Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A really good coach put their kids in the right places to have enough success to enjoy it, but also be pushed. They help with development while helping the child not get burned out and still enjoy the game.

My kids want to win, flat out. They do win and then that drives them intrinsically to want to work harder to stay at the top. If my kids didn't win, they would be playing basketball, volleyball or lacrosse.

Development for development's sake is not motivating to elite athletes. Mediocre athletes might find that interesting.

Comment

My kids want to win, flat out. They do win and then that drives them intrinsically to want to work harder to stay at the top. If my kids didn't win, they would be playing basketball, volleyball or lacrosse.

Development for development's sake is not motivating to elite athletes. Mediocre athletes might find that interesting.
      I never said development for development's sake. My kids have won multiple games, titles, tournaments, etc. But the ones that matter the most are those they win as they have grown older. They enjoy the success by appreciating the work to get there. The same was true for me. That 10 year old title doesn't matter nearly as much as the high school title, and more so the college or professional ones. What will keep your kids motivated to lift weights or work out in their free time? How do they win at that?
      Winning and intrinsic drive are opposites. Intrinsic drive comes from within and is intangible. It is unaffected by external factors such as victory or defeat. If your kids would quit soccer based on lack of wins, they are not intrinsically driven. A loss can be intrinsically rewarding if you play at your peak. Winning is extrinsic. It is rewarded with trophies, recognition, etc.
      Thanks for the lesson on what motivates elite vs mediocre athletes. I would argue that all athletes are mediocre at age 12.

Comment

And I hope you don't coach. You are the coach at U11/12 where they win cuz they have 2-3 studs and they put them up top and get them the ball and go win. The rest of the kids learn little to nothing. But hey we got WINS!!!! Those top 2-3 kids will either leave in a few years to a better team, or get burned out, because as other teams/kids develop they are less successful and don't know why and get frustrated because they didn't learn anything. And if they do leave the kids that are left now have to drop a few levels in play and are frustrated that they aren't winning now, and half of them quit.

Comment

The long term vision is what drives the most athletic kids out of soccer.

Comment

Or the coach who doesn't understand that kids could give a crap about development at 11 years old. They care about experience.

Driving to Spokane for a league game and never having a chance to win a state cup may seem like development to a coach who doesn't know any better but how do you think Oregon clubs have managed to claim they are good when in all reality when they leave the state they get steamrolled.
            I don’t think it matters at this point. We are already driving to Eugene, bend and Medford to play games. I’m sure Vantucky will attract Oregon players that are looking for a challenging experience

Comment

I still find it funny all this talks about 3 teams who might play in a different league.

Comment

Seems like a lot of driving for young girls, did WAT buy some vans to transport all these kids playing in the Washington league? If they had Eugene and Bend were in their brackets last year they were doing it anyways I suppose.
                The Thornz Asylum vans are becoming available when the GDA folds up in June.

Comment

Like it or not, many kids want to win. Some care about trophies, some just want to come away with a victory on Saturday. Some kids and families are even willing to cheat to do so (using a bogus ID to play in the wrong age group, for instance). And some clubs go along with this.

At this age, playing "win at all costs" soccer is counter-productive, IF you care about long-term development. But 99% of kids are completely free of the delusion that they will ever be professionals; and outside first-class soccer, who really cares if you can play possession-based soccer? Might as well boot it long; even if you lose the ball the other team will give it back to you.

Comment

I still find it funny all this talks about 3 teams who might play in a different league.
                    The top boy's teams have been playing in RCL for a couple of years now.

Comment

The Thornz Asylum vans are becoming available when the GDA folds up in June.
                      Tryouts are in May.

Comment

The top boy's teams have been playing in RCL for a couple of years now.

Yes the high school boys have been, because they play a different season. But on the girls side this is about 3 teams.

Comment

Interesting thing is top 06s in Washington will be playing in the GDA, since next years GDA is an 05/06 mix. The rest of the top 06 Washington girls will be playing in ECNL, so these squads will be traveling to play lower level A teams and big club B teams (that’s if they get put in Division 1) which isn’t guaranteed. Not sure if competition will be any better for the 06 age group.

Comment

Interesting thing is top 06s in Washington will be playing in the GDA, since next years GDA is an 05/06 mix. The rest of the top 06 Washington girls will be playing in ECNL, so these squads will be traveling to play lower level A teams and big club B teams (that’s if they get put in Division 1) which isn’t guaranteed. Not sure if competition will be any better for the 06 age group.
                            WA "C" teams are usually better than anything in OYSA Premier.

Comment

You don't seem to know that the best players in Washington are not doing Ecnl. Even the ones that are are better than anything from Oregon. But the top teams from rcl including PAC NW Spokane black hills ase pretty much the top 6 clubs not doing either are better than anything from Oregon.

Comment

PacNW is getting ECNL. GDA is single aged for 04 and 05 next year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X