Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thorns shouldn't panic. Just go out and find $30,000 to replace the exorbitant try out fees. Done deal easy.
    $30,000 for two days. Four hours total?

Comment

That's obscene. Most try outs are nominal fees.

I thought US Soccer prohibited them charging any try out fee?

Have they ever explained why they are charging this much? Doesn't US Soccer rules say no try out fee?

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
        no one who is interested in the program is complaining about the tryout fee. It's $125 but if your kid makes the roster it's an $8k package for $2k all in. If your kid is awesome and you can't afford the $125 call the timbers and ask to have it waived. The only people in here who keep repeating this nonsense are ecnl parents who are freaking out and can't find anything else to complain about. Get over it already.
        bingo

Comment

$30,000 for two days. Four hours total?
          Bingo!

Comment

Have they ever explained why they are charging this much? Doesn't US Soccer rules say no try out fee?
            More interested why they are spending 8K on every player selected.

That's outrageous and a game changer

Comment

There is no excuse for a $125 try out fee. Unlesx the goal is to prevent kids from trying out.
              A tryout fee of $125 acheived what purpose? There is no good purpose that I've heard except to make piles of cash.

Comment

Pointing out that GDA is charging $125 tryout fee in direct violation of printed GDA rules is panic? Ok.

Pointing out that Thorns GDA practicing 3 times per week is not in line with GDA's directive of 4 practices a week is panic? Alright.

Pointing out that Thorns GDA teams having doubleheaders is in direct violation of GDA's written policy of one game per week is panic? I see.

I am a TA parent. I would be in total and complete support of a true GDA system that followed the stated GDA policies and directives and guidelines. On paper at least it appears to be a great program. What we have in Oregon is not GDA. It is a team playing with the Thorns name, in the GDA leagues (eventually), following some but not most of the GDA rules and philosophies and directives. This is of great concern to me. They haven't even had tryouts yet and they are already bending and modifying and adjusting and changing. What's to prevent them from modifying or adjusting or changing their fee structure halfway through the season?

I would be in complete support of a legitimate GDA program in Oregon. That is not what we have.
                Any explanation as to why they are only practicing 2-3 days per week? Double headers? Exorbitant try out fees? All going against the US Soccer rules on the website. Puzzling.

Comment

Any explanation as to why they are only practicing 2-3 days per week? Double headers? Exorbitant try out fees? All going against the US Soccer rules on the website. Puzzling.
                  Where did you get 2 days from? They have been practicing 3 days per week all this year already when not in the DA. ECNL do double headers when they travel - good idea as it keeps costs down.

Comment

Everyone can make up their own rules.

Comment

Where did you get 2 days from? They have been practicing 3 days per week all this year already when not in the DA. ECNL do double headers when they travel - good idea as it keeps costs down.
                      Not exactly. ECNL does two games in two days of a weekend. "Doubleheader" implies two games in one day. And the reason this is a concern is that GDA has been touted as the new and improved next step in women's development. As doing things better than ECNL. As maintaining a training/game ratio of 4 trainings/week to 1 game/week. And now your defense is "ECNL does it too." Wow.

Comment

Everyone can make up their own rules.
                        Obviously they can make up their own rules because they are. Think he's pointing out that US Soccer said Ecnl & other programs were failing and needed to do min 4x trainings per week, limiting games to only one per weekend, not playing HS or any other soccer nor any other sports,etc. Ok, fine. But then Thorns turns around and goes against most of what GDA was supposed to be about as the only true way to develop. Personally, I don't care one way or the other but I do see his point.

Comment

Obviously they can make up their own rules because they are. Think he's pointing out that US Soccer said Ecnl & other programs were failing and needed to do min 4x trainings per week, limiting games to only one per weekend, not playing HS or any other soccer nor any other sports,etc. Ok, fine. But then Thorns turns around and goes against most of what GDA was supposed to be about as the only true way to develop. Personally, I don't care one way or the other but I do see his point.
                          Last time I checked the NWSL Portland Thorns GDA program hadn't picked a single player yet, let alone had any training or games. The coaching staff is going to continue to shuffle as the OSAA isn't going allow any of their member high schools coaches to do the DA program that deny's kids the chance to play in HS and limits them to playing year round in the DA and coach at an OSAA member HS school. That's a serious mixed message and a bona fide conflict of interest. A few specials will get a HS waiver in year one, but moving forward it's DA or HS not swimming in both pools. See the Boys DA as an example.

If your kid doesn't tryout or isn't up to the level their looking for why would you even care?

Comment

Last time I checked the NWSL Portland Thorns GDA program hadn't picked a single player yet, let alone had any training or games. The coaching staff is going to continue to shuffle as the OSAA isn't going allow any of their member high schools coaches to do the DA program that deny's kids the chance to play in HS and limits them to playing year round in the DA and coach at an OSAA member HS school. That's a serious mixed message and a bona fide conflict of interest. A few specials will get a HS waiver in year one, but moving forward it's DA or HS not swimming in both pools. See the Boys DA as an example.

If your kid doesn't tryout or isn't up to the level their looking for why would you even care?
                            Does that mean CU and FC PDX club coaches can apply for any coaching vacancies in the DA if they have an 'A' license?

Comment

Does that mean CU and FC PDX club coaches can apply for any coaching vacancies in the DA if they have an 'A' license?
                              Yes. They can.

Comment

Very few coaches have an A license. There is a grandfather period of course. In BDA it took years for coaches to meet the requirements. In the meantime at the majority of clubs you'll have the same coaches you have now. There just aren't enough top coaches to go around

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X