Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    we can agree to disagree. i think terrible things can and have happened.Its not about league. its about what adults you trust to be around your children and what level of supervision and accountability a Club takes in hiring staff. That to me is not trivial. it matters a lot.
    Most times all is well. It's a free market and families have many choices out there. Where it becomes an issue is if your kid has a coach that literally sucks the love of the game out of kids. Been there; it's no fun. Thank god a coaching change the next year resurrected the situation. Also you can do all the homework but coaches change unexpectedly, teams implode, clubs implode. Never pre-pay anything in club soccer :)

Comment

Most times all is well. It's a free market and families have many choices out there. Where it becomes an issue is if your kid has a coach that literally sucks the love of the game out of kids. Been there; it's no fun. Thank god a coaching change the next year resurrected the situation. Also you can do all the homework but coaches change unexpectedly, teams implode, clubs implode. Never pre-pay anything in club soccer :)
      I wish we didn't have to pre-pay but our club is basically the only real choice for girls in our geographic area and are well aware they hold all of the power. The club requires you to give your commitment before they hold tryouts. They do not tell you if you're on the 1st or 2nd team, who the coaches are or what league(s) they're playing until well after the season finishes, despite holding tryouts in early May. You just have to sign over some serious money without any of the details, with fingers crossed things work out.

Comment

I wish we didn't have to pre-pay but our club is basically the only real choice for girls in our geographic area and are well aware they hold all of the power. The club requires you to give your commitment before they hold tryouts. They do not tell you if you're on the 1st or 2nd team, who the coaches are or what league(s) they're playing until well after the season finishes, despite holding tryouts in early May. You just have to sign over some serious money without any of the details, with fingers crossed things work out.
        Happens a lot. If you need to leave even as early as the fall you're stuck with the contracted amount (unless you get really lucky and the club agrees to let you out of your remaining balance). Clubs really do hold too many cards.

Comment

like everything, its all in the details. terms like Club and HS are bandied about with no regard for specific situations. I love the last post that says

The game would benefit, players and parents would benefit, from those parent consumers being A LOT more informed about what they're buying and why they're buying it.

this is the line that sums most of it up. I have no issue with anyone knowingly buying a product but so many of the consumers have no real idea as to what they are buying and what motivates the person selling it.

On balance ,playing soccer has been a great experience for my kids but that includes some bad periods in both Club and Hs soccer.

I wish posters just shared thier own experiences as opposed to telling others what they should feel, think or do.
          My experience is that my kids found town soccer very frustrating because of the wide range of abilities and commitment on a single team. They love club soccer largely because they have made friends who are equally serious about the game. My wife and I have made big financial and time sacrifices to support their club soccer, but it worth it to see them grow as people and players. Now not having to play high school is great for them, but my wife and I miss talking to our old friends on the sidelines. It is up to parents to figure out for themselves if this type of sacrifice is worth it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X