daughter is not talented enough for high leavel soccer. She has a great personality though!"
                A big problem in high-level soccer--what to do with the "bubble" players: Players who are a) good enough to not be cut outright, b) who with training and exposure to fast games might improve, c) who are good enough to play as an emergency substitute (or in a blowout) without getting embarrassed, but d) who aren't good enough to crack the regular rotation.

Every team needs some of these players. Some may improve, some coaches like "suzie on the bench may take your job if you don't perform" as motivation technique, and teams need to have benches. OTOH, having too many of these players may be unfair, and/or a way to exploit gullible parents for extra cash. (A good ethical guideline for coaches--if you feel this player won't ever be good enough to contend for a rotation spot; pretending otherwise is not ethical). On the third hand, some parents won't take no for an answer.

In younger ages, there is benefit to being a bubble player even if you don't play much--the training your child will receive likely will be better than on a B team. For ECNL, on the other hand, where the primary value is exposure to college scouts (any claim that ECNL coaching is superior should be dismissed as puffery); taking kids' money and then chaining them to the bench is unfair. If ECNL is truly to be about putting girls in front of recruiters, perhaps "rec" substitution patterns might be in order: at showcase events, everyone plays, wins be damned. Granted, increased exposure might not benefit some girls, but if a girl's quality is such that exposure to scouts does her more harm than good, she probably shouldn't be playing in a recruitment-focused league to begin with.

Comment

Thank you for chiming in. I wasn't the one who posted "ECNL is not for the faint of heart." I was the one who started the whole thread on "questions to ECNL parents who have daughters riding the pine." Without revealing my identity, I will share with you that we are very familiar with 75% of the players on GDA and the same for both ECNL teams. There is tremendous talent on both ECNL teams as well as the GDA team. I am a bit tired of each side (ECNL and GDA) cutting each other down. Both sides have confirmation bias, so it is difficult to participate in a rationale discussion with any side. I will tell you that RIGHT NOW, ECNL league is extremely competitive and although our two ECNL teams don't show great results, the games they play are really competitive. Both teams might lose by one or two points at the most, so they aren't being killed in the matches, nor are the other teams they play dominating. ECNL is a fantastic program for players #1-#14. They get the exposure they need to colleges and the level of play is superior. GDA is too new for me to have an opinion but I do know that players #1-#14 on GDA are really good. The ones who suffer the most are the benchwarmers who show up to every practice, train outside of practice, attend every game without getting any minutes, and attend every travel trip without getting minutes and paying $600-$800 for each trip. They watch their #1-#14 teammates play the game they love, and it diminishes their morale and their confidence. I know because my daughter is a benchwarmer on an ECNL team. I'm reaching out to folks on this post who might be considering ECNL or GDA. I feel it is my duty to warn them and spare their daughters any misery as I know tryouts are around the corner. Again, players #1-#14 are already identified on all ECNL and GDA teams. If you are 100% confident your daughter is better than players #1-#14 then go for it ,but if you don't have 100% confidence, don't go to those tryouts.

Comment

A big problem in high-level soccer--what to do with the "bubble" players: Players who are a) good enough to not be cut outright, b) who with training and exposure to fast games might improve, c) who are good enough to play as an emergency substitute (or in a blowout) without getting embarrassed, but d) who aren't good enough to crack the regular rotation.

Every team needs some of these players. Some may improve, some coaches like "suzie on the bench may take your job if you don't perform" as motivation technique, and teams need to have benches. OTOH, having too many of these players may be unfair, and/or a way to exploit gullible parents for extra cash. (A good ethical guideline for coaches--if you feel this player won't ever be good enough to contend for a rotation spot; pretending otherwise is not ethical). On the third hand, some parents won't take no for an answer.

In younger ages, there is benefit to being a bubble player even if you don't play much--the training your child will receive likely will be better than on a B team. For ECNL, on the other hand, where the primary value is exposure to college scouts (any claim that ECNL coaching is superior should be dismissed as puffery); taking kids' money and then chaining them to the bench is unfair. If ECNL is truly to be about putting girls in front of recruiters, perhaps "rec" substitution patterns might be in order: at showcase events, everyone plays, wins be damned. Granted, increased exposure might not benefit some girls, but if a girl's quality is such that exposure to scouts does her more harm than good, she probably shouldn't be playing in a recruitment-focused league to begin with.
                    Aha! A voice of reason! Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. In our experience playing ECNL with my "bubble" player daughter, it is clear that our ECNL team coach is doing a mix of both - exploiting players for cash and making sure "Suzie" is available if there is an injury. What absolutely boggles me is that he gives near 100% playing time to players #1 to #8. He is frustrated when they lose, but it is so obvious to me that his core lineup isn't working. Change it up. Take a risk. Don't give Suzie who you thought was really talented at tryouts only 5 minutes playing time to prove herself. If the star players get 100% playing time and they aren't effective, then how do you expect Suzie to do miracles in 5 minutes? Sure, I've seen it happen before, but it's very rare. My perspective is that if these bubble players were good enough to get selected, then they should be good enough to play, but they have to be given the opportunity and playing time to prove themselves. Five minutes to 15 minutes is not enough.

Comment

I have one more add to my post. More advice. The rosters are pretty much set for GDA and ECNL. The coaches already know before tryouts who they will be playing the entire year. If you dare try out for ECNL or GDA, be very careful. Ask the coach what positions they need the most help with. If they answer that they are looking for talented players in general that can play all positions, then they are avoiding your question. Do some research and ask other parents with GDA and ECNL where they believe the weaknesses are on the team. If your daughter plays one of those positions, then go for it. If GDA and ECNL already have strong players in the positions your daughter plays, then give up. It's not worth trying out GIVEN THE COACHES WE HAVE IN OREGON. They are too biased and cannot open opportunities to new players.
                      Sounds like you've finally been hit by the realization bus mom. Check into your local Timbers club. She will finally get the attention and playing time you believe she deserves. Best wishes.

