Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former USMNT player Eddie Johnson thoughts on ECNL College Showcase

Former USMNT player Eddie Johnson: I’m literally watching the U-17 girls ECNL college showcase here in Orlando, Florida and I can’t believe the level of play of girls in our country at 17 years old technically and tactically it’s embarrassing and disappointing to the sport.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...80983333187590

I’m literally looking at these games and I don’t know how these college coaches can watch and what are they looking for when the ball is in the air 95 percent of the time. Soccer is a creative game and requires intelligent players.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...81729894023168

There’s nothing intelligent in watching a player smack the the ball as hard as they can up the field when they have time and space. This is shocking.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...81974795362304

I really feel bad watching all these clubs steal these parents hard earned money and aren’t developing their kids properly.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...83016933023750

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Former USMNT player Eddie Johnson: I’m literally watching the U-17 girls ECNL college showcase here in Orlando, Florida and I can’t believe the level of play of girls in our country at 17 years old technically and tactically it’s embarrassing and disappointing to the sport.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...80983333187590

I’m literally looking at these games and I don’t know how these college coaches can watch and what are they looking for when the ball is in the air 95 percent of the time. Soccer is a creative game and requires intelligent players.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...81729894023168

There’s nothing intelligent in watching a player smack the the ball as hard as they can up the field when they have time and space. This is shocking.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...81974795362304

I really feel bad watching all these clubs steal these parents hard earned money and aren’t developing their kids properly.

https://twitter.com/eddie_johnson7/s...83016933023750
    Up next will be the rubes who will claim that EJ should shut up.

But, the writing is on the wall...he is not the first to realize our position and our nat’l team results, at all levels, are even more telling

Comment

Up next will be the rubes who will claim that EJ should shut up.

But, the writing is on the wall...he is not the first to realize our position and our nat’l team results, at all levels, are even more telling
      As long as it's positioned that the goal is to get $$ of college, then the low bar is set and parents don't care.

From a fan perspective, I'd like to see better play. But, from a financial perspective, sadly my goal is for the education.

Comment

With the exception of a few clubs, maybe a region or two, it's not like GDA is light years better. All it's done is water down the landscape further with talent, coaches and resources. Neither league will fix what ails us. USSF didn't have to copy BDA step for step. They had ten years of learning they should have taken into account. nor did they take HS and college into account. Time for a reboot before it gets worse.

Comment

With the exception of a few clubs, maybe a region or two, it's not like GDA is light years better. All it's done is water down the landscape further with talent, coaches and resources. Neither league will fix what ails us. USSF didn't have to copy BDA step for step. They had ten years of learning they should have taken into account. nor did they take HS and college into account. Time for a reboot before it gets worse.
          Must turn the narrative onto GDA. I know this is about ECNL, but MUST turn this onto GDA...

Comment

Must turn the narrative onto GDA. I know this is about ECNL, but MUST turn this onto GDA...
            While it was quite a pivot, I think the overall message from Eddie's tweets is that nothing that is in play now - ECNL, GDA, NPL, EDP, a million other acronyms, or College Soccer is producing the quality of players needed to continue to compete at the national level.

The priorities in US youth competitive soccer are:

1) Profits ($)
            2) Salaries ($)
            3) Scholarships ($)
            4) Egos
            5) Bragging Rights
            130) Player Development
            131) Affordability
            132) Accessibility

Comment

While it was quite a pivot, I think the overall message from Eddie's tweets is that nothing that is in play now - ECNL, GDA, NPL, EDP, a million other acronyms, or College Soccer is producing the quality of players needed to continue to compete at the national level.

The priorities in US youth competitive soccer are:

1) Profits ($)
              2) Salaries ($)
              3) Scholarships ($)
              4) Egos
              5) Bragging Rights
              130) Player Development
              131) Affordability
              132) Accessibility
              You think.

Comment

You think.
                .Yes.

Comment

ECNL is nothing more than a marketing brand. My daughter plays ECNL, and sometimes I'm dismayed at what I see at games. It leaves me scratching my head.

Comment

Neither is working. THAT is the point.

Comment

Neither is working. THAT is the point.
                      Thanks. I read what Eddie J was writing, what he saw and what he viewed, and can't see where he said anything about GDA. Maybe I missed it...can you help me on that?

Comment

ECNL is nothing more than a marketing brand. My daughter plays ECNL, and sometimes I'm dismayed at what I see at games. It leaves me scratching my head.
                        You wouldn't find much better in GDA, especially in the NE. We would have considered GDA more seriously if we lived elsewhere, but we don't. Pick your local poison.

Comment

You wouldn't find much better in GDA, especially in the NE. We would have considered GDA more seriously if we lived elsewhere, but we don't. Pick your local poison.
                          Do try to stay on point. There's lots of lots of anti-DA threads.

This is a first-hand, unbiased account while watching U17 ECNL girls play.

Just because your kid is ugly doesn't mean all kids are....

Comment

Thanks. I read what Eddie J was writing, what he saw and what he viewed, and can't see where he said anything about GDA. Maybe I missed it...can you help me on that?
                            Only a matter of time before most GDA fans will chime in and crow about their league. I'd like to see what he has to say about that league as well.

Comment

Do try to stay on point. There's lots of lots of anti-DA threads.

This is a first-hand, unbiased account while watching U17 ECNL girls play.

Just because your kid is ugly doesn't mean all kids are....
                              Meant to add...when the deflections come they are based on insecurity.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X