Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Recruitment Question

I'm afraid this conversation is going to head South quickly, but it's an honest one.

My daughter wants to play college soccer. Currently, she isn't playing ECNL or Thorns. I'm not a fan of ODP. I know that ECNL gets girls a lot of exposure, but how does that work if you are a bench player? How do those girls get noticed? If my daughter were to try out for ECNL and make the team, what happens if she doesn't make the field - or plays 10 minutes in the games?

Is she better off playing premier? Maybe she could try playing up a year on an OYSA team for more of a challenge and possibly more playing time? Do clubs allow play-ups anymore? Thoughts?

Do you have a better chance getting noticed by college coaches on an ECNL team no matter what? Or is it better to play premier and get the playing time during games?

She doesn't need a full-ride scholarship, but she's not going to play Community College soccer either.

Well you are already putting down her options by saying she wont play community college either.

Honestly the idea that you have to be ENCL or Thorns to play college soccer is just a lie. If your kid is good enough they will be recognized. I would say being a star on a Good team outside of ENCL or Thorns would be better for recognition compared to being a bench player on those teams. Non ENCL and Thorns teams typically do college showcase tournaments as well, so they will get looked at one way or another. I would recommend though at least playing on one of the top 5ish teams outside of ENCL or Thorns if that is your goal though.

At the end of the day all ENCL and Thorns do is give you more chances to be seen, but its still up to your child to take advantage of that. But at the same time other teams are going to give you chances to be exposed to the same elements, just not as often.

Comment

If your DD is interested in college soccer, she needs to be busy contacting coaches and recruiters. Simply expecting to Play In The Right League and have a line of scouts at the front door is not going to work (unless she's the next Mia Hamm, in which case it doesn't matter where she plays).

But for those players who a) are good enough to play NCAA ball, but b) not the sort of superstars who can write their own ticket, it's you who need to be knocking on doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I'm afraid this conversation is going to head South quickly, but it's an honest one.

My daughter wants to play college soccer. Currently, she isn't playing ECNL or Thorns. I'm not a fan of ODP. I know that ECNL gets girls a lot of exposure, but how does that work if you are a bench player? How do those girls get noticed? If my daughter were to try out for ECNL and make the team, what happens if she doesn't make the field - or plays 10 minutes in the games?

Is she better off playing premier? Maybe she could try playing up a year on an OYSA team for more of a challenge and possibly more playing time? Do clubs allow play-ups anymore? Thoughts?

Do you have a better chance getting noticed by college coaches on an ECNL team no matter what? Or is it better to play premier and get the playing time during games?

She doesn't need a full-ride scholarship, but she's not going to play Community College soccer either.
        What many fail to mention about ECNL is the speed of play. College coaches ECNL because the speed of play prepares them for college

Comment

If your DD is interested in college soccer, she needs to be busy contacting coaches and recruiters. Simply expecting to Play In The Right League and have a line of scouts at the front door is not going to work (unless she's the next Mia Hamm, in which case it doesn't matter where she plays).

But for those players who a) are good enough to play NCAA ball, but b) not the sort of superstars who can write their own ticket, it's you who need to be knocking on doors.
          This is exactly right. Most non D1 schools really don't have a lot of money to put towards recruitment, so its important to figure out a list of places she/he would like to go and do the leg work to get your child on their radar. The team you are on wont make much of a difference once you get their attention. If they like your child they aren't going to not offer them a spot because they play for team A and not team B.

Comment

What many fail to mention about ECNL is the speed of play. College coaches ECNL because the speed of play prepares them for college
            I get that ECNL plays at a faster speed of play. But how do girls get recruited that don't play much? If my daughter makes the team, she won't be a star. I would assume she'd get 10-15 minutes, or maybe not make all rosters. How do bench riders get those college coaches attention? Do they guest play with other teams?

Do all ECNL team members get SOME playing time?

Comment

How many girls from each premier team, Thorns Acedmy and Ecnl team actually get recruited and get to play in college? Is it everyone or only the top starters?

Comment

College coaches don't watch non-ECNL games any more. Just the facts.

Comment

College coaches don't watch ECNL games any more. Just the facts.
                  That's a lot of money if you don't get exposure.

Comment

College coaches don't watch non-ECNL games any more. Just the facts.
                    When someone ends a post with "just the facts", chances are that person is not providing any.

Comment

I get that ECNL plays at a faster speed of play. But how do girls get recruited that don't play much? If my daughter makes the team, she won't be a star. I would assume she'd get 10-15 minutes, or maybe not make all rosters. How do bench riders get those college coaches attention? Do they guest play with other teams?

Someone can correct me as I do not know all the facts on this, but from my understanding there is an ENCL pool of players, which means theres no gaurantee that your Daughter will make the squad who actually plays in the games. Whether they guest play with other teams in the club I do not know. However, the other teams in the club are much worse than the non ENCL top teams, so if thats where your duaghter falls it makes more sense to play for a non ENCL clubs A team and get playing time and know you are getting playing time.

Comment

Onyx had 21 girls on their team sign NLIs this February. Not all played equally

Comment

TO be fair, not all offers are the same and all teams are not Onyx.

Comment

NLI or "Committment"

TO be fair, not all offers are the same and all teams are not Onyx.
                            where those NLI or "commitments" ? NLI is an official agreement guaranteeing Athletic Scholarship (but not any specific amount) A "committment" is I plan play soccer at this school (may or may not be scholarship). Some Clubs throw signing days on social media and state NLI when they are in fact just "commitments"

Comment

Onyx didn't even do Ecnl until 17 and certainly didn't develop them any more and some say less then they were.

NLI doesn't mean they got anything. I know for a fact that a lot got no money or very little. Doesn't mean much when you can find 5-10 of players like that at every club.

Ecnl means nothing. Doesn't change the quality of teams from this state except the underdevelopment of the kids at the younger age. Doesn't change the number of college placements and some would argue this year was less.

Go where your kid is actually getting better. If they are good they will get noticed. If your kid is #10-18 you would be wasting more of your time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X