Comment

Thank you for chiming in. I wasn't the one who posted "ECNL is not for the faint of heart." I was the one who started the whole thread on "questions to ECNL parents who have daughters riding the pine." Without revealing my identity, I will share with you that we are very familiar with 75% of the players on GDA and the same for both ECNL teams. There is tremendous talent on both ECNL teams as well as the GDA team. I am a bit tired of each side (ECNL and GDA) cutting each other down. Both sides have confirmation bias, so it is difficult to participate in a rationale discussion with any side. I will tell you that RIGHT NOW, ECNL league is extremely competitive and although our two ECNL teams don't show great results, the games they play are really competitive. Both teams might lose by one or two points at the most, so they aren't being killed in the matches, nor are the other teams they play dominating. ECNL is a fantastic program for players #1-#14. They get the exposure they need to colleges and the level of play is superior. GDA is too new for me to have an opinion but I do know that players #1-#14 on GDA are really good. The ones who suffer the most are the benchwarmers who show up to every practice, train outside of practice, attend every game without getting any minutes, and attend every travel trip without getting minutes and paying $600-$800 for each trip. They watch their #1-#14 teammates play the game they love, and it diminishes their morale and their confidence. I know because my daughter is a benchwarmer on an ECNL team. I'm reaching out to folks on this post who might be considering ECNL or GDA. I feel it is my duty to warn them and spare their daughters any misery as I know tryouts are around the corner. Again, players #1-#14 are already identified on all ECNL and GDA teams. If you are 100% confident your daughter is better than players #1-#14 then go for it ,but if you don't have 100% confidence, don't go to those tryouts.
                        You do realize that GDA is new in 2017.. there are no current teams...and no one has played a game yet..

Comment

You do realize that GDA is new in 2017.. there are no current teams...and no one has played a game yet..
                          Yes, I know, however the GDA team in Oregon will have the same roster as last year from Thorns Academy. So what's your point? the current Thorns Academy roster that will transition to GDA will be the same. Year one will be experimental. ECNL is more mature and will still have top level competition FOR NOW. In 3 years, things may change...

Comment

Aha! A voice of reason! Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. In our experience playing ECNL with my "bubble" player daughter, it is clear that our ECNL team coach is doing a mix of both - exploiting players for cash and making sure "Suzie" is available if there is an injury. What absolutely boggles me is that he gives near 100% playing time to players #1 to #8. He is frustrated when they lose, but it is so obvious to me that his core lineup isn't working. Change it up. Take a risk. Don't give Suzie who you thought was really talented at tryouts only 5 minutes playing time to prove herself. If the star players get 100% playing time and they aren't effective, then how do you expect Suzie to do miracles in 5 minutes? Sure, I've seen it happen before, but it's very rare. My perspective is that if these bubble players were good enough to get selected, then they should be good enough to play, but they have to be given the opportunity and playing time to prove themselves. Five minutes to 15 minutes is not enough.
                            Tryouts are coming up, then, so ask the coach point blank. You probably can get similar levels of coaching at any good OYSA club. The major selling point of ECNL is exposure. So as a paying customer, your DD should receive some.

That said--what are your expectations for your DD? Do you think she is getting benched in favor of less-talented teammates, or simply not being given a chance to improve? If the former--that may be a difficult conversation to have; coaches get very annoyed when parents criticize their daughter's teammates (after all, all parents are biased, even if the judgment of coaches is not perfect). You might find out that your coach disagrees with you, and cites you chapter and verse of why and where your DD needs to improve.

If the latter--and you agree with your child's positioning on the team pecking order, but simply disagree with the rationing of playing time--that may be an easier conversation to have, but you might not like the answer. Some coaches simply focus on wins more than they should (ECNL shouldn't be so mercenary, given its stated values) and keep a short bench. Or, your daughter might be an actual liability on the field--a worse-than-replacement-level player who needs to prove her worth in practice before she is trusted in games. This is especially true if she's playing defense, where mistakes often mean a goal for the other team.

That said--what does your daughter want out of the program? Does she enjoy the challenge even if she doesn't get to play? Is she (or you) expecting to finance her college education with a soccer scholarship and the coach's subbing patterns are interfering with this grand scheme?

I'm also a "bubble parent", so I have quite a bit of sympathy. It can be frustrating to be good enough at something to know what success is, and be tempted to pursue it, but not be able to reach it. Both for the parents and for the kids.

Comment

I'm all for a coach experimenting and hate when players get pigeon holed into a position especially when they are young. But let's not kid ourselves, OR teams generally don't have depth and the ability level drops off quickly. So let me flip this around, if the starters who have earned their spots and are better players can't get the job done, how does subbing lesser players help anyone? It's an unfortunate situation that even our best players are often outmatched, doesn't mean they aren't the best players on the team. Also doesn't mean you just sub the next players and hope for some miracle either. Its a hard reality when you're outmatched, easy for everyone to get frustrated.

Comment

Yes, I know, however the GDA team in Oregon will have the same roster as last year from Thorns Academy. So what's your point? the current Thorns Academy roster that will transition to GDA will be the same. Year one will be experimental. ECNL is more mature and will still have top level competition FOR NOW. In 3 years, things may change...
                                That's not the word coming out of recent Thorns practices. It's been made very clear that there are no guarantees of a roster spot for current Thorns Academy players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X